This vegan strawberry cake is made with fresh strawberries blended into the batter, and topped with a strawberry frosting! It’s super moist and so easy to make.
Seriously, when I say this strawberry cake is easy, I mean it- It only needs 7 simple ingredients, and because it’s vegan, there are no eggs, and no butter, but you’d never tell.
See, it’s super moist, fluffy, and with a tender crumb, the perfect texture you want from a cake. Taste wise, it’s sweet and loaded with strawberry flavor, thanks to the strawberry puree in the cake itself. To take it up a notch, you can even add strawberries to the frosting!
How to make a strawberry cake from scratch
- All Purpose flour– Be sure to sift your flour first, so ensure it has no clumps in it. For a gluten free strawberry cake, use gluten free flour.
- Baking powder– Gives the cake some rise and leavening.
- Baking soda– Works with the baking powder to help the cake have a fluffy and moist texture, without sinking in the middle.
- Powdered sugar– Gives the cake a fabulous texture. I prefer using powdered sugar over standard sugar. If you only have white sugar on hand, you can blend it until it reaches a powdered consistency.
- Oil of choice– Use a mild tasting oil, like canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Non dairy yogurt– Coconut yogurt or soy yogurt. Either use vanilla or plain flavored.
- Strawberries– Fresh strawberries that are blended or pureed into a liquid like consistency,.
- Pink food coloring– Optional, but use a few drops if you’d like a pink cake.
Start by pureeing the strawberries, using either a blender, a food processor, or stand mixer. Next, add your dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, add the rest of your ingredients, including the pureed strawberries, and mix until smooth and creamy. Gently add the flour mixture in, and stir until just combined- do not overmix. Transfer the cake batter into two 8-inch cake pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely, before frosting.
Vegan Cake Frosting Ideas
I used a simple dairy free cream cheese frosting and added a dash of pink food coloring to it.
To make: Combine 8 oz vegan cream cheese with 1/3 cup vegan butter and beat until creamy. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and continue beating. Add the vanilla extract and another 2 cups of powdered sugar (4 cups total), and optional pink food coloring. Beat until smooth. For a thicker frosting, add more powdered sugar.
- Vegan Strawberry frosting– Add some freeze-dried strawberries to the base frosting, and blend until combined. You will have a beautiful pink frosting.
- Vanilla Frosting– Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the base frosting.
- Chocolate Frosting– For those who want a chocolate strawberry cake. Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the base frosting.
Tips for the Best Vegan Strawberry Cake
- Do not overbake the cakes, as they continue to cook as they cool down. Remove when a skewer comes out ‘just’ clean.
- For easy removal of the cake, use a springform cake pan or place parchment paper on the bottom of the pans, ALONG with greasing the tops of them and around. This will ensure the cakes come out perfectly.
- Avoid using coconut oil, as that can actually dry out the cake instead of keeping it moist and fluffy./
- Do not frost the cake until it has been cooled, otherwise, it will stick to the cake and it will begin to sink.
- This makes a layer cake. For a single cake, halve the recipe!
- I used frozen strawberries and thawed them out completely. Use fresh if those are easily available to you.
Storing and Freezing Tips
- To store: Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator at all times. Keep the cake in a sealable container or covered completely. The cake will keep well for up to 7 days.
- To freeze: This cake is freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer. Place the leftover cake in a shallow container. The cake freezes well for up to 6 months.
More Vegan Cakes
- Vegan Lemon Cake
- Vegan Vanilla Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Zucchini Chocolate Cake
Vegan Strawberry Cake (GF)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line 2 8-inch pans with cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a high speed blender or food processor, blend your strawberries until a pureed texture.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your flour, baking soda, and baking powder and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your powdered sugar, oil, yogurt, and strawberries, and mix until combined and creamy. Gently fold through your dry mixture, and mix until just combined.
- Distribute the cake batter amongst the two cake pans. Bake the cakes for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer comes out just clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pans completely. Once cool, remove from the pans and frost, if desired.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.