Just one bowl, FOUR ingredients and TWELVE minutes is all you’ll need to whip up these crispy, flourless peanut butter cookies! Gluten free, grain free and with a vegan option, they will give the infamous chewy cookies a run for their money!
The texture favouritism. We all have it.
Some like their cookies chewy and soft.
Some like their cookies under-baked
Some don’t even like cookies which have already entered the oven. That’s okay.
Some don’t even like cookies. I’m not sure I could be friends with those people.
Just kidding. I’m greedy and that just means for cookies for me.
On my recent trip to Melbourne, I had a long discussion with mum about recipes, food and where the damn wooden spoon is that she chased me with. We somehow got onto the topic of cookies and how I apparently favoured the crispy kind growing up.
Now THAT was news to me– I always thought that nothing would come close to the chewy, almost under baked cookies which my all-time favourite cookie is famous for. It couldn’t be true.
Mum used to make a big batch of classic peanut butter cookies and add salted peanuts on top before baking them- and unlike how I treat cookies these days- would not remove them from the oven when slightly underdone to firm up- she’d wait until they were actually golden brown on top and then remove and cool.
I did some maths.
Undercooked cookies + removing from oven + allowing to cool = soft and chewy cookies.
Slightly undercooked cookies + removing from oven + allowing to cool = chewy, dense cookies.
Completely cooked cookies + removing from oven + allowing to cool = rocks.
Or so I thought.
Remember when I was stubborn goat? Well that is clearly a character trait. I could not fathom ever preferring the crispy cookies over the soft, chewy ones.
I asked mum to prove it.
She told me to jump in a lake try it out myself when I was back home.
So that’s what I did. Made her ‘go to’ recipe (which I featured on here already) with the added tweaks and kept them in there to it’s full golden glory and you know what- It wasn’t half bad.
Scrap that, they were damn delicious. These cookies were light, crispy and made the perfect partner for a cup of coffee. Add an extra 2 minutes to the original recipe and they produced these golden perfection. Add the sea salt on top and it’s sweet, salty, moreish and well…..yum.
Mum- I take it back.
- 2 cups crunchy peanut butter (can sub for another nut butter)
- 2 cups of coconut sugar (can sub for standard white sugar)
- 2 large eggs (for a vegan option, use 2 flax eggs- 2 T flax + 1/4 cup + 2 T water)
- 1 cup of salted peanuts, chopped roughly
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. In a large mixing bowl, combine the nut butter, coconut sugar and eggs. Mix very well until fully incorporated.
- Place golf ball sized cookie dough on a lined baking tray. Press down on each cookie gently with a fork. Evenly distribute the chopped, salted peanuts on top of each cookie. Sprinkle sea salt over the cookies and place in the oven. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the tray.
- Cookies should already be quite firm once removed from the oven- this is key for the crispy texture.
See you guys for some Spill it, Sundays- recipe round up style!
Linking up with these amazing parties- #recipeoftheweek, RealfoodWednesdays, Share your stuff Tuesdays, simple supper Tuesdays and Gluten Free Wednesdays, and what’s cookin’ Wednesdays,#glutenfreefridays, foodiefridays, glutenfreetuesdays with some weekend pot luck loving
How do you like your cookies?
Do you have foodie discussions with your families?
Salted, raw, dry roasted…nuts. What’s your favourite?
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld