A delicious, healthy and hearty oatmeal which tastes exactly like cinnamon roll batter! This quick and easy breakfast recipe tastes like dessert and can be enjoyed hot or cold! Naturally gluten free, dairy free and vegan, there is a completely sugar-free option too!
You should be ashamed of yourself for what you did.
The voice of reason in your head.
I’m not going to lie. The first few weeks that I was in America, supermarket store visits were perhaps considered to be a novelty. Going through the various aisles, I’d be baffled, amazed and sometimes even shocked at what I’d see. Some of my intriguing lessons learnt-
Frozen foods = Your favorite restaurant foods could definitely be purchased frozen.
Canned foods = Tuna is not the ONLY protein which can be purchased canned.
Fresh foods = Apparently you can get grapes which taste like cotton candy.
Packaged foods = My savior.
Why? Next to the eggs was my all time favourite fast food treat all wrapped up ready for me to make myself.
Cinnabon inspired cinnamon rolls.
I pretty much whipped my hair back and forth with excitement and nearly knocked over the Hamburger Helper display (another ‘interesting’ concept) on the right side of them. Long time readers may remember how getting a Cinnabon cinnamon roll from the dirty Subway station was on my food bucket list last year. Now? I could make these beauties in my own home…or so I thought.
Obviously, I left the store with one package in tow with the intentions of baking them up. Upon opening the package and following the instructions, I was transformed to the dingy Subway station in Manhattan during peak hour traffic, salivating at the scents of Cinnabon. I couldn’t help myself but take a bite of the batter and even dig into the frosting too. One bite let to another which let to another until…
Let’s just say the oven never got turned on and I had a stomach ache.
After my packaged cinnamon roll batter experience and consequences, it would be safe to assume that I wouldn’t go near it with a ten foot pole.
I could NOT get the delicious taste and texture of the cinnamon roll batter out of my mind. It seriously took some self control NOT to buy another package and repeat the process but I knew better than that and I knew how to combat it. Recreate the taste and texture of the sticky cinnamon roll batter…..in oatmeal form. This, my friends, will change your views on oatmeal, breakfast and cinnamon rolls- Sticky Cinnamon Roll Batter oatmeal.
This sticky cinnamon roll batter oatmeal doesn’t need to words to describe it- The name says it all. It literally has the taste and texture of cinnamon roll batter (trust me, I took one for the team and sampled the real deal ;)) but without the sugar, white flour, butter and forthcoming stomach ache. While the oatmeal itself has the batter like consistency, the icing (pun intended) is the healthy cinnamon glaze on top. I used the same cinnamon bun glaze from this recipe and made it slightly thicker which oozed into the oatmeal and was the icing (pun intended, again) on the…oatmeal.
While this oatmeal is naturally gluten free, dairy free and vegan, it’s also low in sugar. I also trialled this with a granulated stevia blend which turned out delicious so you also have a completely sugar free option too. Bonus- For all you protein lovers out there, check out the protein packed option AND the protein packed glaze too!
Dear Voice of reason in my head.
Check-bloody-mate. Without those antics, this recipe wouldn’t have been created.
Love and salt in your wounds,
Now excuse me as I dig into this sticky cinnamon roll batter oatmeal…in a spiteful manner.
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 T granulated sweetener of choice (I used both coconut palm sugar and a stevia blend)
- 1 cup dairy free milk of choice
- 1 large egg white (use 1 flax egg if vegan)
- 1 T coconut flour
- Extra cinnamon, for dusting
- 1 T coconut butter, melted
- 1 T vanilla protein powder
- Milk to thin out
- cinnamon for dusting
- 3 T vanilla protein powder
- Milk to thin out
- Cinnamon for dusting
- In a saucepan or microwave safe bowl, combine the rolled oats, sea salt, cinnamon, sweetener of choice and milk of choice and simmer on medium until most of the liquid is absorbed. Once thick, add the large egg white (or flax egg) and mix very well until fully mixed in. Add the coconut flour and continue stirring until a very thick batter is formed. Add extra dairy free milk to desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Top with cinnamon roll glaze.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and slowly add the dairy free milk until desired consistency is reached.
- If batter is too thick, add extra dairy free milk to desired consistency. I like it to be really batter like so tend to add around an extra 1/4 cup.
- This can be batch made the night before and eaten hot/cold.
- This can also be frozen- Simply thaw out and and reheat.
- For even more protein, add an extra scoop of protein powder but add extra dairy free milk to compensate.
Cinnamon Roll Waffles (Paleo, Vegan, Gluten Free)
Easy Cinnamon Bun Popcorn (Vegan, Gluten Free)
Cinnamon Bun Pancakes (Vegan, Gluten Free, High Protein)
Are you a fan of raw ‘non cookie’ doughs?
What’s the most ‘interesting’ food item you’ve seen lately?