A delicious healthy flourless breakfast cake which has the taste of a cinnamon bun and loaded with delicious cinnamon flavor! Fluffy and filling on the inside and tender on the outside with a secretly healthy frosting, this cinnamon bun breakfast cake is vegan, gluten free, dairy free, sugar free and comes with a tested paleo option!
February, that is.
Seriously, weren’t we JUST doing our roundup for all things lemon yesterday? Maybe not, but this month has gone by like this (insert click emotion here).
As with each month’s end, me and my blogging posse (does anyone say that these days?) are back with a delicious round up for my favorite meal of the day- BRUNCH.
What’s the best thing about Melbourne? Brunch.
What’s the best thing about New York? Brunch.
What do you like doing with your friends? Having brunch.
What are you up to this weekend? Brunch.
What is your favorite meal? Brunch.
OKAY, WE GET THE POINT. BRUNCH IS AMAZING AND THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING IN LIFE.
Sorry, I’m suffering from brunch brain.
I think my love for brunch is due to the option to eat my actual REAL favorite meal of the day again- Breakfast.
Even if I have brunch plans, I will always still enjoy something for breakfast. Most of my brunch plans occur around 10.30-1pm, and my brain won’t function past 9am without something in my stomach! Anyway, when thinking up what recipe to share as part of today’s roundup, I knew it had to involve 2 things- Something sweet and something with cinnamon.
Long term readers know I have knack for giving the cinnamon bun or cinnamon roll treatment on many foods. Case in point? The sticky cinnamon roll got made into oatmeal, baked oatmeal, flourless muffins and flourless cookies. The cinnamon bun got morphed into popcorn, protein bars, oatmeal, pancakes and now…Healthy Flourless Cinnamon Bun Breakfast Cake!
Before we get into today’s offering, let’s see what my posse are sharing!
Alexis shares this Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Pizza which makes me say want to have her on speed dial. Oh wait. I already do.
Lindsay shares these Cinnamon Raisin Bagels which she tempted me through Snapchat!
Julia shares this amazing looking Grain Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread which has me salivating like pavlov…or the dog. (Or one of those…I kind of flunked Science).
Sarah shares these Flourless Lemon Poppyseed Muffins which make me go zzzzzing.
Kylie shares these breakfast banana splits which epitomises my blog mission of having dessert for breakfast!
Now for my offering- This healthy flourless Cinnamon Bun Breakfast cake!
Let’s take a step back and see how a cinnamon bun and a cake can become married and be perfect for breakfast!
Cinnamon buns have a tender exterior and it’s interior are typically light and fluffy. Cakes can be, well…light and airy like Angel food cake or more firm and dense, like a flourless chocolate cake. I kind of took bits and bobs from all to come to something which had the best bits of all and can share with you guys this delicious beauty!
This healthy Flourless Cinnamon Bun Breakfast cake marries two popular sweet treats into something perfectly suitable for breakfast! This breakfast cake is light, fluffy yet filling on the inside, and on the outside, it’s tender and comes with a secretly healthy frosting! Unlike both their traditional counterparts, this breakfast cake has no butter, flour, oil or sugar in the entire recipe (unless you go the paleo route!). It’s so easy to whip together and the hard part is waiting the 25-30 minutes for it to bake…but it’s SO worth it! It’s naturally gluten free, vegan, dairy free and sugar free, and there is also a tested paleo option!
HACK! While the cake in itself is absolutely delicious, for the true authentic cinnamon bun texture, don’t omit the frosting! I’ve provided three TESTED options to have you all covered- A protein packed option (using either this casein protein powder, this vegan protein powder and this paleo protein powder), a dairy free cream cheese frosting (basic, but delicious) or one which is more like a glaze, using coconut butter.
Make this healthy Flourless Cinnamon Bun Breakfast Cake and let’s just reaffirm something.
What is the answer to, well…anything?
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats, ground into a flour
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (use stevia or a sugar free baking blend to keep sugar free)
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 T saigon cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1 flax egg (can sub for 1 large egg if not vegan)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 T nut butter of choice, melted (I used smooth almond butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 T Saigon cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (can sub for honey or agave)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter (can sub for almond butter or coconut oil)
- vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, whisked lightly
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts/chopped nuts of choice (optional)
- 3 scoops vanilla protein powder (see recommendations above)
- 1-2 T granulated sweetener of choice (optional)
- 1-2 T nut butter of choice (optional)
- Dairy free milk to form batter
- 4-6 T coconut butter, melted
- 2 T granulated sweetener of choice
- Dairy free milk to thin out
- Dairy free cream cheese (can sub for any cream cheese)
- 2 T granulated sweetener of choice
- 1 T Saigon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan or small baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, vanilla extract and egg/flax egg. Pour into the dry mixture. Add the melted nut butter (and honey and applesauce for paleo option) and mix very well until a batter is formed.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan or baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes (PALEO Option- 45-50 minutes) or until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes on clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving or frosting, if desired.
- Combine all the ingredients and using a tablespoon, add dairy free milk until a thick, firm batter is formed. For the cream cheese one, allow to sit at room temperature until it softens. Mix with granulated sweetener and cinnamon.
- Breakfast cake is freezer friendly- It's best kept in the refrigerator. If you decide to use the frosting(s), it's best to keep them separate.
For those who brunch (I hope it’s all of you!), what is your go-to meal? Poached eggs or pancakes!
Is ‘brunch’ a big thing in your area/city/country?
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld