The best vegan banana bread that is tender on the outside and moist on the inside! This easy vegan banana bread uses just one bowl and happens to be gluten free!
No milk, no butter, and no eggs needed- This truly is the BEST vegan banana bread.
This is the kind of banana bread recipe you need to have on hand. It’s perfect for those times when you are out of eggs, or you want to lick the bowl. It’s so easy to make and uses simple ingredients, you probably have all of them in your pantry right now. It can also be made sugar free.
I’ve made this banana bread countless times, especially when I want something sweet and healthy for breakfast, or have some friends over for coffee.
The texture of the vegan banana bread is everything a traditional banana bread has- Moist, fluffy and soft on the inside, yet incredibly tender on the outside. Even though it is made without eggs, it rises beautifully! The taste is buttery and loaded with banana flavor, with hints of cinnamon throughout.
How to make vegan banana bread
- Bananas– Mashed, overripe bananas are best, as they will yield a sweeter loaf.
- Vegan butter– Gives the banana bread the rich buttery texture, without the need for any oil.
- Vanilla extract– A must for delicious baked goods!
- Unsweetened almond milk– Any plant-based or dairy-free milk will work- I prefer using unsweetened almond milk.
- Apple cider vinegar– helps the bread rise and have a fluffy interior, without using eggs.
- Gluten-Free or All-Purpose Flour– To keep it gluten-free, you can use gluten-free flour.
- Granulated sweetener of choice- I’ve tried this recipe with white sugar, brown sugar, coconut palm sugar and monk fruit sweetener, a sugar free substitute. I recommend white or monk fruit sweetener (especially to keep it sugar free).
- Baking soda– Like the apple cider vinegar, this helps the loaf rise.
- Salt– Brings out the natural sweetness!
You’ll start by combining your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Then, add the wet ingredients and mix those together, until fully incorporated. Transfer your banana bread batter into a greased or parchment paper-lined loaf pan and bake for around 45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the center. I recommend allowing the banana bread to cool in the pan completely, before slicing and enjoying.
Can I make this vegan banana bread low carb or keto?
While this vegan gluten free banana bread can be made sugar free, it is not low carb or keto.
You may prefer to make flourless banana bread, which is grain free and lower carb.
Storing, Freezing and Thawing Tips
- To store: You have two options with storing the banana bread- room temperature or the fridge. Personally, I go through an entire loaf of banana bread within 2 days, so keep it at room temperature, covered. However, if you prefer to enjoy the bread over a week, you MUST refrigerate it. Place it on a place and cover it with plastic wrap. This will keep the bread fresh for one week.
- To freeze: This banana bread is freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer to enjoy at a later time. Frozen vegan banana bread will keep for 6 months.
- To thaw: Thaw banana bread at room temperature, or in the fridge overnight. If you prefer a warm slice of banana bread, I recommend either microwaving it (from room temperature) for around 45 seconds, or in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes (180C/350F).
More Vegan Banana Bread Recipes
- Flourless Banana Bread
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Raspberry Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
- Flourless Chocolate Banana Bread
Best Vegan Banana Bread (GF)
- 1 1/2 cups bananas mashed, approximately 4
- 1/2 cup vegan butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sweetener of choice sugar, coconut palm sugar, monk fruit etc
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk any dairy free milk will work
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour gluten-free, if needed
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your mashed bananas, sweetener, softened butter and vanilla and whisk well, until combined and smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix very well, until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the lined loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a skewer comes out the center clean.
- Allow banana bread to cool in the pan completely, before slicing up.