These 3-ingredient banana bread bars are a quick and easy recipe made with oatmeal, banana and peanut butter! Made without eggs, without butter, and without flour, these thick and chewy bars take 12 minutes to make!
Healthy Banana Peanut Butter Bars
When I found myself with a few extra overripe bananas on hand, I KNEW I had to either make banana bread or….breakfast bars.
Thick, soft and chewy banana bread bars loaded with banana flavor and sprinkled with chocolate chips, these bars are perfect for a wholesome breakfast!
Made with 3 simple ingredients, these naturally gluten-free and vegan bars take minutes to prepare and make. It also comes with a tested oat-free and paleo option!
Ingredients to make Banana Bread Bars (and substitutions!)
You only need THREE (or 4!) basic ingredients to make these banana bread bars!
Use certified gluten-free rolled oats to ensure the recipe is gluten-free. I prefer using rolled oats as opposed to quick or instant oats, as it yields a thicker, chewier texture.
To keep it oat-free, you can use quinoa flakes.
The riper your banana is, the sweeter your breakfast bars will be. Definitely try to use super ripe bananas, as you will have no need for any added sugar!
Adding peanut butter gives these flourless bars a rich and decadent flavor, along with the pairing with banana.
How to make Banana Bread Bars
- Combine all your ingredients, except for chocolate chips, in a large mixing bowl. Mix together, until the banana, oats and peanut butter are fully incorporated.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold through your chocolate chips, reserving a few to top the bars with.
- Transfer the banana bread bar batter into a square pan. Top with chocolate chips and bake for 12-15 minutes (depending on what texture you prefer- see below), or until the edges have gone slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bars to cool in the pan completely, before slicing.
How to enjoy banana bread bars
For those who enjoy thick, chewy and firm banana bread bars…
Follow the instructions as below and cook for the full duration. The edges become slightly more golden brown than in the center, but once cooled, they firm up beautifully. I prefer this way when I want a heartier snack or breakfast- It’s fantastic topped with some cashew butter, peanut butter or a drizzle of coconut butter.
For those who prefer gooey, moist and softer banana bread bars…
Follow the instructions as below, but feel free to add an extra medium-sized banana and/or cut back on the gluten free rolled oats. Double check the bars halfway through the cooking time and remove once lightly cooked in the center. Once cooled, they will firm up, but continue to be incredibly gooey in the center! It’s delicious when warmed slightly, and the optional chocolate melts into the bars.
How to store banana bread bars
Banana bread bars should be stored at room temperature, as they will keep well that way. Keep the bars in a sealed container or on a plate covered in plastic wrap.
Banana bars are also freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer. Wrap bars in parchment paper and place in a ziplock bag or shallow container.
To enjoy banana bars from the freezer, allow thawing at room temperature.
How to make banana bread bars paleo-friendly
Naturally vegan and gluten-free, you can make this banana bread bars recipe paleo friendly by subbing the oats for almond meal.
The bars will be much softer, but still, taste great!
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- Sticky Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal
- Vegan Breakfast Bake
- Strawberry Crumble Breakfast Cookies
- Keto Overnight Oatmeal
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Healthy 3 Ingredient Flourless Banana Bread Bars recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Healthy 3 Ingredient Flourless Banana Bread Bars
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all your ingredients and mix well. Fold through half your chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the greased baking tray and press down evenly. Top with extra chocolate chips and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden on the outside and firm in the center.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before slicing into bars.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.