This coconut ice cream is sweet, creamy, and uses coconut milk! Made with just 3 ingredients, there is NO ice cream maker required!
The best coconut ice cream recipe
That said, you have two options in how you make it- either in a blender or in a traditional ice cream maker!
Regardless of which option you choose, the ice cream will be sweet, creamy, and perfectly scoopable.
If you are worried that this may taste like coconut, don’t fret: it isn’t overpowering and you can completely mask the flavor!
It’s completely dairy free and refined sugar free, and you can easily make it keto friendly!
What is coconut ice cream made of?
This dessert needs just 3 ingredients to make and if you’ve made any of my other healthy desserts, you’ve probably got them all in your kitchen. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Coconut milk. Full fat and chilled coconut milk from a can. Do not use coconut milk from a carton or your ice cream won’t set.
- Cashew OR almond butter. I enjoy using almond butter, but the cashew option works. If you’d like this recipe to be nut free, you can use tahini or sunflower seed butter.
- Maple syrup. Adds sweetness with no refined sugar. To keep it keto friendly, use keto maple syrup.
How to make coconut milk ice cream
Step 1- Prepare ice cream
Start by adding all your ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Choose a blender with ice blending capabilities.
Step 2- Let it set
Next, transfer into a loaf tin or freezer friendly container. If you can, place the loaf pan in the freezer first so it can chill prior to adding the mix into it.
Place the coconut milk ice cream mixture into the freezer and for the first hour, stir it every 10-15 minutes. After the first hour, let it freeze for a further 3 hours.
Step 3- Serve
Now, remove the ice cream from the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, to thaw slightly, before scooping and serving.
Can I make this in an ice cream maker?
If you have an ice cream maker, you can definitely make this coconut milk ice cream in it!
Follow the blender directions and freeze the mixture for about 45 minutes. Once it has frozen slightly, transfer it to the ice cream maker. Follow the ice cream maker instructions until thick and creamy. Transfer to the freezer and allow to freeze for an hour.
Tips to make the best coconut ice cream
- Freeze your loaf pan/container prior to adding the ice cream mixture into it. This helps the ice cream freeze faster and helps it avoid any freezer burns.
- You must stir the mixture every 10-15 minutes for the first hour. This helps the ice cream from solidifying too quickly and helps make it scoopable.
- For an even creamier and smoother texture, add 1 ounce (1 standard shot) of vodka. This doesn’t add any alcohol flavor.
The beauty of this coconut ice cream recipe is how easy it is to change up the flavor! Here are some of our favorites:
- Peanut butter: Swap out the almond butter for creamy peanut butter.
- Cookie dough: Fold through 1/2 cup of edible cookie dough and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Mint chocolate chip: Add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Caramel pecan: swirl through 1/2 cup of caramel syrup and 1/4 cup of finely chopped pecans.
- Strawberry: Add 1-2 cups of frozen strawberries.
- Chocolate: Add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Lemon coconut: Add 2 teaspoons of lemon extract and 2 tablespoons of coconut flakes.
- To store: Store leftovers in the freezer in its container for up to 2 months.
- To serve: Remove the ice cream from the freezer 15 minutes before serving, to let it thaw out slightly.
FAQS about this coconut milk ice cream recipe
Does coconut ice cream contain dairy?
Traditional coconut ice cream doesn’t have dairy in them. However, sorbets and coconut ice cream blends may contain added dairy or heavy cream.
Be sure to double check the ingredient list to make sure they are certified dairy free.
Is almond milk or coconut milk better for ice cream?
Both almond milk and coconut milk works well for ice cream, as seen in our almond milk ice cream recipe. However, as coconut milk is higher in fat, it naturally creates a smoother and creamier scoop.
Is coconut ice cream healthy?
With no refined sugar or dairy, coconut ice cream is a healthier option. When tweaked correctly, it is suitable for a keto diet.
More keto ice cream recipes to try
Coconut Ice Cream with just 3 ingredients!
- Place a freezer-friendly container or loaf pan in the freezer.
- In a food processor or high speed blender, add all your ingredients and blend well, until thick and creamy. Ensure you regularly scrape down the sides to ensure the mixture is fully combined.
- Pour your coconut ice cream mixture into the pre-frozen container and place in the freezer. For the first hour, stir the ice cream mixture every 15 minutes, before allowing to freeze completely.Allow the ice cream to freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Let the coconut ice cream thaw for 15 minutes, before scooping into bowls, using a slightly wet ice cream scoop.