This vegan lemon poppy seed cake is healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast! A moist and fluffy cake topped with a dairy free cream cheese frosting! No flour and no dairy needed, there is a low carb and keto option included!
This truly is the BEST lemon poppy seed cake. Why? It’s secretly healthy! Like seriously, we have been eating slice after slice for breakfast.
It’s completely vegan and gluten free, and there are instructions included to make it keto and low carb.
The texture of this poppy seed cake is incredible- Moist, fluffy, and with a tender crumb. Taste wise, it’s sweet, tangy and LOADED with lemon flavor. Topped with a creamy frosting, you will be obsessed!
How to make a vegan lemon poppy seed cake
- Rolled Oats– The oats will be ground up to form oat flour. Be sure to use gluten free oats, to keep them gluten free.
- Sugar– Any sugar of choice will work, including white sugar, brown sugar, and coconut sugar. Keep this sugar free by using monk fruit sweetener of erythritol.
- Baking powder– Gives the cake some rise and leavening.
- Poppy seeds– A must for a lemon poppy seed cake! Be sure to use good quality seeds, so the cake has a light, subtle flavor.
- Non Dairy Milk– Any plant based milk can be used- soy, almond, coconut, etc.
- Lemon juice– Fresh or bottled is fine. For a stronger lemon flavor, you can reduce some of the milk and use extra lemon juice.
- Lemon zest- Gives the poppy seed cake a stronger lemon flavor,.
- Flax egg OR egg– Either a flax egg or standard egg can be used. To make a flax egg, combine 1 tablespoon ground flasxseed with 3 tablespoons water. Let sit for 10 minutes, for a gel to form.
- Vanilla extract– A must for any delicious cake recipe.
- Coconut Oil– Gives the lemon poppy seed cake a buttery and moist and fluffy texture. You can also use dairy free butter.
- Yellow food coloring– Optional, but gives the lemon poppy seed cake a gorgeous yellow color.
In a high speed blender or food processor, add all your ingredients and blend until a smooth batter remains. Transfer to an 8 x 8-inch square pan or loaf pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out just clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan completely. Once cool, frost the lemon poppy seed loaf.
Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Option
To make a keto lemon poppy seed cake, use these ingredients and instructions below.
The ingredients- 1/2 cup coconut flour, 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 cup sugar free maple syrup, 1/4 cup almond butter, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 4 large eggs.
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. Add the wet ingredients and whisk until fully combined and a smooth batter remains. Transfer to a loaf pan, cake pan or square pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Let cool in the cake pan until cool, before frosting.
Frosting Ideas for Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Cashew cream cheese– Ultra creamy and thick, and made with no dairy or refined sugar.
- Non dairy cream cheese– Mix 1 container of non dairy cream cheese with powdered sugar or sugar free sub, and thin out with a little non dairy milk.
- Powdered sugar– A simple glaze idea- Mix powdered sugar with water or milk, until desired consistency is reached.
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Tips
- Do not overbake the poppy seed cake, as it will continue to cook as it is cooling. Once a toothpick comes out ‘just’ clean, remove it from the oven.
- Oven makes and models differ. Some may find their cake ready after 30 minutes, or longer. Do the toothpick or skewer test to check!
- Your lemon poppy seed cake must be cooled before frosting.
- For a gluten free lemon poppy seed cake, either make the keto option or be sure your oats you use are 100% gluten free.
- For a more pronounced lemon flavor, sub out some of the milk for extra lemon juice.
Storing and Freezing Tips
- To store: Leftover vegan lemon poppy seed cake should always be kept in a sealable container, and stored in the refrigerator. It will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Lemon poppy seed cake is freezer friendly and will keep well in the freezer, for at least 6 months.
- To thaw: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or microwave for 30-40 seconds.
More easy vegan cake recipes
Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a loaf pan or 8 x 8-inch square pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add all your ingredients and blend until a thick batter remains.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan or square pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out 'just' clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan until completely cooled. Once cool, frost.