This oat milk ice cream is so smooth and creamy, you won’t believe it is homemade! Made with just 3 ingredients, it works with or without an ice cream maker.
Ice cream lovers, there is a new MVP in town: ice cream made with oat milk!
This creamy oat milk ice cream recipe was inspired by So Delicious, Oatly, and Trader Joe’s, which all produce oat milk ice creams. The only downside of them is how expensive they are and how easy it is to polish off an entire pint in one sitting.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Healthier ingredients. Like blender ice cream, this one too has no dairy, eggs, or sugar are needed, but you’d never tell.
- Ultra creamy. The texture is soft, smooth, and creamy, perfect for scooping into a bowl or cone.
- 3 ingredients. All you need is oat milk, cashews, and maple syrup!
- Ice cream machine-free option. We made it with an ice cream machine, but you can make it without (or even in a Ninja creami!).
There are just 3 key ingredients to make this ice cream, which you probably already have in your pantry! Here is what you’ll need to make this:
- Oat milk– Unsweetened oat milk. Be sure to use a brand that you like, as the flavor is quite clear throughout.
- Raw cashews– Gives the ice cream the rich creaminess, with no cream or butter!
- Maple syrup– Adds some sweetness to the ice cream.
- Vanilla extract– Optional, but gives it a light vanilla flavor.
- Mix-ins– Optional, but I like to fold through some chopped pecans or chocolate chips.
How to make oat milk ice cream
Step 1- Soak the cashews. Soak the cashews in boiling water for 30 minutes to soften. Discard the water and transfer the cashews into a high speed blender.
Step 2- Blend everything together. Add half the oat milk and blend until smooth and combined. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
Step 3- Make the ice cream. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn until a soft ice cream remains. Transfer the mixture into a freezer friendly container (or ice cream container) and freeze for at least an hour before scooping.
Can I make this without an ice cream maker?
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can easily make this using just the blender. However, you’ll have to carefully monitor it for the first hour to ensure it doesn’t free.
- Prepare the mixture as instructed.
- Transfer to a pre-frozen loaf pan or freezer friendly container.
- Cover the pan and place it in the freezer. For the first hour, stir the mixture every 15-20 minutes.
- Once set, let the ice cream thaw for 10 minutes before scooping.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Choose the best oat milk. Look for brands without added flavors or sweeteners or thickeners.
- Add a Creamy Element. Oat milk can be slightly less creamy compared to dairy milk, so using cashews is a must, as when blended down, they become super creamy.
- Adjust the sweetness. We used maple syrup to sweeten the ice cream. Taste the ice cream before churning and add more if needed.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly. Ensure that the ice cream mixture has been chilled properly before churning. This will ensure the ice cream is super creamy and smooth.
- Let it soften. Allow the ice cream to sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before scooping.
The beauty of this ice cream is just how versatile it is. Have fun changing up the flavors for some variety!
- Mocha– Replace half the oat milk with chilled brewed coffee.
- Chocolate– Add 2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder to the ice cream.
- Strawberry– Fold through 1/2 cup sliced strawberries into the mixture.
- Salted caramel– Add 1/4 cup of homemade caramel and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Mint chocolate chip– Add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and fold through 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
To store: Ice cream must always be stored in the freezer. It will keep fresh for up to 1 month.
To re-freeze: You may only re-freeze your ice cream once, as it will develop freezer burns if left longer.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Ice cream machine. My tried and tested frozen dessert maker than yields the best ice cream every time.
- Blender. Blends down the cashews perfectly without any chunks or remnants.
- Food processor. No blender? A food processor works too.
More homemade ice cream recipes to try
- Keto ice cream
- Peanut butter ice cream
- Brownie ice cream
- Superman ice cream
- Low calorie ice cream
- Matcha ice cream
Frequently asked questions
This ice cream recipe is healthier than other kinds, as it has no dairy and no refined sugar (it uses maple syrup to sweeten it). It is also lower in calories than ice cream made with full cream milk and cream.
The top rated ice creams using oat milk are Oatly, So Delicious, and Halotop.
While cashews are preferred, you can use skinless almonds instead (marcona almonds).
Oat Milk Ice Cream
- Soak your cashews in boiling water for at least an hour. Discard the excess water.
- Place the cashews with half the oat milk into a blender. Blend until combined. Add the rest of the milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, and blend again until frothy and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn until a soft ice cream remains. Transfer the ice cream mixture into a freezer friendly container and store in the freezer for an hour.
- Once frozen, let the ice cream sit for 10 minutes, before scooping out.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.