The perfect healthy snack, especially for Summer- These no bake protein packed bars use one bowl and take ten minutes to whip up and taste like a strawberries and cream shortcake! Vegan, allergy friendly, gluten free and with a paleo option, they are a kid friendly and no refrigeration needed!
Pssssst. Before we get into today’s post- I’ve got an amazing copycat recipe to share using one of these ingredients. Stay tuned.
I grew up thinking cow’s milk on it’s own was liquid punishment. Heck, I still think it’s liquid punishment.
Between the ages of 6-9, I always had to drink a glass of milk with breakfast. Every morning before school, I’d sit at the table with toast or eggs and an empty glass, praying that for one reason or another, mum had forgotten the milk.
She never did.
Every day between the ages of 6-9, I would scoff my breakfast then force feed the milk down my throat for at least 30 minutes. Each time, it never got easier and each time it had to be finished- There and then. I’d been brought up to never ever waste food so pouring it down the sink when mum wasn’t watching wasn’t an option. I tried to bribe Niki who actually enjoyed it but she wouldn’t have any of it and preferred to watch me suffer. I tried watering mum’s indoor plants with it one time and well…safe to say that plant is in Mother Nature Heaven (probably at the very back because it was an ugly, ugly indoor plant).
The worst part? Some weekends, dad would treat Niki and I to a breakfast out at McDonalds. This however, was not an excuse for the milk ritual to be ignored- It still had to happen. For those of you aware of McDonalds breakfast hours, they start at 6am but come 10.30, their menu switches over. We would aim to leave the house around 9am on these weekend mornings. Within 3 years, we probably went to McDonalds 20 times.
…We utilised the breakfast menu 3 times. Safe to say, after three long years, my parents learnt force feeding me plain cow’s milk just didn’t work.
Fruit loops, cocoa pops or anything more than 75% sugar? That I could do!
I never thought in a million years I’d be one of those people willingly swig milk out of the carton (pineapple or apple juice- yes!) until I first tried Almond Breeze Original in 2010. It was by accident- I received a sample from Price Chopper (the grocery store in my Upstate New York College) and it was sitting in my dorm room shelf (shelf stable milk = winning). I was leaving in a few days and didn’t want it to go to waste (yep, no food wastage) so opened it and took a tiny sip. I didn’t die. In fact, I really enjoyed it. I drank half in one go (2 cups?) and ever since then, had been a huge fan.
Then I came back to Australia where we had a 4 year delay and didn’t embrace almond milk until 2014. Womp womp. Alls well that ends well- Being here in America means I can partner up with my all time favourite dairy free milk to share this new recipe today featuring the milk that started the carton chugging again- Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Original.
When Blue Diamond sent me their original almond milk, I wanted to take a swig of it. Okay, I did. I then stayed true to my word and embracing ALL THE BERRIES. I also unpolished my No Bake crown and whipped up the perfect Summer (or anytime!) snack- These healthy No Bake Strawberries and Cream Snack bars. These snack bars taste like dessert but are ridiculously healthy for you, you can eat three in one sitting and call it breakfast.
These No Bake Strawberries and Cream snack bars as usual, have most dietary lifestyles in mind and cater accordingly. They are naturally gluten free, vegan, dairy free and refined sugar free. They have the option to add protein in for those who enjoy adding it to snacks. Bonus- I tried this out with SunButter and they tasted great so those with allergies- These are allergy friendly too! One bowl and 10 minutes is all you’ll need to whip them up to excuses be gone. For those wanting a healthy dessert, you can totally pass this off as that too because as mentioned- They taste like a strawberry shortcake!
Make these Healthy No Bake Strawberries and cream snack bars and be thankful we’re living in a day and age where DRINKABLE milks would now be embraced.
….That darn ugly indoor plant that let me down.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat bran (can sub for all oat flour)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 2 T + granulated sweetener of choice (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup freeze dried strawberries
- 1/4 cup Homemade paleo white chocolate chunks*
- 2 T strawberry jam (I used homemade strawberry chia jam)
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup Sunbutter (can sub for any nut butter- However no longer allergy friendly)
- 1/4 cup + Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Original milk **
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oat flour, oat bran, protein powder, sweetener of choice, freeze dried strawberries and white chocolate chunks and mix well.
- In a microwave safe bowl or stovetop, melt the brown rice syrup with the SunButter/nut butter and strawberry jam. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture until fully incorporated- Mixture should be crumbly.
- Using a tablespoon at a time, pour the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze original until the mixture is very thick. Press the mixture firmly into the lined pan and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, or consume immediately- However it will be quite soft.
- * Please see link below for recipe for white chocolate chunks
- ** Adjust accordingly. Depending on protein powder used, you may need less/more.
Love no bake snack bars? Of course you do. Here’s more!
No Bake Cashew Coconut Snack Bars (Vegan, Gluten Free, High Protein)
Extra Chewy Granola Bars (Vegan, Gluten Free High Protein)
No Bake Caramel Pecan Bars (Vegan, Gluten Free,High Protein)
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. Cheers, hugs and handshakes for supporting companies and brands which help in making The Big Man’s World continue to grow.
Are you a fan of milk on it’s own?
Do you have a green thumb or a black thumb, as I do?
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld