These chocolate protein bars are a homemade and healthier version of store bought protein bars! Made with simple, wholesome ingredients, these make a delicious snack between meals or before a workout!
When I’m looking to make chocolate protein powder recipes, I always turn to these homemade bars. They are so much cheaper and tastier than packaged ones and use much better ingredients. I find myself feeling much more satisfied when enjoying a homemade version, and I love knowing EXACTLY what goes into them!
Before a workout, after a workout, or when you what a high protein chocolate snack, you will love to have these on hand.
How to make chocolate protein bars
- Oat Flour– Homemade oat flour or store bought oat flour can be used. Be sure it is gluten free, if needed.
- Coconut Flour– When combined with the oat flour, coconut flour acts like a sponge, and gives these chocolate protein bars a chewy texture. You can sub this out with extra oat flour.
- Protein Powder– Be sure you like the taste of your protein powder, as the flavor will be evident. Use a chocolate protein powder for an even stronger chocolate flavor.
- Cocoa Powder– Use a good quality cocoa powder. I used dark cocoa powder, as I love dark chocolate protein bars.
- Peanut Butter- Smooth and drippy peanut butter, with no added sugar. You can use any smooth nut or seed butter, like almond butter or sunflower seed butter.
- Maple Syrup– Gives extra sweetness, and holds the protein bars together. You can use agave nectar, honey, or brown rice syrup.
- Chocolate Chips– Optional, but great to add in to give a fun extra chocolate boost!
In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well, until combined. In a microwave safe bowl or stovetop, melt your peanut butter and maple syrup together, until the peanut butter has melted. Whisk the two together, before adding it to the dry mixture. Mix together your chocolate protein bar mixture. If needed, add some milk or water to thin out. Next, you’ll transfer the mixture into an 8 x 8-inch pan or loaf pan. Press the protein bar mixture down to an even layer. Refrigerate the protein bars for at least an hour, to firm up.
Tips for perfect chocolate protein bars
- Please use a good quality protein powder and one that you enjoy the taste of. The protein powder flavor can be evident, so this is key. I recommend chocolate casein protein powder or chocolate brown rice protein powder.
- If your protein bar batter is too thick and crumbly, add some milk to it, to thin it out. You want the batter to be thick, and doughy.
- Drizzle the tops of each protein bar with melted chocolate, for an extra dose of chocolate flavor.
- I recommend having thicker bars instead of thinner bars, so often use a loaf pan instead of a square pan.
Storing and Freezing Chocolate Protein Bars
- To store: If you prefer soft and chewy chocolate protein bars, you can store them at room temperature, in a sealable container. For thicker and chewier protein bars, keep them stored in the refrigerator. They will keep well for up to 1 month.
- To freeze: Freeze leftover protein bars in the freezer, to enjoy at a later time. Place them in a ziplock bag and keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More Protein Bar Recipes to Try
- Cookies and Cream Protein Bars
- White Chocolate Raspberry Protein Bars
- Apple Pie Protein Bars
- Cinnamon Bun Protein Bars
No Bake Chocolate Protein Bars
- Line an 8 x 8-inch pan or 9 x 4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, protein powder and cocoa powder and mix well. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl or stovetop, combine the peanut butter and maple syrup and heat until melted. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix well. If the batter is too thick, slowly add milk, one tablespoon at a time, until thick.
- Transfer to lined baking dish and press firmly into place. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, before drizzling with chocolate.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.