This healthy mug cake is super moist and fluffy, you won’t believe it uses wholesome and clean ingredients. Microwave and oven instructions included.
If you love mug cakes, this healthy mug cake recipe will be your new favorite.
It’s still just as delicious as any other mug cake, but uses more wholesome ingredients. It’s the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth without compromising on your health goals!
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy. Making this incredibly delicious treat requires only 3 easy steps and 90 seconds.
- Healthier. As the name suggests, we swap out typical cake ingredients like excessive butter and oil, along with white flour, and use more wholesome counterparts.
- Easy to customize. Customizing this recipe is easy; you can add your favorite flavors and toppings to create the perfect mug cake.
- Best texture. Don’t let the healthy halo fool you- This cake is just as moist and delicious and you’d expect.
No hard to find ingredients are used in this recipe. Here is everything you need:
- Oat flour. A gluten-free and fiber-rich alternative to white or wheat flour. I like to make homemade oat flour, but any packaged brand works.
- Tapioca starch. Binds the ingredients together and prevents the cake from becoming too dense.
- Cocoa powder. Gives the cake a lovely and rich chocolate flavor. Opt for a sweetener-free cocoa powder.
- Sugar. We use just a touch of sugar to sweeten the cake. Coconut sugar is a fabulous option as it is a natural sweetener, but white or brown sugar will work in a pinch. You can also use liquid sweeteners like maple syrup and honey.
- Baking powder. Rising agent used to give the cake some lift and fluffiness.
- Salt. Enhances the flavor of the cake.
- Milk. I used unsweetened almond milk but use whichever milk you prefer.
- Unsweetened applesauce. Instead of oil or butter, we’ll be using applesauce. It keeps the mug cake moist without adding excess calories or fat.
- Vanilla. Adds flavor.
How to make a healthy mug cake
Mix, bake and enjoy is all you have to do to make this healthy mug cake.
- Mix all the ingredients. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl until combined. Add the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Microwave. Transfer the batter to a greased mug and microwave for 90 seconds.
- Enjoy. Remove the mug cake from the microwave and let it cool for at least 30 seconds before enjoying it.
Can I use an oven instead?
Yes! If you don’t own a microwave or prefer to bake this, you can certainly do so. Grease an oven-safe ramekin and transfer the prepared batter into it. Bake at 180C/350F for 7 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Keep a firm eye while microwaving the mug cake. A little too long and you risk the cake becoming gummy and dry.
- Use a sugar-free sweetener to cut the sugar out completely. Allulose or monk fruit sweetener are two of my preferred options.
- Whisk the batter until it is smooth and there are no lumps. This will help to ensure that the cake cooks evenly.
- Add mix-ins, like fresh berries, chocolate chips, or your favorite nuts. I like to drizzle peanut butter or almond butter over the top.
Mug cakes are best enjoyed fresh so I don’t recommend storing it to enjoy later. If you do have any leftovers, cover in plastic wrap and keep it for up to one day.
More healthy mug cake recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
A dollop of Greek yogurt, whipped coconut cream, peanut butter, fresh and frozen berries are all healthy and delicious toppings.
Yes! If you don’t like the chocolaty-flavored mug cake, you can omit the cocoa powder. You can add other flavors like cinnamon, lemon zest, or nutmeg.
Healthy Mug Cake Recipe
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients until combined. Add the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased microwave-safe mug and microwave for one minute.
- Remove the mug cake from the microwave and let it sit for 30 seconds before enjoying.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.