These air fryer chicken strips are truly crispy on the outside and moist and juicy in the middle! They come together in minutes and need just five main ingredients.
If you love crispy chicken without all the excess calories, these air fryer chicken strips are your answer.
Similar to our air fryer chicken tenderloins, they involve chicken breast strips but this time, have a golden brown and crispy breading.
Why this recipe works
- Ready in 10 minutes. Thanks to the air fryer, this recipe comes in no time.
- Golden and crispy. A secret ingredient guarantees the ultimate crunch factor while keeping the middle super juicy and moist.
- Healthy. Traditional fried chicken strips are packed with calories and fat but this version has a fraction of both of them.
What I love about this recipe is just how kid-friendly it is! We love to pair these with some air fryer sweet potato fries and the kiddos think they are eating fast food, but healthier!
This recipe calls for very simple ingredients that you likely already have on hand. Here is what you’ll need:
- Chicken breast. Choose thicker cuts of meat so you can easily cut them into strips.
- Eggs. Whisked.
- Flour. I used half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour, but one or the other works.
- Panko bread crumbs. For that extra crispy exterior.
- Dehydrated garlic. Optional, but dried garlic pieces add a fabulous layer of flavor to the breading.
- Salt and pepper.
- Butter. To brush on the outside for maximum crunch.
How to make cook chicken strips in the air fryer
Besides a quick preparation of the chicken, there isn’t much hands-on time as the air fryer takes care of all the hard work! Ready to cook some chicken strips?
Step 1- Prep the chicken
Start by slicing the chicken breasts into strips of around 2 inches in thickness.
Next, add the beaten egg, flour, and panko bread crumbs to three bowls. In the bowl with the panko, add the Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper.
Now, moving quickly, dip a chicken strip in the flour, then the egg, and then the panko mixture. Shake off any excess crumbs and place the chicken strips on a lined plate.
Step 2- Air fry the chicken strips
Add a single layer of chicken strips to a greased air fryer basket and brush with the melted butter. Air fry at 200C/400F for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Cut your chicken into thicker strips so the chicken will always remain juicy and moist in the middle.
- If needed, cook the chicken strips in batches to avoid overcrowding the air fryer. Cooking them in batches guarantees the chicken is crispy and completely cooked.
- Feel free to change up the spice mix for the breading. Cajun seasoning and celery salt are both fantastic options.
Dietary swaps and substitutions
The beauty of this recipe is just how easy it is to customize to fit your dietary preferences. Here is what we’ve tried:
- Make them gluten-free. Use gluten-free flour and gluten-free panko bread crumbs.
- Cut the carbs. Swap out the bread crumbs for keto bread crumbs.
- Omit the breading. Simply season the chicken strips with salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings instead.
- Use other cuts of chicken. Cut strips from chicken thighs for even juicier and moist chicken.
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooked breast strips in a shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either reheat back in the air fryer or a preheated oven. Avoid reheating in the microwave as the chicken will lose its crispiness.
More air fryer chicken recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
The ideal cooking time for breaded chicken strips is around 12 minutes. If your chicken strips are on the smaller side, check on them around the 10-minute mark, and if the internal temperature is at least 165F, the chicken is cooked.
As Tyson chicken strips are already partially cooked, the cooking time is around 9 minutes. If they are cooked from frozen, you will need to cook them for closer to 15 minutes.
Air Fryer Chicken Strips
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast skinless and boneless
- 2 cups all purpose flour I used half whole wheat
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated garlic optional
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- Preheat the air fryer to 200C/400F.
- Pat dry the chicken breast and slice them into 2-inch strips.
- In one bowl, add the flour, in another bowl, add the eggs, and in the third bowl, add the panko bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Moving quickly, dip the chicken in the flour, then the egg mix, then the panko mix. Shake off any excess.
- Add the chicken strips to the greased air fryer basket. Brush the exterior of the chicken with some butter and air fry for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the air fryer and serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.