This cinnamon roll oatmeal is a healthy breakfast that tastes like dessert! Packed with protein and fiber, it’s creamy, and topped with a dairy free cream cheese swirl! Vegan, Gluten Free, and Dairy Free.
We love starting our mornings with oats in some form. Our favorites include overnight oats, blueberry baked oatmeal, and this creamy cinnamon roll oatmeal.
I’ve grown up eating cinnamon and oatmeal together. My standard bowl of oatmeal would have the same three things- cinnamon, brown sugar, and a dollop of cream cheese.
Now that I am focused on making my oatmeal healthier and more filling, I’ve changed things up a little bit. The cinnamon is still there and the cream cheese has been replaced by dairy free cream cheese but now there is a secret addition- protein powder!
Adding a scoop of cinnamon roll protein powder takes this cinnamon oatmeal to another level. It adds thickness, extra creaminess, and a whopping 35 grams of protein.
Why make this cinnamon roll oatmeal?
This sticky cinnamon roll batter oatmeal doesn’t need words to describe it- The name says it all. It literally has the taste and texture of a sticky cinnamon bun, but without the sugar, butter, or flour.
While this oatmeal is naturally gluten free, dairy free, and vegan, it’s also completely sugar free.
How to make cinnamon oatmeal
- Rolled Oats– I prefer rolled oats over quick cooking oats, because they have a thicker and chewier texture. Feel free to use quick oats if you prefer smoother oatmeal. Be sure to use gluten free oats, to keep this recipe gluten free.
- Salt– Brings out the flavor of all the other ingredients.
- Cinnamon– You can add much more than recommended, especially if you like a stronger cinnamon flavor.
- Milk of choice– Any unsweetened milk of choice can be used. I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Gives the oatmeal extra sweetness, without adding sugar. Monk fruit sweetener and erythritol are my preferred sugar free sweeteners.
- Protein Powder– Optional, but highly recommended. Use a vanilla or cinnamon flavored protein powder.
- Cream Cheese– To stir through the oatmeal to give it a true cinnamon bun flavor. I used dairy free cream cheese, but use standard if you don’t follow a dairy free recipe.
Start by preparing your oatmeal in either the microwave or saucepan. Combine your oats with salt, cinnamon, and the milk of choice. Microwave or heat on stovetop until the liquid has been mostly absorbed by the milk. Next, add the granulated sweetener of choice, before whisking in the protein powder, until fully incorporated. Finally, stir through the cream cheese and top with extra cinnamon, if desired.
Cinnamon Roll Overnight Oats
If you prefer your oatmeal overnight oats style, you can definitely prepare it that way. This is great if you’d like to prep your breakfast in advance.
You will only need to use half the amount of milk required. Combine all your ingredients into a cereal bowl or shallow container. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight. When ready to eat, mix together all the ingredients together and add extra milk, if desired.
Slow cooker tips
Easily prepare a big batch of making crockpot or slow cooker oatmeal.
For 4 servings– 3 cups water, 3 cups milk of choice, 2 cups rolled oats, 1/2 cup granulated sweetener of choice, 2 tablespoons cinnamon.
Place the water, milk, and oats in a slow cooker and cover. Cook on low for 8 hours. Turn off heat and stir through the granulated sweetener and cinnamon.
Storing and Freezing Oatmeal
- To store: If you prep multiple batches of cinnamon oatmeal keep stored in the refrigerator at all times. Oatmeal will keep well for up to 5 days. Simply reheat in the microwave or stovetop when ready to eat.
- To freeze: Cream cheese oatmeal is freezer friendly and can be stored in the freezer. Be sure to use freezer friendly containers.
- To thaw: Thaw oatmeal overnight in the refrigerator or the day of at room temperature.
