This low calorie pizza recipe has just 50 calories per slice and less than 400 calories for the ENTIRE pizza! The crust needs just 2 ingredients, and it comes with a low calorie pizza sauce too!
Low calorie pizza
Whenever I crave carbs while keeping my calories in check, I have a few favorite recipes on hand. I enjoy making low calorie bagels and on the weekend, some low calorie bread. Come dinner time, I love to whip up a low calorie pizza.
Why this low calorie pizza recipe will be a staple in your diet-
- 2 ingredients. Count them yourself! All you need is self rising flour and non-fat yogurt and voila- You have an instant low calorie pizza crust.
- Perfectly chewy crust. Most low calorie pizza crusts use a tortilla or flatbread but not this one- The crust reminds me of Pizza hut’s perfecto crust or Domino’s pan pizza.
- Ready in 10 minutes. No resting time and no yeast means the pizza takes 10 minutes from start to finish!
- Comes with a low calorie pizza sauce. Skip the sugar-laden pizza sauces and make your own calorie free sauce.
What I love about this recipe is just how calorie friendly it is. Each generous slice yields just 55 calories per slice (depending on the toppings) or you can enjoy an ENTIRE pizza crust for under 400 calories! Compare that to Domino’s, where their lowest calorie pizza has over 1000 calories.
What goes into a low calorie pizza?
For the low calorie pizza crust.
- Self rising flour– A combination of flour, baking powder, and salt. When combined with the yogurt, create a perfectly pliable dough to form into a delicious crust. Don’t have any on hand? Easily make your own.
- Non-fat Greek yogurt– Low in calories but high in protein! You can use any plain yogurt of choice, but the calories will be a little higher. Don’t fret though- You won’t taste the yogurt at all!
- Salt– Even though the self rising flour has a little salt in it, we add a pinch more just to balance out the overall flavor.
- Italian seasonings– The secret ingredient! Adding some of this spice mix to the dough takes the flavor to another level!
For the low calorie pizza sauce.
- Tomato sauce– Also known as passata (not ketchup). Use one with no added sugar or salt.
- Garlic and onion powder– Adds flavor to the sauce.
- Italian seasonings– Both in the dough and the sauce1
- Brown sugar substitute– Most pizza sauces have some sugar in them, so we cut the calories by adding a sprinkle of a brown sugar substitute.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Low fat cheese– Fat free or low fat mozzarella cheese has almost half the calories of full fat cheese.
- Turkey pepperoni– A lower calorie and lower fat version to traditional pepperoni.
- Vegetables– Mushroom, peppers, onion, and tomatoes are all fantastic options.
- Antipasto– Fat free sun dried tomatoes, sliced olives, or jarred artichokes.
- Sauces– Drizzle some sugar free ketchup or bbq sauce on top.
How do you make a low calorie pizza?
Start by mixing together the flour and yogurt until a smooth dough remains. Add the salt and Italian seasonings and, using your hands, shape the dough into a smooth ball.
Next, lightly flour a kitchen surface. Place the ball of dough on top and cover with a sheet of parchment paper. Roll out the dough into a large, pizza shape. Transfer the pizza onto a lined baking sheet or pizza pan.
Now, mix the low calorie pizza sauce ingredients. Spread it over the crust, reserving half an inch around the edge. Add your pizza toppings then cook the pizza for 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted.
Finally, remove the pizza from the oven and slice them into eight slices.
Low calorie frozen pizza
Skip the store bought frozen pizzas that pick in extra calories and fat, and simply make your own frozen low calorie pizzas.
Prepare the dough as directed and roll them into a pizza shape. Once rolled out, cover with plastic wrap, ensuring there are no visible air pockets throughout. Place the prepared pizza crusts in your freezer and they will keep for up to two months.
When ready to use, simply remove the plastic wrap and place it in a preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven, add the sauce and toppings, and bake until the cheese has melted.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place leftover slices in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating: Either microwave slices for 20-30 seconds or reheat in the oven until hot.
More low calorie recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe for a low calorie pizza crust and pizza sauce is one of the lowest calorie AND healthiest types of pizzas available. The dough uses just two ingredients, and the sauce has no added sugar.
Everything can be eaten in moderation, including pizza. This recipe is a fantastic option, as it is also low in calories, so you can include it seamlessly into any weight loss or calorie controlled diet.
Pizza hut and Domino’s both have pizza slices that have around 120-130 calories a slice. However, you can skip both takeout options and make this recipe instead, in which each slice has less than 50 calories!
Low Calorie Pizza (Under 50 calories!)
For the low calorie crust
- 2/3 cup self rising flour
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt non-fat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
For the low calorie pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the low calorie toppings
- 1/2 cup fat free mozzarella cheese divided
- 1/4 cup Pepperoni reduced fat or Turkey pepperoni
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking sheet or pizza tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour and yogurt and mix until combined. Add the salt and Italian seasonings and shape into a smooth ball of dough.
- Lightly flour a kitchen surface. Transfer the ball of dough on top and place a sheet of parchment paper on top. Use a rolling pin to roll it out into 1/4 inch of thickness. Transfer the dough onto the lined sheet or tray.
- In a small ball, whisk together the sauce ingredients until smooth.
- Spread the sauce over the pizza crust. Add half the shredded cheese, followed by the pepperoni, then the remaining cheese.
- Transfer the pizza into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the crust is golden. Remove the pizza from the oven and slice into eight slices.