This keto peanut butter mousse is so smooth, airy, and creamy, you won’t believe it is low carb! Made with just 4 ingredients and ready in minutes! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Peanut Butter Mousse
Growing up, my mom’s favorite desserts to make were rarely of the baked variety. Unless it was a family member’s birthday or a bake sale, she stuck to no cook desserts. This suited me fine, as I love any and all kinds of desserts. Her favorite things to make were usually a pudding or a no bake cheesecake, but my all time favorite was her peanut butter mousse.
My mom first started making her peanut butter mousse after her work colleague’s wedding. Her colleague was originally from America and introduced her to the wonders of peanut butter. Instead of a wedding cake, they served a mini dessert sampler, which included a peanut butter mousse. She acquired the recipe and added it to her repertoire. When I first moved out of home, it was one of the very first recipes of hers I ever made and was so easy to adapt to be keto!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto peanut butter mousse recipe for quite some time. It’s been my go-to dessert whenever I don’t feel like turning on the oven. I love how it needs just 4 ingredients and takes seconds to prepare- the hard part is waiting for it to chill!
No eggs and no sugar are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is smooth, airy, and extra creamy. It’s sweet and full of peanut butter flavor.
I had some friends over for dinner the other night and served them this mousse for dessert and NO ONE believed me when I said that it was low carb- They thought it had to be full of sugar!
Ingredients to make a keto peanut butter mousse
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this mousse. It’s best for all your ingredients to be at room temperature, for the ultimate smooth texture.
- Peanut butter– Smooth and creamy peanut butter, with no added sugar. Avoid using crunchy or the natural kind, as it will be harder to whip.
- Cream cheese– Full fat and softened cream cheese. You can also use dairy free cream cheese.
- Powdered sweetener– Don’t waste your money buying expensive packaged varieties, make your own homemade sugar free powdered sugar.
- Vanilla extract– Optional, but adds a lovely touch of vanilla.
- Heavy cream– Either standard or heavy whipping cream can be used.
How do you make a peanut butter mousse?
Start by adding the peanut butter, cream cheese, powdered sweetener, and vanilla extract, if using it, into a large mixing bowl. Using a hand or stick mixer, beat together until combined. Next, add the heavy cream into a separate bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. Gently beat 1/4 of the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture. Fold through another 1/2 of it, before adding the remaining cream until combined.
Now, transfer the peanut butter mousse into a piping bag with a star tip attached. Pipe the mousse into serving glasses or mason jars and refrigerate for 30 minutes, to firm up.
Tips to make the best low carb peanut butter mousse
- You can prepare this mousse up to 3 days in advance. Omit any extra toppings (e.g. crushed peanuts or whipped cream) until you are ready to serve it.
- Don’t add all the whipped cream at once- Do it in batches so it keeps the whipped peanut butter airy and light.
- If you’d like to make this peanut free, swap out the peanut butter for either smooth almond butter or tahini.
Storing and freezing the peanut butter mousse
- To store: The mousse should always be stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Cover the mousse completely and store them in the freezer, for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
More keto no bake dessert recipes to try
Keto Peanut Butter Mousse
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the peanut butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract and set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently beat through ¼ of the whipped heavy cream into the peanut butter mixture. Fold through another ½ of the cream and mix well. Add the remaining cream until combined.
- Transfer the mousse into a piping bag with a swirly tip. Pipe into mason jars or glass jars and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.