This almond flour cake is so light and fluffy, you won’t believe how EASY it is to make! Made with just 4 ingredients, it’s the perfect simple yet elegant dessert recipe.
It’s no secret I’ve been loving my almond flour recipes.
It’s become my new ‘go to’ baking flour, and perfect for all my gluten-free and low carb desserts. Some of my favorites include almond flour cookies and almond flour muffins. Whenever I’m entertaining or need something fancy to bring to an event, I love to make a classic almond flour cake.
Can you use almond flour for cakes?
Using almond flour instead of wheat flour for cakes completely transforms the texture. It yields a lighter crumb and fluffier texture, and doesn’t leave you feeling heavy or bloated afterwards. It’s also gluten free, so fits the bill for many diets out there.
Why this almond flour cake recipe will be a dessert staple-
- It’s made with just 4 key ingredients, making it such an easy dessert to make.
- Everything is mixed in one bowl, so there is virtually no clean up required.
- It’s easy made low carb and/or sugar free, making it a fabulous keto dessert.
No sugar and no grains are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is light, fluffy, and with a gorgeous crumb. It’s sweet and with a slight lemon flavor, without being overpowering.
How to make almond flour cake?
- Almond flour- You must use blanched almond flour. While almond meal can work, it won’t yield a soft and moist crumb.
- Eggs- room temperature eggs and separated.
- Sugar- White or brown sugar works, or alternatives.
- Lemon zest- grated from a fresh lemon. Do not use dried or freeze dried lemon.
- Powdered sugar and sliced almonds- Optional, but adds a delicious topping. I used keto powdered sugar, to keep it low carb.
In a large mixing bowl, start by beating the egg yolks and sweetener until thick and creamy. Add the almond flour and lemon zest and fold through until incorporated. Next, in a separate mixing bowl, beat together the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold through the egg whites into the batter until combined.
Now, transfer the batter into a greased cake pan. If using almonds, add them on top of the cake and bake them for around 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and firm.
Finally, let the cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes, before carefully inverting it onto a large plate. Once cooled to room temperature, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Dietary swaps and variations
- Keep it keto friendly. Use a sugar substitute, like allulose or brown sugar substitute.
- Add some frosting. Spread a light layer of a sugar free frosting or even a cream cheese frosting.
- Make it without eggs. Instead of egg whites and egg yolks, try one of these egg substitutes.
- Add anise extract. Some traditional almond flour cakes have this in their ingredients, so add 1/2 teaspoon.
- Add some coconut flavor. Add some coconut extract and shredded coconut flakes for some added texture and flavor.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Do not over-bake the cake, as it continues to cook as it is cooling down.
- Be sure to use flaked/sliced almonds to top the cake, not whole almonds. The latter will sink into the batter while it is cooking.
- Your cake must be cooled completely before flipping it, or else you risk the cake falling apart.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Leftover cake can be stored at room temperature, covered, for up to 1 week. You can store the cake in the refrigerator if you’d like it to keep longer.
- To freeze: Place the cake in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
More almond flour cake recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Almond flour doesn’t make cakes moist, but it yields a lighter and fluffier texture. The milk, eggs, and/or liquid ingredients, in combination with butter or oil, affects how moist a cake is.
No, you cannot substitute the almond flour with coconut flour. They both have different baking properties. If you’d a cake with coconut, try making a coconut flour cake.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Almond Flour Cake recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Almond Flour Cake (4 Ingredients!)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your almond flour, egg yolks, sugar, and lemon zest, and mix well. In a separate bowl, beat together your egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold through your egg whites until combined. Transfer the cake mixture into the greased cake pan and top with sliced almonds.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes, or until tender on top. Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes, before carefully invert onto a plate and sprinkling with powdered sugar.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.