This Christmas popcorn is a fun and festive snack that is loaded with candy canes and candy buttons! Ready in 5 minutes and made with just 3 ingredients.
While I have a slew of Christmas desserts and Christmas treats on hand, nothing beats fluffy and fun Christmas popcorn.
This is a fabulous gift idea or something to serve at your holiday parties. It’s quick to make and so delicious.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- 3 ingredients. All you need is popcorn, candy canes, and candy buttons.
- Ready in 5 minutes. All you do is prep the popcorn and add the mix-ins!
- Perfect for the holidays. You can give this kind of holiday treat as an edible gift or serve it at holiday parties. It’s perfect for kids (just ask mine) and adults alike.
- Easy to customize. I kept things super basic but you can jazz up the popcorn mixture with your favorite candy and mix-ins. I’ve included some suggestions below.
This holiday popcorn is so easy and anyone can make it. Here is what you’ll need:
- Popcorn (or popcorn kernels). I like to use kettle corn as my base, as I love the sweet and salty popcorn combination, but simple, plain air-popped popcorn also works. You can use a pre-made store-bought kind or microwave popcorn, too.
- Candy canes. I like using mini peppermint candy canes as they are easier to break apart. Fruit or other flavored ones work too.
- Candy buttons. Christmas M&M’s add a pop of green and red color. You can also use green candy melts, red candy melts, and white mint bites.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How to make Christmas popcorn
Step 1- Prep the popcorn: You can either make it fresh (as we did) or use a pre-popped package. Once that is sorted, add it to a large bowl.
Step 2- Add mix-ins: Break up some candy canes and add them to the bowl, along with the candy buttons, and gently mix everything together until combined.
This recipe is very simple and forgiving, so be creative and change it up so suit your preferences! Here are some ideas:
- Add other candy. Swap out the M&M’s for wrapped chocolate or fudge.
- Add fun mix-ins. Holiday sprinkles, mini marshmallows, sprinkles, and pretzels are all great add ins.
- Drizzle with chocolate. I like to sometimes melt some white chocolate chips or almond bark over the popcorn (line it on parchment paper first).
- Use flavored popcorn. Instead of plain or kettle corn, use honey popcorn or caramel popcorn instead.
- Add cookies. Adding mini Oreos or mini chocolate chip cookies adds a fun and delicious addition.
To store: Leftover popcorn mix will keep fresh for up to two weeks. Ensure it is covered at all times.
To freeze: Avoid freezing the popcorn snack mix as it will become soggy and the candy will lose its color.
Frequently asked questions
From the day the popcorn is made, this recipe will last at least two weeks. Any longer and the popcorn loses its freshness.
Popcorn is a popular edible gift during the holidays as it is easy to jazz up and tastes delicious.
When gluten-free candy is used, this recipe is suitable for celiacs.
More holiday treats to try
- Prep your popcorn and add it to a large mixing bowl.
- Break apart the candy canes and add them to the bowl, along with the m and ms.
- Mix everything together and package up or enjoy immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.