This peanut butter ice cream is sweet, creamy, and needs just 3 ingredients! No ice cream maker needed, it’s a simple and delicious dessert.
Love peanut butter and love ice cream? This peanut butter ice cream recipe will be a dessert staple for you.
We used to be the family that would always have several pints of ice cream in our freezer at a time. Since realizing just how easy it is to make at home, we’ve switched to doing just that!
This homemade peanut butter ice cream is one of our favorites. We are hardcore peanut butter lovers, and this one ranks up there with the best of them (next to the peanut butter mousse and peanut butter cheesecake!).
It needs just 3 ingredients to make and no dairy: perfect if you follow a vegan diet (or want a healthy dessert). It also doesn’t require the use of an ice cream maker, although if you have one; that works too. It’s sweet and has the subtle peanut butter flavor without being overpowering!
Peanut butter ice cream is just like any other ice cream but with a few tweaks: no heavy cream or eggs needed. It has the right amount of peanut butter and sweetness required. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Peanut butter. Creamy peanut butter with no added sugar. Avoid using commercial brands or crunchy varieties.
- Coconut milk. Full fat coconut milk from a can, not a carton. Chill it overnight in the refrigerator.
- Maple syrup. A healthier sweetener option. Honey and agave nectar also work.
How to make peanut butter ice cream
Homemade peanut butter ice cream is easy to make: just remember to stir the mixture 3-4 times during the first hour so it freezes evenly. Here is how to make it:
- Prep the pan: Place a freezer-friendly container or loaf pan in the freezer.
- Blend ingredients: Add all your ingredients into a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Freeze and stir: Transfer the ice-cream mixture to the pre-frozen pan/container, cover, and place in the freezer. For the first hour, regularly stir the ice cream mixture to avoid it freezing incorrectly.
- Serve: Let the ice cream sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before scooping and serving.
Can I use an ice cream maker?
Yes! You can use an ice cream maker to make this recipe.
Follow the no-churn instructions, but freeze the mixture for 45 minutes, before transferring to the ice cream maker, and churn for 10-15 minutes.
Freeze for an hour, before serving.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Chill your coconut milk beforehand, as it provides an even creamier texture
- Stir the ice cream mixture every 10-15 minutes for the first hour, to ensure the ice cream is easy to scoop
- Avoid refreezing ice cream multiple times, as it will become too icy.
- Re-blend the ice cream if it becomes too frozen or stiff.
Dietary swaps and substitutions
This ice cream recipe can be adapted to fit various diets and has been tested using different ingredients:
- Cut the carbs by making a keto peanut butter ice cream. Swap out the maple syrup for keto maple syrup.
- Make it coconut-free by using heavy cream or double cream.
- Substitute the peanut butter with another nut or seed butter, like almond butter.
- For a chocolate peanut butter ice cream, fold through 1/2 cup of cocoa powder.
- Add peanut butter cups by adding in Reese’s peanut butter cups or homemade ones.
No-churn peanut butter ice cream will keep for at least 7 days but is best to enjoy fresh.
Before enjoying, allow thawing for at least 30 minutes. Before scooping, lightly wet your ice cream scoop.
More ice cream recipes to try
- Avocado ice cream
- Oat milk ice cream
- Coconut milk ice cream
- Almond milk ice cream
- Cookie dough ice cream
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this recipe contains no dairy and is suitable for a vegan diet.
If you swap out the maple syrup for a sugar free syrup it will be suitable for a keto diet.
Peanut Butter Ice Cream (3 Ingredients)
- Place a freezer-friendly container or loaf pan in the freezer.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, add all your ingredients and blend well, until thick and creamy. Ensure you regularly scrape down the sides to ensure the mixture is fully combined.
- Pour your ice cream mixture into the pre-frozen container and place in the freezer. For the first hour, stir the ice cream mixture every 15 minutes, before allowing to freeze completely.
- Allow the ice cream to freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Let the ice cream thaw for 5-10 minutes, before serving.