These keto mozzarella sticks need just 4 main ingredients to make and are the perfect low carb appetizer! Easily made stovetop, oven, or air fryer, they are simple and sure to impress! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Mozzarella Sticks
When it comes to meals, I tend to be an equal opportunist but I always have a downfall and that is the appetizers. If I could make a meal of strict appetizers, I would. There is truly nothing better than bite sized foods, as it means there is room to try a plethora of things.
Now, when it comes to appetizers, I love anything cheesy, spicy, and with all the textures. I love a good arancini or halloumi fries but honestly, I can never say no to a good mozzarella stick. There is something seriously moreish and addictive about them, and it hits all the senses. Since going keto, I’ve had to be creative with giving them a low carb makeover!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto mozzarella stick recipe for quite some time. They are fabulous to serve at parties and events, and need just 4 main ingredients to prepare! Now, these mozzarella sticks may look incredibly fancy but I promise you, they are simple to make and can be either fried, baked, or cooked in an air fryer!
No flour and no breadcrumbs are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is crispy and crunchy on the outside, and gooey in the middle. It’s cheesy, savory, and the crumb topping has a kick to it!
As someone who loves hosting friends over for parties, I served these recently and NO ONE believed me when I told them they are low carb- They thought it had to be loaded with carbs!
How do you make mozzarella sticks without breadcrumbs?
- String cheese– You must use a low moisture part-skim mozzarella string cheese. The other blends or non-mozzarella string cheeses will ooze out of the batter and not hold their shape. If you can’t find the correct string cheese, you can slice up a low moisture part-skim block of mozzarella cheese.
- Parmesan cheese– Finely grated parmesan cheese. I prefer using the shelf stable kind, as it sticks to the cheese easier, and mimics what traditional breadcrumbs do.
- Pork rinds– Crushed up pork rinds (usually found in the chip or snack aisle). I tried this recipe with coconut/almond flour but did not like the gritty texture it left.
- Italian herbs– Optional, but adds a lovely flavor.
- Egg and water- Mixed together to create an egg wash.
Start by slicing your mozzarella sticks in half, to be left with 24 sticks. Add your parmesan cheese, pork rinds, and herbs into a high speed blender or food processor and blend very well, until a powdery texture remains. Transfer the coating into a small bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and water, to form an egg wash.
Next, double coat the mozzarella sticks. Start by dipping the cheese in the egg wash, followed by the mock breadcrumbs, and repeat once more. Place the coated mozzarella sticks onto a lined plate and place them in the freezer for 2 hours, to firm up.
Now, add 2 tablespoons of oil into a deep pan and place over medium heat. Once hot, add the mozzarella sticks and cook for 2-3 minutes, before flipping and cooking until golden brown. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
Can I bake these in the oven or the air fryer?
Yes! If you’d like to make these mozzarella sticks healthier, you can bake them in the oven or the air fryer.
- Oven baked– Preheat the oven to 240C/500F. Place the mozzarella sticks onto a lined baking sheet and lightly spray the exterior with cooking spray. Bake for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Air fryer– Place the mozzarella sticks into an air fryer basket and cook at 200C/400F for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Tips to make the best keto cheese sticks
- Make sure the sides of the mozzarella sticks are well coated, to ensure the cheese doesn’t seep out at all.
- Do not omit the water from the egg wash, or else the crumb mixture will struggle to stick to it.
- Avoid over-freezing the mozzarella sticks, as they can break apart due to condensation.
- For the ultimate appetizer, serve these mozzarella sticks with pizza sauce or a ranch dressing.
Storing and freezing low carb mozzarella sticks
- To store: Cooked mozzarella sticks should be stored in the refrigerator, covered. They will keep well for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Place leftover cooked mozzarella sticks in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Reheating: Either reheat the mozzarella sticks in a preheated oven (180C/350F) for 10 minutes, or in the air fryer (200C.400F) for 6 minutes.
More keto appetizers to try
Keto Mozzarella Sticks
- 6 mozzarella cheese sticks part skim low moisture mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cups pork rinds
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs optional
- 1 large egg
- tbsp water
- Cut each mozzarella cheese stick in half and set aside. In a high speed blender or food processor, add your pork rinds, parmesan cheese, and Italian herbs, and blend until a powdery texture remains.
- Transfer the crumb mixture into a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and water, until combined.
- Moving quickly, dip each cheese stick in the egg mixture, followed by the dry mixture, and repeat once more. Place the coated mozzarella cheese sticks and place them on a lined plate. Place them in the freezer for two hours.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of oil into a non-stick pan and place over medium heat. Once hot, remove the cheese sticks from the freezer and place them in the sizzling oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes, before flipping and cooking for a further 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place the mozzarella sticks onto a plate covered with a paper towel, and serve immediately.