These No Bake SunButter Bars take just 10 minutes to whip up and can easily be adapted for those with allergies! Completely gluten free, vegan and paleo!
I know in Australia, new rules and regulations have come into place amongst many primary and high schools regarding foods which should be omitted from lunch boxes. Predominantly, it’s bars or snacks which include peanuts or other forms of nuts! The number of allergy outbreaks and severe illnesses had been on the rise and since it’s omission- things have settled down abit!
One of my favourite snacks to bring to work are my No Bake Kettle Corn Granola Bars or my Cashew Coconut Protein bars– true story! This week, I’ve eaten two of these bars each morning for breakfast with a hunk of cheddar cheese because I’m
lazy awesome. Saying that, nut butters are a key ingredient in them which is a big ‘No No’ for many schools here.
A nut free alternative I am mildly obsessed with is SunButter- and with it’s consistency, can be subbed easily in the above recipes. Not only that, but they are perhaps my favourite healthy fat spread to use in the below recipe.
Even though Niki isn’t doing Paleo anymore, I still had a couple of Paleo friendly recipes to share. She loves Caramel slice. This is…not caramel slice. However, it looks like it and it is delicious. Topped with homemade paleo chocolate and a delicious, textured base- it looks similar but tastes better.
Naturally Gluten free, Grain Free and Vegan– you can feel confident to jazz up your lunch box with this treat.
Or be the popular one.
- 1 cup SunButter (can sub for almond butter or tahini- I've tried both!)
- 1 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 cup almond flour (NOTE- For a completely allergy free bar, substitute for oat flour)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar*
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 cup almond milk ((NOTE- For a completely allergy free bar, substitute for non dairy non nut milk)**
- Paleo Chocolate, melted
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut flour, almond flour, coconut sugar, sea salt and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
- Stir through the SunButter until fully incorporated. Batter should be quite crumbly.
- Add the almond milk, one tablespoon at a time, until a very dense batter is formed.
- Press into a lined 9 x 9 inch baking dish and press firmly.
- Add the melted Paleo chocolate over it and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Remove from pan and cut into bars.
- * For sweeter bars, feel free to add some extra coconut sugar or honey/agave
- ** Depending on the brand of coconut flour you use, you may need more or less milk- Some brands are so absorbent, you may need a full cup.
- I've tried these bars with tahini and almond butter and work really well. These don't need refrigeration and can be kept in a covered container for up to 1 week. You can use standard sugar and melted chocolate if you don't follow a paleo diet.
Did you have a ‘nut ban’ in your school growing up?
What was a typical lunchbox snack for you?
Have you tried SunButter before?Keep in touch with me:
Twitter -> @thebigmansworld
Instagram – > thebigmansworld
Facebook – > thebigmansworld
Pinterest -> thebigmansworld
Bloglovin’ -> thebigmansworld