The taste and texture of cake batter in a delicious, no-bake bite form! These soft and chewy healthy bites taste like a treat but are packed full of nutrients! Ready in just five minutes, this recipe is also gluten-free, vegan, grain-free and completely paleo!
The silly things I do because of my stubbornness.
Last week, I was at Krogers (the local supermarket chain in Columbus, Ohio) and they had a promotion going on where they were giving sample cups of various cakes. The three on offer were red velvet, Angel Food Cake and a vanilla sprinkle cake.
Oh, one thing. Angel Food cake is like eating air.
Anyway, I was offered all three to sample and while all delicious, I was perplexed. The white sprinkle cake only had green, light blue, pink and yellow sprinkles in it. Why only those specific colors? Was the cake mix makers color racist? Did the other colors turn the cake another color or something?
WHY. WHY. WHY.
Being the goose I am, I asked the guy serving and he told me his name was not Duncan Hines. Well, obviously. He introduced himself at the start as Neil. Anyway, I left Krogers with no answer but with the intention to recreate the delicious vanilla batter flavor in a no-bake bite with ONLY those four colored sprinkles in them.
So what did that entail?
Being the goose AND stubborn goat I am, I used some decorative sprinkles (Yes, I know not Paleo. They were for decoration. Sue me) and single-handedly separated them by color so my recipe could entail the green, pink, light blue and yellow sprinkles.
Did they make a difference in the recipe in terms of flavor?
Absolutely not. However, they were delicious AND they looked like that silly, sprinkle racist cake. So what do we have here? Healthy No-Bake Cake Batte Bites.
These healthy No Bake Cake Batter Bites are without a doubt my favorite no-bake recipe to date- A very bold statement. It might have to do with being team vanilla over team chocolate or maybe the sprinkles DID have magic powers but regardless- They are epic. They are soft, chewy and taste like a sweet treat but are actually ridiculously healthy and packed full of protein. Not only are the completely sugar-free and take less than 10 minutes to whip up, they are also naturally gluten-free, vegan, grain-free and paleo (YES. I KNOW SPRINKLES AREN’T PALEO.).
For my non-paleo friends who make this recipe, PLEASE try adding in the all-purpose gluten-free flour- It seriously takes the texture to the next level. Although using the completely paleo option is already very cake-like- Holla, coconut flour.
Make these Healthy No Bake Cake Batter Bites and I’ll forgive you if you don’t color coordinate your sprinkles or if you omit them all together. #Paleo.
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour*
- 1/4 cup gluten-free cake flour (can use all oat flour)*
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I tried a vegan brown rice brand, a paleo egg white brand and a casein blend)- Optional
- pinch sea salt
- Handful of sprinkles (optional)
- Granulated sweetener of choice**
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nut butter of choice (I used cashew butter)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (can sub for honey, agave or brown rice syrup)
- 1 T + dairy free milk of choice***
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your flours, protein powder, salt and granulated sweetener and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl or stovetop, melt your nut butter with the maple syrup. Whisk in the vanilla extract and pour into the dry mixture. Mix very well until fully incorporated.
- If batter is too thick (it generally is), add a tablespoon of dairy-free milk, until a thick batter is formed. If batter is too thin, add a dash more flour until a thick batter is formed. Stir in optional sprinkles and form into bite sized balls.
- Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, or until firm.
- * For the paleo option, use 1 cup TOTAL coconut flour or almond flour, however you'll need to adjust the liquids for the latter.
- ** My protein powder was sweetened so I omitted but adjust accordingly
- *** Depending on the blend of flours you use, you may need less or more. Adjust accordingly.
- Bites can be stored at room temperature but best refrigerated.
Healthy No-Bake Snickerdoodle Bites (Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free)
Healthy No-Bake Pumpkin Spice Latte Bites (Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free)
Healthy No-Bake Banana Bread Bites (Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free)
PS- Don’t forget to check out if there’s one of these in your areas! Free dinner, anyone?!
Any idea why the sprinkle spiked cake mixes only have those colors? WHAT ABOUT METALLIC GREEN OR BLACK?
Have you ever tried Angel food cake? Do you think it’s like eating air? Seriously, I almost ate the box too.
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - email@example.com
Snapchat - thebigmansworld