An easy recipe for soft and chewy paleo vegan chocolate hazelnut cookies that taste like a Ferrero Rocher! Made without eggs and without sugar, these healthy Ferrero Rocher cookies use one bowl and ready in 20 minutes! Keto, Low Carb and sugar free!
Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
With my love of all things hazelnuts, I had to incorporate them somehow!
After making my homemade Nutella, I had a plethora of leftover hazelnuts. I’ve made a ton of no bake recipes with hazelnuts (like Ferrero Rocher Cookies and Ferrero Rocher bars), so wanted to try making cookies with them!
Soft and chewy chocolate cookies loaded with chocolate chips and crushed hazelnuts, they seriously reminded me of a Ferrero Rocher!
Unlike traditional chocolate cookies, my version was a little different. They are secretly healthy and made without butter or sugar. They are naturally paleo and vegan, as they are also made without eggs. I made a few other smart swaps, so my keto and low carb friends could enjoy them too!
Hazelnut Chocolate Cookie Ingredients
Making these healthy cookies are so easy and need just 10 ingredients!
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Monk Fruit Sweetener
- Baking Soda
- Coconut Oil
- Flax egg
- Almond butter
- Milk of choice (coconut, almond etc)
- Chocolate Chips (optional!)
Coconut flour helps add texture to the cookies, and slightly cake-like texture. Coconut flour cannot be substituted or omitted from the recipe, or it won’t work out well.
Monk Fruit Sweetener (and substitutions!)
Using granulated monk fruit sweetener ensures these cookies are keto, sugar free and low carb.
If you don’t follow a strict ketogenic diet, coconut sugar can be substituted.
Ensure your coconut oil is melted but cooled. This will ensure that the dough doesn’t firm up too fast and be able to be shaped into cookies.
Flax Egg (and substitutions!)
Using a flax egg replaces the need for any eggs in the recipe. To make a flax egg, combine 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water. Allow sitting for 10 minutes, until a gel forms.
If you can tolerate eggs, you can replace the flax egg with one large egg.
Almond Butter (and substitutions!)
Optional but highly recommended, add some chocolate chips to take the cookies up a notch!
For my keto friends, use stevia sweetened chocolate chips.
For paleo and vegan friends, use dairy free chocolate chips.
How to make Chocolate and Hazelnut Cookies
- Prepare your flax egg by combining your ground flaxseed with water and letting a gel form (about 10 minutes)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large tray with parchment paper or a Silpat cookie sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. In a seperate mixing bowl, add your coconut oil, almond butter and prepare flax egg, and mix until combined.
- Combine your dry ingredients with the coconut oil mixture. Fold in your chopped hazelnuts and chocolate chips, and mix well. If the batter is too crumbly, add a little milk of choice.
- Slightly wet your hands and form 16 small balls using the cookie dough. Transfer the balls of dough into the lined pan and press each ball into a cookie shape.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges have firmed up. Cookies continue to cook while they cool.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes, before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Storing Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
Cookies can keep at room temperature, in a sealed container or completely covered. Chocolate hazelnut cookies will keep well for 2-3 days. Any longer, and they will begin to go incredibly soft.
Chocolate hazelnut cookies are best stored in the fridge, as they will keep fresh tasting and last longer. Ensure the cookies are in a sealed container or kept on a plate covered in plastic wrap.
Refrigerated cookies will keep for at least 1 week.
These healthy chocolate hazelnut cookies are freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer to enjoy up to 6 months later!
Ensure the cookies are wrapped in parchment paper and placed in a ziplock bag or a shallow container.
To enjoy cookies from the freezer, thaw at room temperature.
Paleo Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies (Keto)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup almond butter can sub for any nut or seed butter of choice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips of choice Optional
- 1 tablespoon milk of choice * See notes
- Prepare the flax egg by combining the ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper or a cookie sheet and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. In a seperate small bowl, combine your coconut oil, almond butter and flax egg and mix well.
- Combine your ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in your hazelnuts and chocolate chips. If the batter is too thick/crumbly, add some milk until a thick dough remains.
- Form 12 small balls of dough and place on the lined pan. Press each ball into a cookie shape and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges slightly crisp up.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.