This peanut butter pie is a delicious chocolate dessert that requires NO baking! Simple ingredients and sure to impress- it needs just 6 main ingredients.
The Best Peanut Butter Pie
If you love peanut butter, love chocolate, and love good slice a pie, this dessert is made for you.
Our family is obsessed with all three of those, so it was a no brainer to combine them all and enjoy it in the form of pie.
Perfect on its own or dressed up with some ice cream (or whipped cream), this is sure to impress.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Just 6 Ingredients. Even though there are three parts for this pie, many of the ingredients are used several times.
- Quick and easy. No baking is required and the total hands on time is less than 5 minutes.
- Tastes like Reese’s. The chocolate and peanut butter combination is truly superior, and if you love both those things, this dessert is for you.
- Crustless option. While delicious with a crust, you have the option to omit it completely.
What we love about this peanut butter pie recipe is just perfect it is. The texture is smooth, rich, and creamy, bursting with peanut butter. It’s sweet, ever so slightly nutty, but without the peanut butter being overpowering.
What is peanut butter pie made of?
This is such a simple recipe that has a simple ingredient list. You can find everything at your local grocery store. Here is what you’ll need:
Chocolate pie crust
- Chocolate cookies. Either Oreos or any dark chocolate cookie that’s been crushed into a fine crumb.
- Butter. Measured in its melted state.
For the filling
- Cream cheese. softened cream cheese, and from a block. Cream cheese from a block lacks the added water and fillers, giving the pie a thicker and creamier texture.
- Peanut butter. Smooth and creamy with no added salt. Do not use crunchy or homemade peanut butter.
- Confectioners sugar– Also known as powdered sugar.
- Heavy cream. Also known as double cream or thickened cream.
- Vanilla extract. Gives a lovely vanilla flavor to the overall pie.
For the chocolate topping
- Chocolate. Use your favorite chocolate bar, chopped up. I love using Lindt chocolate as it has a fabulous flavor.
- Heavy cream. Mixed with the melted chocolate to create a creamy ganache.
- Chopped peanuts. To decorate the top of the pie with and give some extra peanut flavor.
How to make a chocolate peanut butter pie
Although this recipe is made up in three parts, there are very little hands on time. Honestly, the hard part is waiting for the pie to firm up because trust me, you’ll want to dig in straight away!
Step 1- Make the crust
Start by making the crust. In a large mixing bowl, mix the oreo crumbs with melted butter until combined. Transfer into a 9-inch pie or tart tin and refrigerate for 30 minutes, to firm up.
Step 2- Make the filling
Next, beat together your cream cheese, peanut butter, and powdered sugar, until fluffy. Next, in a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until thick. Add the remaining two tablespoons of powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and beat until stiff peaks form.
Now, gently fold through the cream mixture into the cream cheese mixture until combined. Transfer the mixture into the prepared pie crust and refrigerate for two hours, to allow it to firm up.
Step 3- Make the chocolate ganache
Once the peanut butter filling is well chilled, make the chocolate ganache. Microwave the heavy cream until warm. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate and let sit in the warm cream for two minutes, to melt. Whisk together until thick and smooth. Gently pour the ganache on top of the pie. Sprinkle the sides of it with the chopped peanuts. Chill the pie for at least 6 hours or overnight, before slicing.
Tips to make the best recipe
- The longer the peanut butter pie filling has to sit, the thicker it gets. This makes it the perfect dessert to prepare up to 3 days in advance.
- Be sure your cream cheese is room temperature, so it beats into the peanut butter easily.
- Serve this pie with a scoop of peanut butter ice cream or brownie ice cream.
Dietary swaps and substitutions
What we adore about this dessert is just how easy it is to customize for a plethora of diets out there. Here is what we’ve tested:
- Swap out the peanut butter. If you have a peanut butter allergy, use almond or cashew butter, or make it nut free by using tahini or sunflower seed butter.
- Make it dairy free. For a vegan or non-dairy option, use dairy free cream cheese and plant based double cream.
- Lower the carbs. Swap out the powdered sugar for a keto powdered sugar.
- Make it crustless. If you’d like a crustless pie, simply omit the crust and let everything set in a deep glass dish.
- Keep it gluten free. Provided you use gluten free chocolate cookies, this dessert is suitable for celiacs.
Wondering what is the best way to store leftovers? Here are best practices for pie storage:
- To store: Peanut butter pie softens the longer it sits at room temperature, so keep it stored in the refrigerator at all times. Keep the pie covered, and it will keep well for up to one week.
- To freeze: Place the pie in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More peanut butter recipes to try
- Peanut butter mousse
- Chocolate peanut butter no bake cookies
- Peanut butter cookies
- Peanut butter cheesecake
Frequently Asked Questions
There are 232 calories per slice of pie.
Although it’s popular in America, the origins of this pie is actually Peru.
Peanut Butter Pie | Just 6 Ingredients
For the chocolate ganache
- 1 cup chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup peanuts chopped
- Prepare a 9-inch chocolate crust and set aside.
- In an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, peanut butter, and powdered sugar, until fluffy. In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until thick. Add the 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped mixture into the peanut butter mixture. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, make your ganache. In a small saucepan, heat up your heavy cream until warm. Remove from the heat and add the dark chocolate, and whisk together, until smooth. Let the mixture cool until no longer warm. Gently pour over the chilled pie and spread out. Sprinkle chopped peanuts around the perimeter.
- Chill the pie overnight, before serving.