Learn how to make delicious superman ice cream with simple ingredients and easy steps. Ready in minutes; this 4 ingredient frozen dessert is a vibrant combo of colors and flavors!
What is superman ice cream?
Superman ice cream is a tri-color dessert that uses the colors of superman: blue, red, and yellow. It was first made in the Midwest United States but soon became popular world wide.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy. The instructions are easy to follow, and you can prepare them in less than an hour.
- Everyone loves it. Want an ice cream recipe that both kids and adults will love? This ticks all the boxes: it’s fun to eat and fun to make!
- Just 4 ingredients. Yes, you read that right: all you need is cream, condensed milk, vanilla extract, and food coloring.
We love to make this ice cream during the summer months and especially whenever we have friends over! It’s also a fun activity to get the kids to help with.
What is superman ice cream made of?
Making this homemade ice cream recipe uses a small and simple ingredient list that can easily be found at any basic grocery store. Here is what you’ll need:
- Whipping cream. Also known as heavy cream or double cream, you must use the full-fat variety.
- Condensed milk. Adds sweetness and thickness.
- Vanilla extract. To add a subtle flavor throughout.
- Food coloring. Red, blue, and yellow food coloring.
How to make it
Simple is an understatement for this recipe. Although this dessert may look complicated, it actually is very simple and follows a simple 4-step process. The hard part is actually waiting for the ice cream to firm up enough to scoop!
Ready to make some ice cream?
Prepare the tools
Start by placing a loaf pan in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, along with the bowl and whisk. This will help the ice cream freeze easier and be void of any icy blocks.
Make the ice cream batter
Next, add vanilla and condensed milk to a mixing bowl and mix well. Gradually stir through the heavy cream until combined. Divide the ice cream mixture into 3 bowls.
Add food color
Now, divide the ice cream mixture into 3 bowls. Add one of each color to each bowl so you’ll be left with a yellow ice cream, a blue ice cream, and a red ice cream.
Divide flavors and freeze
Next, remove the loaf pan from the freezer, and add different flavors into separate sections with the help of a spoon.
Freeze and serve
Finally, transfer the loaf pan back in the freezer and let it freeze. Once frozen, scoop out ice cream and serve immediately.
What flavor is superman ice cream?
While the overall flavor is vanilla, you can add flavor extracts to the different colors to change it up. Here are some ideas:
- Blue – Blueberry, blue vanilla and blue raspberry.
- Red – Cherry, strawberry, bubble gum, and black cherry.
- Yellow – Lemon, banana and custard.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Use chilled dairy ingredients as they will make the ice cream prep seamless and quick.
- This recipe has just a handful of ingredients, so always choose the best quality ones available.
- Always use full fat dairy when making ice cream. Your ice cream will have an icey texture with low-fat options.
- Avoid adding too much food coloring at once. The ice cream will naturally darken as it chills.
Want to make superman ice cream in advance and store it? Use airtight containers for storing in the freezer for up to a month.
More ice cream recipes to try
- Peanut butter ice cream
- Brownie ice cream
- Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream
- Keto ice cream
- Avocado ice cream
Frequently Asked Questions
Most grocery stores stock various brands of superman ice cream. You can also find it at specialty ice cream shops. However, now that you’ve seen just how easy it is to make, you shouldn’t have to buy it!
Unless you add banana extract or flavoring, there will be no banana flavor in the dessert.
Superman Ice Cream Recipe With 4 Ingredients | No Ice Cream Maker Needed
- Place the loaf pan and mixing bowl in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, remove the bowl from the freezer. Using a hand mixer, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, whisk together the condensed milk and vanilla extract.
- Gradually fold through the condensed milk mix into the whipped cream.
- Evenly distribute the ice cream mix amongst 3 small bowls. Add food coloring to each one and mix well.
- Remove the loaf pan from the freezer and drop spoonfuls of each color throughout. Cover the pan and place back into the freezer until frozen.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.