This lamb vindaloo is a flavorful and hearty curry that comes together in no time! It’s bright and fiery, with the perfect kick of vinegary flavor and tanginess.
When it comes to Indian curries, we have a few favorites up our sleeve.
What is lamb vindaloo?
Lamb vindaloo is an Indian curry that contains chunks of lamb and various vegetables. The meat is cooked in a vindaloo sauce which is spicy and vinegary. It usually contains chilis, curry paste, and a range of spices, including ginger, and garlic.
We love making it at home because it’s:
- Loaded with vibrant flavors. Vindaloo curry is one of the best ways to infuse a simple cut of lamb with lots of bright flavors.
- Easy to customize. You can make this dish more or less spicy by adjusting the amount of vindaloo paste and green chili in the recipe.
- Perfect for meal prep. Make a big batch of lamb vindaloo and serve it for lunch or dinner throughout the week.
If you’ve bought a lamb leg and have no idea what you should do with it, then this lamb vindaloo is the perfect recipe to try. It’s fantastically fiery and exceptionally easy to make!
What is lamb vindaloo made of?
If you love trying out new curry recipes, then you will love this one too. The key ingredient in this dish is the vindaloo paste that you can get online or in Indian or Asian grocery stores and markets. Here’s the full list of ingredients to make this recipe:
- Lamb. Use lamb leg or chops for this recipe. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Onions. Sliced.
- Potatoes. Chopped into cubes.
- Tomatoes. Cut in quarters.
- Garlic and ginger. To add flavor.
- White vinegar. Add acidity and tartness to the curry and brighten it up.
- Ghee or butter. To saute the onions.
- Vindaloo curry paste. This paste typically contains ground spices, red chili, and ginger.
- Green chili. Adds a spicy kick.
- Water or vegetable broth. To boil all ingredients and create a flavorful sauce.
How to make it
Similar to most curry recipes, lamb vindaloo is not difficult to make either. Here’s how you make it.
Step 1- Marinate the lamb
Add garlic cloves, ginger, white vinegar, green chilis, and tomatoes to a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour this mixture into a bowl. Add the chopped lamb along with the vindaloo paste. Mix well to get the lamb fully coated in the marinade mixture.
Step 2- Cook the curry
Add ghee or butter to a Dutch oven or deep pot. When the butter melts, add the sliced onions and cook them until tender. Add the marinated lamb. Pour water or broth into the pot and bring it to a boil. Add the potatoes and lower the heat. Let the dish simmer uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the sauce has thickened.
Once the curry has thickened, transfer it into bowls and serve with fresh parsley.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Marinate the lamb in the vindaloo sauce for as long as possible for maximum flavor. You can leave the lamb in the spicy marinade for up to 24 hours.
- Add a splash of coconut milk to the curry if it has turned out spicier than you expected.
- If you don’t have vindaloo paste, make some yourself. For a homemade vindaloo paste, blend dried red chilies with garlic, ginger, tamarind, vinegar, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, and other spices of your choice.
- Garnish the curry with chopped fresh coriander for a pop of color and refreshing flavor.
To store. Place leftovers in the fridge, covered, for up to 5 days.
To reheat. Reheat the curry on the stove over low-medium heat.
To freeze. Freeze leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 months.
More Indian recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
The word curry refers to a South Asian dish featuring various types of meat and vegetables in a rich sauce. The key characteristic of curry is that it uses a wide range of spices, including cumin, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, etc.
There are different types of curry and vindaloo is just one of them.
While vindaloo is one of the hottest curries you can eat, a few other curries leave vindaloo behind. Some of the most scorching hot curries are naga, phaal, and bhut jolokia curry. The widower curry is said to be the hottest curry, measuring 6,000,000 SHU.
Lamb vindaloo is a spicy curry with tangy and vinegary. The dish is also mildly sweet due to the caramelized onions and tomatoes.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Lamb Vindaloo recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
- Add the garlic, ginger, white vinegar, chili, and tomato in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the marinade in a bowl with the lamb, along with the curry paste. Mix well, until all the lamb is well coated.
- Add the ghee to a Dutch oven or deep pot. Once hot, add the onion and cook until tender. Add the lamb, followed by the water, and bring it to a boil. Add the potatoes and reduce the heat to a simmer. Let everything simmer, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.