This keto peanut butter pie is a delicious low carb dessert that requires NO baking! Simple ingredients and sure to impress- Just 3 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Peanut Butter Pie
During the warmer months, whenever I host my friends over for a dinner or a meal, I ALWAYS end it with a no bake dessert. Sure, cakes or brownies are great, but the last thing I want to do in a heatwave is turn the oven on. While my go-to’s are usually no bake cheesecakes or chocolate mousse, I’ve recently been making no bake pies.
I’ven been meaning to share a peanut butter pie for quite some time now. Two of my friends are OBSESSED with all things peanut butter and with one of them having a birthday coming up, I thought there is no time like the present to finally share this recipe!
Now, this pie may look incredibly fancy, but I promise you it is SO simple to make and uses just 6 main ingredients!
No sugar, no grains, and no eggs are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is smooth, rich, and creamy, bursting with peanut butter. It’s sweet, ever so slightly nutty, but without the peanut butter being overpowering.
I served this up at my friend’s birthday party and NO ONE believed me when I said that it was completely sugar free- They thought it tasted like any good dessert pie out there!
Ingredients for a peanut butter pie
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this peanut butter pie. Please ensure your dairy is at room temperature and you avoid substituting out the ingredients unless stated.
For the pie
- Chocolate Pie crust– I used a homemade keto chocolate pie crust. Any pie crust can be used.
- Cream cheese– softened cream cheese, and from a block. Cream cheese from a block lacks the added water and fillers, giving the pie a thicker and creamier texture.
- Peanut butter– Smooth and drippy sugar free peanut butter. Do not use crunchy or homemade peanut butter.
- Confectioners sugar– Also known as powdered sugar. I used keto powdered sugar.
- Heavy cream– Also known as double cream or thickened cream.
- Vanilla extract– Gives a lovely vanilla flavor to the overall pie.
For the chocolate topping
- Chocolate– Use your favorite chocolate bar, chopped up. I love using Lindt Chocolate, as all the bars above 78% are keto friendly.
- Heavy cream– Mixed with the melted chocolate to create a creamy ganache.
- Chopped peanuts– To decorate the top of the pie with, and give some extra peanut flavor.
How to make a keto pie with peanut butter
Start by beating together your cream cheese, peanut butter, and sugar free powdered sugar, until fluffy. Next, in a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until thick. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and beat until stiff peaks form.
Now, gently fold through the cream mixture into the cream cheese mixture until combined. Transfer the mixture into the prepared pie crust and refrigerate for 2 hours, to allow it to firm up.
Once the peanut butter filling has been chilled for 2 hours, make the chocolate ganache. Microwave or heat on the stove the heavy cream, until warm. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate and let sit in the warm cream for 2 minutes, to melt. Whisk together until thick and smooth. Gently pour the ganache on top of the pie. Sprinkle the sides of it with the chopped peanuts. Chill the pie for at least 6 hours or overnight, before slicing.
Chocolate Pie Crust Ideas
Many grocery stores stock premade pie crusts, but they are not always low carb or sugar free. Instead, you can make this simple no bake keto chocolate pie crust.
To make: 2 servings keto Oreos (ground up and made into crumbs), 1/4 cup butter, melted.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oreo crumbs with melted butter until combined. Transfer into a 9-inch pie or tart tin and refrigerate for 30 minutes, to firm up.
Tips for the perfect keto peanut butter pie
- The longer the peanut butter pie filling has to sit, the thicker it gets. This makes it the perfect dessert to prepare up to 3 days in advance.
- Be sure your cream cheese is room temperature, so it beats into the peanut butter easily.
- If you don’t follow a low carb or sugar free diet, you can use traditional confectioners’ sugar.
- Serve this pie with a scoop of peanut butter ice cream or vanilla ice cream.
Can I make this without peanut butter?
If you cannot tolerate peanut butter or what a peanut free alternative, you CAN make it with one of the following-
- Wow butter– A nut free substitute to peanut butter, smooth wow butter has the creamy texture necessary for the pie filling.
- Almond butter– Smooth and drippy almond butter can also be used. However, you will need to beat the almond butter with the cream cheese a little longer, as it tends to be thicker than peanut butter.
Can I make this dairy free?
Yes, if you’d like to make a vegan peanut butter pie, you can swap out the cream cheese for dairy free cream cheese and the heavy cream for plant based double cream.
Please use vegan cream cheese from a block and NOT from a spread.
Storing and Freezing tips
- To store: Peanut butter pie softens the longer it sits at room temperature, so keep it stored in the refrigerator at all times. Keep the pie covered, and it will keep well for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place the pie in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More keto desserts to try
- Chocolate Cheesecake
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake
- Chocolate Pudding
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Edible Cookie Dough
Keto Peanut Butter Pie
For the chocolate ganache
- 1 cup chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup peanuts chopped
- Prepare a 9-inch chocolate crust and set aside.
- In an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, peanut butter, and powdered sugar, until fluffy. In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until thick. Add the 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped mixture into the peanut butter mixture. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, make your ganache. In a small saucepan, heat up your heavy cream until warm. Remove from the heat and add the dark chocolate, and whisk together, until smooth. Let the mixture cool until no longer warm. Gently pour over the chilled pie and spread out. Sprinkle chopped peanuts around the perimeter.
- Chill the pie overnight, before serving.