Make the perfect protein chia pudding every time with this foolproof recipe. Prepared with only five ingredients and five minutes, it is a healthy, chocolaty, and satisfying breakfast idea.
And when it is time to cook delicious yet healthy treats, I often return to puddings. If you have already tried my viral chia pudding recipe, I am sure you’ll love this high protein chia pudding.
Benefits of protein chia pudding
Like the regular chia pudding, this protein chia pudding is made by soaking chia seeds overnight until they triple in size.
Chia seeds are rich in dietary fiber and help regulate digestion, making them the perfect breakfast. They are also enriched in omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, and other antioxidants that reduce inflammation and chronic diseases.
Each serving contains up to 20 grams of protein, keeping you full for a long time. Because it curbs snacking, you can easily keep the extra calories at bay.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy. You can make this pudding with minimum effort and basic cooking skills. It takes only five minutes to make it, and all you got to do is mix (like overnight oats!).
- Tasty and filling. Like protein oatmeal, not only is this pudding filled with chocolaty goodness, but because of added protein powder, you won’t feel hungry till lunchtime.
- Make ahead. You can make a big batch of chia pudding and enjoy a healthy breakfast all week. It makes a fabulous meal prep breakfast.
- Almost like dessert. Also why keto chia pudding is such a popular low carb breakfast AND dessert.
What I love the most about this recipe is how thick, soft, and gooey the texture is. Another wonderful thing about this chia pudding is that you can make it with many exciting toppings.
You’ll need only five simple ingredients to make this sweet, creamy chia pudding. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chia seeds. Use black or white chia seeds, whichever is available.
- Cocoa powder. I have used unsweetened cocoa powder for this recipe.
- Milk. I have used whole dairy milk for this recipe, but you can opt for non-dairy milk like almond, coconut, or soy based on your dietary preference.
- Maple syrup. As a sweetener. You can swap it with agave syrup or honey. I don’t prefer using processed sugar to make this pudding.
- Protein powder. Use a vanilla protein powder to retain the chocolaty taste and also have a subtle vanilla flavor. I often use whey-based casein powder or plant-based protein powder in my breakfast.
How to make delicious protein chia pudding
Making this chia pudding is a cakewalk. You can make this pudding quickly with a mixing bowl and simple ingredients.
- Make the pudding. Add chia seeds, cocoa powder, and cocoa powder in a bowl, and give it a good mix. Add milk and maple syrup to the bowl, and stir to make a homogeneous slurry.
- Divide and refrigerate. Split the pudding equally into two small jars or bowls and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. I refrigerate mine overnight for the perfect texture and consistency.
- Garnish and serve. Mix the contents of the pudding and finish it with your favorite toppings. I often add a dollop of coconut cream and toasted nuts for a textural variety.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly. Mixing chia and mix prevents clumping of seeds into pockets. Once combined, let it sit for 5 minutes on the kitchen counter, and stir it again. You’ll not have dry chia seeds in your final pudding when set this way.
- Adjust the consistency. Before serving, add more liquid/milk for a thinner consistency.
- Choose the best protein powder. If you’ve never bought protein powder, making the right choice is overwhelming. Flavors like vanilla and chocolate work well in this recipe. Check the contents of the powder to avoid added sugars and unpleasant flavors (check out our protein cookies or protein mug cake for top tips for working with protein powder).
- Adjust the sweetness to your liking. Add more or less maple syrup to satisfy your sweet tooth. Also, if your protein powder is sweetened, use less sweetener in the pudding.
- Use fresh chia seeds. Old seeds may lose the ability to soak liquid and not gel successfully. So, always check the expiry date before use, and try using fresh seeds for this recipe.
- Add fruit toppings. Fresh berries and bananas complement the chocolaty flavors and add complexity to the pudding. I often go raspberries. You can also add mixed frozen berries as toppings.
- Make it more chocolaty. Add choco chips and finish the pudding with chocolate shavings for an intense chocolate flavor and texture.
- Make it creamier. Add a dollop of fresh or whipped cream or Greek yogurt for a rich taste. If you prefer non-dairy options, top off the pudding with coconut cream.
- Add flavors. Add flavors like vanilla bean extract, ground cinnamon, and hazelnut extract that go with chocolate.
To store. Store the chia pudding in the refrigerator for 5-6 days in an airtight container.
To freeze. For long-term storage, put it in a freezer-safe jar and store it in the freezer for up to six months.
More pudding recipes to try:
Frequently asked questions
If the texture of chia seeds bothers you, blend the pudding using a hand blender to make a smooth pudding.
Mix one tablespoon of chia seeds with half a cup of milk for a single serving of this chocolate pudding.
This protein pudding almost tastes like chocolate brownie batter. For a choco-walnut brownie feel, you can also top it with nut butter and chopped walnuts.
Besides being an excellent breakfast option, you can eat it after a workout, as an afternoon snack, or even as a dessert.
This recipe is gluten-free, and you can also make it vegan by substituting regular milk with plant-based milk.
Protein Chia Pudding
- Combine cocoa powder with ½ cup of the milk and stir until well combined.
- Add the remaining milk, chia seeds, chocolate protein powder, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide the mixture between two bowls and refrigerate for two hours.
- Add toppings and enjoy.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.