More healthy breakfast recipes
- Keto Breakfast Muffins
- Sweet Potato Oatmeal Muffins
- Strawberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Keto Bagels
- Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal
For the oatmeal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats gluten free, if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice * See notes
- 1/2 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 cup milk of choice I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1-2 tablespoon cream cheese dairy free, if needed
- In a saucepan or microwave safe bowl, combine the rolled oats, salt, cinnamon, sweetener of choice and milk of choice and simmer on medium until most of the liquid is absorbed. If adding protein powder, add it here now.
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Stir through the cream cheese and top with extra cinnamon
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
I admit I’m a fan of raw anything dough, which probably does mean I should dip into some oatmeal 🙂 this is maybe the best recipe story ever! Way better than making lemonade from lemons 😉
Hahahaha. Let’s open a lemonade stand!
Oh man, this is totally going to happen for breakfast this week…or possibly dessert. Both. Yes. YUM!
YES! Thanks so much Margaux!
Confession: I have never had a Cinnabon cinnamon roll before. As long as I make this oatmeal, I don’t think I will feel like I am missing out.
YES! You’ve got the right frame of mind, Heather! 🙂
All of these cinnamon bun recipes are making me so happy! There is nothing like a fresh, warm, gooey cinnamon roll, but you already know that 😉
Right? Thanks so much, Alison!
I prefer raw cookie dough to the actual cookies. I’m good with that.
That is why you are my favourite person. I mean favorite person.
We must be thinking alike today as I just posted cinnamon roll pancakes!
I saw that and drooled!
Ditto Meghan’s comment above! I’m totally psyched to give this a try – I’ve missed oatmeal. Now that its cooling down, its the perfect time to get reaquainted.
Enjoy it in your pink dress with a cup of tea! 😉
Made it this morning using almond milk. Fantastic! Tastes like its WAY unhealthy for you…yet its not. I particularly like that its got a nice dose of protein in it. Great work!
Also impressed at how great your pics of it are. I tried several times but daaaamn, oatmeal is a hard subject to capture!
naww thanks so much buddy! Seriously, the glaze I could eat with a spoon.
Defo going to try this one out. I’m an oatmeal eater in the morning since it’s so easy to prepare, so this would be perfect. Do that the same results could be made for a big batch via crock pot or in chilled container (overnight oats style)? I wake up quite early and normally don’t feel like cooking, especially at 430-5 in the morning.
Hey Justin! Definitely- I initially trialled this out using a slow cooker- If you go that route, I’d recommend using steel cut oats- They take it up a notch! If you want to add protein powder, add it AFTER you’ve cooked it up 🙂
I don’t know if I’ve ever eaten a non-cookie dough…Then again, I don’t think I’ve ever bought non-cookie dough either. I seem to be missing out here 🙁 Thanks for the idea! I need to get back into oatmeal this fall. It always looks delicious, but I don’t make it because it “takes too long” 😉
This is delicious and quick! 🙂
Wow, man this looks so good! You know how make breakfast look SUPER GOOD. <3 I think, the next time we have a cool day, this is going on the stove.
Please do, Emily! 🙂
The supermarkets here are still such a novelty for me – I still make david go down every single aisle with me every time we go! Well, I don’t want to miss anything! Haha!
The whole cookie dough thing wasn’t really done in the UK! Yeah we all snuck some cake batter/ dough from the bowl but to be honest, we all wanted the final product more!
Right? We had a similar concept at home too but when in Rome…
This would totally make up my morning. I must make this for my kids. It sounds sinful 🙂
Haha thanks so much, Miryam- A better choice than actual batter :p
This looks super yum Arman! And easy too 🙂
Thanks so much, Ramya!
Oh yum- this looks fantastic..bet it would kill my Cinnamon Toast Crunch craving – best cereal out there in my ever so humble opinion 😉 It makes me laugh just how much variety is available in the US. A friend of mine just got back from New York and came back with Peanut Butter Twix for me–> I had no idea it even existed but I’m ever so glad it does!
Right? They have peanut butter EVERYTHING here!
I am a huge oatmeal fan and cinnamon roll fan, but who isn’t? What a great way to start of your day! Pinning!
Thanks so much, Amy!