These keto sausage balls make a fantastic low carb appetizer made with just 5 main ingredients! Easy to prepare and delicious every single time.
Need appetizer inspiration? Here’s a delicious one we love to make regularly: low carb sausage balls.
No Bisquik and no grains are needed, but you’d never tell. They are soft and juicy in the middle and have a lovely tender exterior. They are cheesy and flavorful and with a hint of sweetness, without being overpowering.
This keto sausage ball recipe is the kind of recipe you’d make your non-keto friends to knock their socks off. It’s the dish you can easily find a second stomach for and one you’ll be fighting others to eat the last one.
Sausage balls are small bite-sized appetizers made with pork, cheese, milk, and almond flour. Maple syrup adds some sweetness and the green onions add a peppery punch! For this recipe, you’ll need:
- Ground pork. Lean ground pork works well, as there are plenty of wet ingredients to keep them juicy and tender.
- Almond flour. Either blanched almond flour or superfine almond flour. If you’d like more tender sausage balls, you can even use keto bread crumbs.
- Baking powder. Adds structure and helps bind everything together.
- Cheddar cheese and cream cheese. Both cheese uses for creaminess and cheesy flavor.
- Sugar free maple syrup. Skip the expensive store bought kind and make your own keto syrup!
- Milk. Any milk works.
- Onion powder. Adds a subtle onion flavor without needing any onions (and keeping the carbs down!).
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
- Green onions. Adds a subtle peppery kick.
How to make keto sausage balls
Sausage balls are easy to make: the only thing to remember is to process everything very well so a smooth mixture remains. Here is the basic idea of how to make it (or see the recipe below for specifics):
- Process: Add all the ingredients, except for the green onions, into a food processor and pulse several times until all the ingredients are incorporated. Add the green onions and pulse once more.
- Shape: Use a mini cookie scoop to scoop out portions of the mixture, then use your hands to shape them into balls. Place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake the sausage balls for 8-10 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of 160C or higher. Remove them from the oven and serve immediately.
Air fryer sausage balls
If you own an air fryer, easily make air fried sausage balls.
Simply prepare the recipe as instructed and when they are ready to cook, lightly grease an air fryer basket and place the sausage balls at the base in a single layer. Air fry at 200C/400F for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Do not over-bake the sausage balls as they are are prone to drying out. Once they reach an internal temperature of 160C and some are mostly tender on the outside, they are ready to be removed from the oven.
- Freshly grate your cheddar cheese instead of the pre-shredded kind. This will keep the sausage balls juicy and cheesy throughout.
- I add some keto maple syrup because I LOVE the maple sausage combination, but omit this completely.
Wondering how to store keto sausage balls? Here are best practices for sausage ball storage:
- To store: Sausage balls will keep in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Place leftover sausage balls in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave them in 20-second spurts until warm, in a preheated oven, or in the air fryer.
What to serve with sausage balls
Condiments are the key sidekick for these sausage balls. Some of my favorite keto condiments include:
Frequently Asked Questions
These sausage balls have less than 2 grams of net carbs per serving.
Depending on the brand of sausage, you can enjoy it on a keto diet. Just be sure it has no added fillers or preservatives in it.
Bisquik is not keto friendly as it contains flour and wheat in the mix.
Keto Sausage Balls Recipe (Easy!)
- 1 lb ground pork or ground sausage * See notes
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup keto maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 green onions chopped
- Preheat oven to 210C/425F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients, except for the green onions, and pulse several times until fully incorporated. Add the green onions and pulse twice until combined.
- Using a small cookie or ice cream scoop, scoop out equal size portions of the sausage ball mixture. Use your hands to shape them into balls and place them on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake the sausage balls for 7-10 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160C.
- Remove the sausage balls from the oven and serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
sorry, maybe I’m missing g it…but how many in a serving?
6 servings in an entire recipe
I just recently discovered your website, I’m managing Type 2 with diet alone, and can’t wait to try these sausage balls!! They’ll fit my schedule and my cravings beautifully!!
Im making these today for a family get together. You never disappoint. Love your recipes. Thanks so much.