The BEST recipe for homemade puppy chow with a protein twist! 5 Ingredients, 5 minutes, and with hints of chocolate and peanut butter. An easy dessert or protein-packed snack- No butter and no sugar!
With more and more time spent at home, my snacking game has been on FIRE.
I’m the kind of person who could easily polish off a family bag of chips or an entire block of chocolate within 24 hours.
Wanting to be mindful of my snacking habit, I wanted to snack on something healthier, but without sacrificing on taste.
One of my favorite snacks is this healthy puppy chow. Instead of making the same batch again, I opted to make a few tweaks to the original recipe.
For me, adding protein to my meals REALLY helps balance my hunger levels, so a protein-packed puppy chow recipe was in the books!
Are puppy chow and muddy buddies the same thing?
For those of you thinking this is a recipe for pet food, think again!
Puppy chow is a popular homemade snack, typically made of butter, peanut butter, chocolate, powdered sugar, and crispy cereal.
Its other names include muddy buddies, moose munch, and monkey munch.
It gets its name from resembling pet food, but I promise you once you get past that, you’ll be a fan!
Puppy chow that is healthy?
As mentioned earlier, traditional puppy chow/muddy buddies contain regular butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar.
In my recipe, I omit the butter completely and also provide an option to use sugar-free powdered sugar. I also used dairy-free chocolate chips, ensuring this recipe is 100% vegan and gluten-free!
How to make protein puppy chow from scratch
Making homemade puppy chow is ridiculously simple
- Add your dry cereal into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Melt your chocolate chips and peanut butter together, either in a microwave-safe bowl or stovetop.
- Pour the chocolate/peanut butter mixture over the dry cereal and mix until completely combined.
- Transfer the cereal mixture onto a flat baking tray or lined surface, and spread out on an even layer.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 15 minutes, to cool slightly.
- Transfer the refrigerated mixture into a large mixing bowl and gently break apart the pieces, if any have stuck together.
- Add the powdered sugar and protein powder and mix well, until completely covering all the cereal completely.
- Let the mixture settle. Either refrigerate it for another 30-40 minutes or let sit at room temperature.
- Enjoy or store for later.
Puppy Chow Ingredients and Substitutions
- Rice Chex Cereal. I love using rice Chex cereal, as it is vegan and gluten-free. You can use any Chex style cereal of choice, depending on your dietary preference.
- Chocolate Chips. As mentioned earlier, I used dairy-free chocolate chips, that are naturally vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free. If you want the puppy chow to be sugar-free, use sugar-free chocolate chips.
- Peanut Butter. Smooth and drippy peanut butter is a must- If it is thick or crunchy, you’ll find it hard to mix into the chocolate. You can substitute the peanut butter for another nut butter, like smooth almond butter. If you want to use a nut-free substitute, use smooth sunflower seed butter or tahini.
- Protein Powder. Vanilla or chocolate protein powder. You can also use unflavored. Be sure that you enjoy the taste of the protein powder, as the flavor is very evident.
- Powdered Sugar. To cover the puppy chow with! In some places, powdered sugar is called confectioners’ sugar or icing sugar. to keep it sugar free, use sugar-free powdered sugar.
Frequently Asked Questions about Protein Puppy Chow
Can I omit the protein powder?
Yes, if you don’t want to add protein powder, that is completely fine.
I would recommend adding an extra tablespoon or two of powdered sugar, to compensate, but generally, it isn’t needed.
Can I double, triple, or make a bigger batch of this serving?
Puppy chow is a super popular snack to bring to gatherings and parties. One serving of this would likely not be enough.
To make a bigger batch, I recommend doubling the amount. Any more than that, you’ll find it harder to mix the ingredients together. If you need more than a double batch, make two or more double batch servings.
I don’t follow any diet. Can I use regular chocolate and regular powdered sugar?
Yes, if you don’t follow any specific diet, use regular baking chocolate or baking chocolate chips and regular powdered sugar.
NOTE: Using different brands of ingredients will alter the nutritional value.
How to store puppy chow
Puppy chow must be stored in a sealable container or ziplock bag, to maintain freshness. It will keep fresh for up to 4 weeks.
Does Puppy Chow need to be refrigerated?
No, puppy chow should remain at room temperature. Refrigerating it can sometimes cause pockets of liquid to appear, which will make the puppy chow soggy.
Can you freeze puppy chow?
Puppy chow is freezer friendly and can be stored to enjoy later. If you choose to freeze it, don’t freeze in a ziplock bag, but instead, a freezer-friendly container.
More delicious protein-packed treats
- Flourless Protein Brownies
- Protein Brownie Bites
- No Bake Protein Bars
- 5 Minute Protein Energy Balls
- 1 Minute Protein Brownie
Protein Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies!)
- In a large mixing bowl, add your Chex cereal and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl or stovetop, add your peanut butter with chocolate chips and heat until melted. Whisk together, until combined and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate/peanut butter mixture over the dry cereal mix. Mix well, until all the cereal is coated in the chocolate/peanut butter mixture.
- Transfer the mixture onto a flat tray or surface and spread out in a single layer. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, until it has cooled slightly.
- Remove from the fridge and place back in the mixing bowl. Add the powdered sugar and protein powder (if using it) and mix very well, until all the cereal is covered in the sugar/protein powder.
- Place back on the flat tray and let sit for 30-40 minutes, or until the powdered sugar has settled, before transferring to a sealable container or ziplock bag.
For a keto and low carb version, click here.TO STORE: Puppy chow must be stored in a sealable container or ziplock bag, to maintain freshness. It will keep fresh for up to 4 weeks. TO FREEZE: Puppy chow is freezer friendly and can be stored to enjoy later. If you choose to freeze it, don't freeze in a ziplock bag, but instead, a freezer-friendly container.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.