These keto jalapeno poppers are a quick and easy appetizer that happens to be low carb! Filled with a creamy and cheesy filling, they are wrapped in bacon and baked to perfection- No deep frying needed! Almost zero carbs per serving.
Keto Jalapeno Poppers
When I first visited America, I was astounded at the variety of appetizers that would be served at parties and events. The first party I ever went to, there was an entire table dedicated to them, and I struggled trying everything as there was so much variety. From various hot dips, to mini pastries, to grilled proteins, I could have easily made a meal out of appetizers alone.
While I try not to play favorites, my downfall was always the jalapeno poppers. There is nothing more delicious than a jalapeno pepper filled with a creamy, cheesy filling, all wrapped together with bacon. When I first went keto, I thought I’d have to give up my favorite savory food but luckily, they can easily be made low carb!
I’ve been meaning to share a jalapeno poppers recipe for quite some time. They are a guaranteed hit to serve at parties and events, and are seriously addictive. Now, these poppers may look incredibly fancy, but I promise you, they are so easy to make and take seconds to prep!
No sugar and no grains are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is crispy and tender around the edges, and thick and creamy in the middle. They are cheesy, very slightly spicy, and with a flavor punch from the bacon!
I recently hosted a small party at my house and served these jalapeno poppers and NO ONE believed me when I told them they were low carb- Everyone had several helpings throughout the night!
How do you make keto jalapeno poppers?
- Jalapenos– Jalapenos tend to come in various sizes. Aim for medium sized ones, approximately 4 inches in size. If you can’t find any suitably sized ones, you can use green bell peppers.
- Onion and garlic powder– A mix of the two gives some added flavor to the filling mixture.
- Salt and pepper– To taste. If you use a full flavored cheese, you can omit the salt.
- Cream cheese– Softened to room temperature.
- Shredded cheese– I used sharp cheddar, but any cheese can be used.
- Bacon– Use thin sliced bacon, to ensure it will turn out crispy and also wrap around the jalapenos easily.
Start by slicing the jalapenos in half and removing all the seeds and membrane. Place them onto a lined baking sheet and set aside. Next, in a mixing bowl, mix together the spices, cream cheese, and shredded cheese, until combined. Fill each of the halved jalapenos with the cheese mixture. Wrap each filled jalapeno half with bacon, and use a toothpick to hold it in place.
Now, place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges of the jalapenos have very slightly charred and the bacon is crispy.
Tips to make the best bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers
- Do not overfill the jalapenos, otherwise, you’ll struggle to wrap the bacon around it.
- If you’d like these poppers to be vegetarian, omit the bacon and replace it with extra shredded cheese on top.
- For a spicy kick, add 1-2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes into the cheese mixture.
Storing and freezing low carb jalapeno poppers
- To store: Jalapeno poppers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. They will keep fresh for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Place leftover jalapeno poppers in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Place the poppers on a lined baking tray and reheat in a preheated oven at 180C/350F for 7-8 minutes.
More keto appetizer recipes to try
Keto Jalapeno Poppers
- 12 large jalapeno peppers de-seeded and halved
- 1 cup cream cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 slices bacon halved
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the cream cheese, shredded cheese, and spices, and mix until combined. Scoop out portions of the filling into the jalapeno halves. Moving quickly, wrap a strip of bacon around each one, and add two toothpicks into each one, to hold into place.
- Place the jalapeno halves onto the lined baking sheet and bake 25-27 minutes, or until the bacon becomes crispy. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.