This healthy high protein golden milk overnight oats recipe is creamy, comforting and full of flavor! Made with warming spices with healing properties, this recipe is naturally gluten free, vegan, dairy free and can be made sugar free!
“Why all of a sudden are you sharing Persian recipes?”
“What do you mean?”
“You are adding turmeric in everything. That is SUCH a Persian thing to do.”
Once again, my mum is proclaiming how the Persians invented/discovered everything- Including turmeric.
Those of you who haven’t used turmeric in a recipe or used this spice consistently, do yourself a favor- Be prepared to have deliciously curry-colored fingers, turmeric under your fingernails, and a yellow tinge on your kitchen bench. It brought back childhood memories of my mum making kotlet (this is NOT my mum’s recipe…you should hear her winge about how wrong this version is), and how her hands would look like she was playing in a sandbox.
Can we talk recipe details for a second?
When I first made this, I had these grand plans to simply soak the oats in a pre-made golden milk mixture. Unfortunately, the result was less than stellar, and the color of the oats was visually unfortunate. Obviously, the ‘golden’ part of the recipe is due to the turmeric so I re-made it, but stirred through some turmeric towards the end and voila- Something visually appealing AND delicious to boot!
This healthy high protein ‘golden milk’ overnight oats recipe is smooth, creamy and takes minimal prep! It’s loaded with warming spices (turmeric, cayenne pepper/black pepper and ginger), and with a hint of sweetness (honey or maple syrup), finished with some milk of choice- Coconut works best, but you can use any! I also opted to add a scoop of protein powder for some added satiety, but that part is completely optional! Based on the ingredients used, these golden milk overnight oats are naturally gluten free, vegan, dairy free and can easily be made sugar free!
HACK! Not a fan of overnight, refrigerator style oatmeal? This breakfast bowl can totally be enjoyed warm, simply prep it as normal and either microwave it or cook it stovetop, adding an extra 1/2 cup milk of choice.
Make this healthy high protein golden milk overnight oats recipe and don’t forget to thank my mum.
She invented YOU.
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 T coconut flour (can sub for 1 T oat flour or almond flour)
- 1-2 T granulated sweetener of choice*
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 1 T ground flax (can sub for chia seeds)
- pinch sea salt
- pinch black pepper OR cayenne pepper
- pinch ginger
- pinch turmeric
- drop vanilla extract
- 1/2-3/4 cup + unsweetened coconut milk (can use any milk of choice)
- 1- 2 T honey or maple syrup (use a sugar free maple syrup to keep it sugar free)
- In a cereal bowl or small container, combine your rolled oats, coconut flour, vanilla protein powder, ground flax, sea salt, pepper and ginger and mix well. Add 1/2 cup coconut milk first, vanilla extract and mix well. If mixture is too crumbly (it may be due to coconut flour and protein powder), add extra coconut milk until an inch or so remains above the oats and refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.
- The next morning, remove oat mixture from the fridge- The oat mixture should be thick and creamy. If too thick, add more coconut milk to thin out to desired consistency. Stir through turmeric and swirl through the honey/maple syrup on top and enjoy!
Do you prefer oats warm or cold?
Do your parents/family members ever claim they invented something? Don’t get me started…
Facebook - /thebigmansworld
Pinterest - /thebigmansworld
Instagram - @thebigmansworld
Twitter - @thebigmansworld
Bloglovin - thebigmansworld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Snapchat - thebigmansworld