An easy recipe for keto and low carb coconut milk ice cream made with just 3 ingredients! Smooth, creamy, and ready in minutes, it’s made without dairy and sugar free, but you’d never tell! It’s no churn, meaning no ice cream maker needed!
Keto Coconut Milk Ice Cream
I often get asked if you can eat ice cream on a keto diet.
You may have seen a plethora of keto ice creams available on the market now. HaloTop, one of the more popular ‘healthy ice creams’ have even just released a keto range.
I’ve been meaning to do a simple coconut milk ice cream, after devouring the most delicious coconut milk ice cream bars.
As someone who’d rather have the cup than the cone, I knew I had to create a deliciously creamy coconut milk ice cream. For all my coconut lovers out there, we have a new version LOADED with all the coconut flavor!
Smooth, creamy, and melts in your mouth, it’s perfect hard scoop style or soft-serve style.
Naturally low carb, keto, and sugar free, it’s also vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and paleo!
How to make coconut milk ice cream from scratch
- Place your coconut milk in the refrigerator to chill
- Prepare a freezer-friendly loaf pan or container and place in the freezer, to cool down
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine all your ingredients and blend until thick and creamy, regularly scraping down the sides
- Transfer the ice cream mixture into the pre-frozen pan/container.
- Place in the freezer, and for the first hour, regularly stir the mixture to ensure it doesn’t freeze into an ice block
- Allow freezing for 2-3 hours
- Allow the ice cream to thaw at room temperature for 20-25 minutes, before scooping into bowls
Ingredients and Substitutions
Making this easy keto coconut milk ice cream is so simple and needs 3 ingredients. As always, I have tried a bunch of alternatives to be able to provide some substitution ideas!
- Cashew Butter
- Coconut Milk
- Keto Maple Syrup
- Coconut Extract (optional!)
Adding cashew butter provides a rich flavor, without being overpowering. You won’t taste much cashew flavor, and will also be left with gorgeous cream-colored ice cream.
Ensure the coconut milk you use is from a can, and full-fat. Using lite (or low fat) coconut milk will not yield the same results.
Avoid using coconut milk from a carton (or any other milk) as your ice cream will not be thick or creamy.
Keto Maple Syrup
To keep this recipe low carb, keto-friendly, and sugar free, I used keto maple syrup. It’s the only keto-approved sticky sweetener that replicates traditional maple syrup.
For a more pronounced coconut flavor, and a dash of coconut extract to the ice cream! Feel free to omit, or replace it with vanilla extract.
Frequently Asked Questions about Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Is coconut milk allowed on keto?
Well, if it isn’t I’m in quite a bit of trouble…
Just kidding! Coconut milk is 100% suitable for a keto diet and is one of the most commonly used keto staple ingredients.
I prefer using canned coconut milk, both for recipes and for everyday consumption, but coconut milk from a carton is perfectly acceptable too! Just be wary that it must be 100% unsweetened with no added sugar!
Is coconut milk low in carbs?
Unlike traditional milk or even some other nut milk out there, coconut milk is extremely low in carbs.
Per half-cup serving, you’d be looking at less than 1 gram net carb.
Compare that to soy milk, which racks in around 10 grams of carbs per serve!
How long does coconut ice cream last?
Keto coconut milk ice cream can keep for at least a week but it is best to enjoy in one serving.
Refreezing ice cream will often lead to an icy texture. If your ice cream becomes too icy, you can thaw slightly and reblend until a soft-serve consistency and enjoy it that way!
Do not keep coconut milk ice cream frozen for longer than 7 days.
Can you make no-churn coconut ice cream in an ice cream maker?
If you have an ice cream maker, you can definitely make this coconut milk ice cream in it!
Follow the blender directions and freeze the mixture for about 45 minutes. Once it has frozen slightly, transfer to the ice cream maker. Follow the ice cream maker instructions until thick and creamy.
Transfer to the freezer and allow to freeze for an hour.
How to make keto coconut ice cream nut-free
Easily make this creamy coconut ice cream nut-free!
More delicious coconut dessert recipes
- 3 Ingredient Coconut Bars
- Coconut Brownies
- Keto Coconut Cups
- Chocolate Coconut Balls
- Chocolate Coconut Bars
3 Ingredient Keto Coconut Ice Cream (No churn, vegan, paleo)
- Place a freezer-friendly container or loaf pan in the freezer.
- In a food processor or high speed blender, add all your ingredients and blend well, until thick and creamy. Ensure you regularly scrape down the sides to ensure the mixture is fully combined.
- Pour your coconut ice cream mixture into the pre-frozen container and place in the freezer. For the first hour, stir the ice cream mixture every 15 minutes, before allowing to freeze completely.Allow the ice cream to freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Let the coconut ice cream thaw for 25-30 minutes, before scooping into bowls, using a slightly wet ice cream scoop.
- Top with coconut flakes and enjoy.