This keto buffalo chicken dip is loaded with shredded chicken, four kinds of cheese, and a delicious buffalo sauce! Creamy, comforting, and SO easy to make.
If there is one thing to get me through football season, it would be the appetizers.
As someone who is NOT a sports fan, I need to find a silver lining in everything, and even in sports, I turn to food. During any game on TV, I nurse the appetizers’ table and make an entire dinner out of them.
Even since starting a keto diet, I’ve continued this tradition, as many of my favorite game day snacks are naturally low carb. These include crispy chicken wings, spinach and artichoke dip, and my famous buffalo chicken dip.
Is buffalo chicken dip keto?
Traditional buffalo chicken dip can be keto friendly, provided it is made with the correct ingredients. You won’t have to worry though, because my homemade recipe is virtually zero carbs.
This keto buffalo chicken dip is seriously addictive and something that is always the first to be gone from the appetizer table. It’s deceptively simple to prepare, but is always sure to impress. It consists of shredded chicken, four kinds of cheeses (including cream cheese), all mixed with the most succulent buffalo sauce.
No sugar and no grains are needed, but you’d never tell. It’s thick, hearty, rich, and creamy. It’s got the spice from the sauce and a robust punch from the blue cheese.
My friends all know that I HATE sports, but they always seem to turn up when the game is on because they know I deliver in the appetizers department. Throw in some mozzarella sticks and jalapeno poppers and even the most non-sporty fan will be over.
How to make keto buffalo chicken dip
- Shredded chicken– I like using the breast portions of a rotisserie chicken with the skin and bones removed. You can use homemade shredded chicken if you prefer.
- Cream cheese– Full fat and softened cream cheese.
- Buffalo sauce– Frank’s Buffalo sauce is keto friendly and tastes delicious. If you use another brand, check the ingredients carefully to ensure there is no added sugar or hidden carbs.
- Sour cream– Balances out the tartness of the cream cheese and makes the dip creamier and smoother.
- Mozzarella cheese and Mexican cheese blend– A mix of both cheeses is used. If you can’t find a Mexican cheese blend, you can use Pepper Jack cheese or tasty cheese.
- Blue cheese– Optional, but I love crumbling blue cheese on top before baking and serving the dip, as it takes the flavor up a notch.
Start by preparing your shredded chicken, either using a store bought chicken or homemade shredded chicken breasts. Next, whisk together the softened cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and sour cream until combined. Fold through the shredded chicken and half the shredded cheeses.
Now, transfer the mixture into a greased baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Can I use canned chicken?
While you can use canned chicken, it won’t have the same thick texture. If you choose to use canned chicken, opt for one with no added sugar or thickeners in them. This ensures they are lower in carb.
Storing, freezing, and make ahead instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to three days.
- To freeze: Portions of the dip can be placed in an airtight container and stored in the freezer for up to two months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before consuming.
- Make ahead: You can prepare this dip up to four hours in advance. Simply prepare the mixture and transfer it to the baking dish. When ready to serve, sprinkle with the cheeses and bake for 15 minutes.
More appetizer recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Provided it is made with a keto friendly buffalo sauce, buffalo chicken is a fantastic low carb dish to enjoy.
Buffalo chicken dip has just 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups shredded chicken rotisserie chicken or homemade
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese divided
- 2 large green onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Lightly grease a 1-quart baking dish and set aside.
- Shred your rotisserie chicken or prepare shredded chicken and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cream cheese, buffalo sauce, and sour cream until combined. Fold through the shredded chicken and one cup of each of the cheeses, along with one green onion.
- Transfer the mixture into the greased baking dish and top with the remaining shredded cheese. Crumble the blue cheese on top. Bake the dip for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Remove the buffalo chicken dip from the oven and let it sit for several minutes, before serving immediately.