An easy recipe for keto low carb cookie dough ice cream made with just 4 ingredients! Smooth, creamy and made without dairy, you don’t need an ice cream maker to prepare- It’s no churn! Secretly low carb, it’s also paleo, vegan and sugar free!
No Churn Cookie Dough Ice Cream
After making a batch of flourless keto chocolate chip cookies, I needed to make it the star of my next ice cream recipe!
A smooth coconut milk ice cream base with chunks of cookie dough mixed through, it’s smooth, creamy and has the BEST texture! Imagine chunks of cookies in every single bite…you won’t believe it’s keto and low carb. Not only that, it’s paleo, vegan, gluten-free, dairy free and even nut-free!
What kind of cookie dough is in ice cream?
Traditional cookie dough ice cream tends to use actual chunks of raw edible cookie dough.
After trying it out this way, I found that adding some edible eggless cookie dough made the ice cream super thin, so instead, we will use pre-made cookie pieces broken throughout.
Healthy Cookie Dough Ice Cream Ingredients
Making this no churn cookie dough ice cream recipe is so easy and needs just 4 ingredients
- Coconut Milk
- Almond Butter
- Keto Maple Syrup
- Pre-made healthy chocolate chip cookies
Be sure to use full-fat canned coconut milk (not from a carton). This will ensure the mixture will be smooth and creamy.
Almond Butter (and substitutions!)
Peanut butter can also be used, but it will have an overpowering peanut flavor.
Keto Maple Syrup (and substitutions!)
Using keto maple syrup ensures the recipe is keto-friendly, low carb and sugar free.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Chunks
Adding chunks of cookies into the ice cream gives it the delicious chocolate chip cookie dough flavor.
How to make no churn cookie dough ice cream
- Place a freezer friendly container or loaf pan in the freezer to chill
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine your ingredients, except for the cookie chunks, and blend well. Be sure to regularly scrape down the sides.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold through the broken cookie pieces. Transfer the ice cream mixture into the chilled container/loaf pan. Place the mixture into the freezer.
- For the first hour, stir the ice cream mixture every 10-15 minutes. This ensures the ice cream doesn’t become super icy.
- After the ice cream has set for 2-3 hours, remove and allow to thaw for 25-30 minutes. Once thawed slightly, use a slightly wet ice cream scoop and scoop into bowls.
How long does No Churn Cookie Dough Ice Cream last?
No Churn cookie dough ice cream will keep for at least a week. The ice cream is best enjoyed fresh and refreezing it too often will yield to hard and icy ice cream.
Can you use an ice cream maker?
Making no churn cookie dough ice cream in an ice cream maker will work very well.
To make cookie dough ice cream in an ice cream maker, follow the same direction as the no-churn version. Instead of freezing for 3 hours, allow to firm up for about 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes, transfer to the ice cream maker and churn completely. Freeze for an hour, or until the ice cream has firmed up.
How to make nut-free cookie dough ice cream
Easily make this healthy cookie dough ice cream nut-free! Simply replace the almond butter with either sunflower seed butter or tahini. Also, ensure the cookies used are nut-free (like these ones!).
Tips and Tricks for PERFECT No Churn Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Ensure you stir the mixture in the freezer for the first hour, to ensure it doesn’t freeze up into an ice block.
- Avoid re-freezing previously thawed out ice cream, as the texture will spoil and be too hard.
- If your ice cream mixture becomes too dense, once it has thawed slightly, you can re-blend it and enjoy it soft-serve style.
- To ensure the ice cream is loaded with cookie chunks, feel free to prepare the ice cream without the cookies mixed in and simply top the ice cream with it afterward!
No Churn Cookie Dough Ice Cream (Keto, Vegan, Paleo)
- Place a freezer-friendly container or loaf pan in the freezer.
- In a food processor or high speed blender, add all your ingredients, except for your cookie pieces, and blend well, until thick and creamy. Ensure you regularly scrape down the sides to ensure the mixture is fully combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in your chocolate chip cookie chunks.
- Pour your cookie dough ice cream mixture into the pre-frozen container and place in the freezer. For the first hour, stir the ice cream mixture every 15 minutes, before allowing to freeze completely.Allow the ice cream to freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Let the coconut ice cream thaw for 25-30 minutes, before scooping into bowls, using a slightly wet ice cream scoop.