This coconut ice cream is sweet, creamy, and uses coconut milk! Made with just 3 ingredients, there is NO ice cream maker required!
The best coconut ice cream
You might remember that I’ve already showed you a few dairy free ice cream recipes- like oat milk ice cream and almond milk ice cream– but neither of them are as creamy as this.
That said, you have two options in how you make it- either in a blender or in a traditional ice cream maker!
Regardless of which option you choose, the ice cream will be sweet, creamy, and perfectly scoopable.
If you are worried that this may taste like coconut, don’t fret: it isn’t overpowering and you can completely mask the flavor!
It’s completely dairy free and refined sugar free, and you can easily make it keto friendly!
Oh, and if you are watching your carbs, each scoop has less than 2 grams of carbs.
What is coconut ice cream made of?
This dessert needs just 3 ingredients to make and if you’ve made any of my other healthy desserts, you’ve probably got them all in your kitchen. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Coconut milk. Full fat and chilled coconut milk from a can. Do not use coconut milk from a carton or your ice cream won’t set.
- Cashew OR almond butter. I enjoy using almond butter, but the cashew option works. If you’d like this recipe to be nut free, you can use tahini or sunflower seed butter.
- Maple syrup. Adds sweetness with no refined sugar. To keep it keto friendly, use keto maple syrup.
How to make coconut milk ice cream
Simple is an understatement when it comes to this recipe.
You follow a simple 3-step process to make it and no ice cream make required.
Ready to make some ice cream?
Step 1- Prepare ice cream
Start by adding all your ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Choose a blender with ice blending capabilities.
Step 2- Let it set
Next, transfer into a loaf tin or freezer friendly container. If you can, place the loaf pan in the freezer first so it can chill prior to adding the mix into it.
Place the coconut milk ice cream mixture into the freezer and for the first hour, stir it every 10-15 minutes. After the first hour, let it freeze for a further 3 hours.
Step 3- Serve
Now, remove the ice cream from the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, to thaw slightly, before scooping and serving.
Can I make this in an ice cream maker?
If you have an ice cream maker, you can definitely make this coconut milk ice cream in it!
Follow the blender directions and freeze the mixture for about 45 minutes. Once it has frozen slightly, transfer it to the ice cream maker. Follow the ice cream maker instructions until thick and creamy. Transfer to the freezer and allow to freeze for an hour.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Freeze your loaf pan/container prior to adding the ice cream mixture into it. This helps the ice cream freeze faster and helps it avoid any freezer burns.
- You must stir the mixture every 10-15 minutes for the first hour. This helps the ice cream from solidifying too quickly and helps make it scoopable.
- For an even creamier and smoother texture, add 1 ounce (1 standard shot) of vodka. This doesn’t add any alcohol flavor.
The beauty of this coconut ice cream recipe is how easy it is to change up the flavor! Here are some of our favorites:
- Peanut butter: Swap out the almond butter for creamy peanut butter.
- Cookie dough: Fold through 1/2 cup of edible cookie dough and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Mint chocolate chip: Add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Caramel pecan: swirl through 1/2 cup of caramel syrup and 1/4 cup of finely chopped pecans.
- Strawberry: Add 1-2 cups of frozen strawberries.
- Chocolate: Add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Lemon coconut: Add 2 teaspoons of lemon extract and 2 tablespoons of coconut flakes.
- To store: Store leftovers in the freezer in its container for up to 2 months.
- To serve: Remove the ice cream from the freezer 15 minutes before serving, to let it thaw out slightly.
More ice cream recipes to try
- Keto ice cream
- Avocado ice cream
- Ice cream bars
- Peanut butter ice cream
- Protein ice cream
- Superman ice cream
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditional coconut ice cream doesn’t have dairy in them. However, sorbets and coconut ice cream blends may contain added dairy or heavy cream.
Be sure to double check the ingredient list to make sure they are certified dairy free.
Both almond milk and coconut milk works well for ice cream, as seen in our almond milk ice cream recipe. However, as coconut milk is higher in fat, it naturally creates a smoother and creamier scoop. You can also try cashew milk (like in cashew milk ice cream).
With no refined sugar or dairy, coconut ice cream is a healthier option. When tweaked correctly, it is suitable for a keto diet.
Coconut Ice Cream with 3 ingredients | Just 2 Minutes prep
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk chilled
- 3/4 cup almond butter or cashew butter * See notes
- 1/4 cup maple syrup ** See notes
- Place a freezer-friendly container or loaf pan in the freezer.
- In a food processor or high speed blender, add all your ingredients and blend well, until thick and creamy. Ensure you regularly scrape down the sides to ensure the mixture is fully combined.
- Pour your coconut ice cream mixture into the pre-frozen container and place in the freezer. For the first hour, stir the ice cream mixture every 15 minutes, before allowing to freeze completely.Allow the ice cream to freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Let the coconut ice cream thaw for 15 minutes, before scooping into bowls, using a slightly wet ice cream scoop.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
thanks, sounds yummy.
What size portion is one scoop?
Also, is this regular coconut milk or unsweetened?
Thank you for the recipe!
Canned coconut milk. Portion size is based on a 1/3 cup serving.
It is so yummy I add chocolate chips instead of coconut chunks. Thank you so much for the recipe
can this recipe be used in popsicle molds, and, if so, can they be left in the freezer for more than a week?
I haven’t tried, feel free to experiment and see!
This recipe is AMAZING! Just made it today and I’m already imagining all the different flavours I could add in. Ice cream is the one thing I’ve been missing this summer. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Thank you so much for the feedback!
Can I use honey instead of the maple syrup?
I don’t see why not!
Can you add almond extract for coconut flavor
What is the cholesterol count on this
Not sure, I don’t calculate that 🙂
Is the almond/cashew butter/tahini a necessary ingredient or is it optional?
I just made this….it is not even hard yet, but licking the spoon is delicious!! I used sunflower butter, agave for the sweetener and almond flavoring, as I didn’t have coconut. OMG, hubby will be pleased, he is the ice cream eater. Love, love, love your sight/recipes.
Looks fantastic. I’m going to make it
Could I use powdered pb for this? And does it have a pb flavor as default because of the use of peanutbutter?
No that won’t work .
can I use honey instead of maple syrup or agave nectar?
I haven’t tried but I don’t see why not!
Hi Arman ,
Greetings from Florida!
I just found your site and am really looking forward to sharing in your wonderful recipes. Coconut Milk Ice Cream will be my first.
Please tell me the best container to use to store your ice creams/frozen deserts. Are you speaking of a metal loaf pan covered with plastic or a glass loaf pan? Or is there a brand of plastic w/cover suitable for storing ice cream?
Thanks for your time and have a great day….
like a metal or glass pan 🙂
Easy and very tasty! I made it with almond butter, coconut whipping cream and sugar free maple syrup to keep it keto. Soooo yummie!!