Learn how to make perfect air fryer French toast using simple ingredients. Crisp on the outside, and moist in the middle, this is a game-changing recipe!
Air fryers are NOT reserved for evening meals.
Can you air fry French toast?
Air frying French toast is one of the easiest, fastest, and most delicious ways to cook this breakfast favorite.
It tastes exactly the same as though it were cooked in a pan, but better and faster. It’s also:
- Quick and easy. With easy-to-follow instructions, you can prepare it in less than 10 minutes.
- Simple ingredients. Just your stock standard French toast staples.
- Healthy. With a fraction of the oil needed to whip this up, this makes a fabulously healthy and wholesome breakfast.
What I love about this recipe is just how much it tastes like traditional French toast, minus all the hassle of keeping an eye on it as it fries up!
Besides bread, milk, and eggs, there isn’t much else that goes into this recipe. Here is what you’ll need:
- Bread. Use thick slices of bread to hold onto plenty of milk and eggs.
- Eggs. Room temperature.
- Milk. I used whole milk but any milk works.
- Sugar. Adjust according to your sweetness preferences.
- Vanilla extract. A must for any good French toast.
- Cinnamon. As per your taste.
How to cook French toast in the air fryer?
Once you soak the bread in the egg custard, the air fryer takes care of all the hard work and soon enough, you’ll have some fluffy, crispy, and delicious French toast.
Step 1: Make the custard
Start by mixing the eggs, vanilla extract, and sugar in a bowl.
Step 2: Dip the bread in the mixture
Dip bread slices, one by one, in the egg mixture and soak each side for 10 seconds.
Step 3: Cook French toast in the air fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 180C/350F and grease the air fryer basket. Place slices of the soaked bread into the basket. Cook for 5-7 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Finally, remove the cooked French toast and add powdered sugar, berries, and maple syrup on top before serving.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Don’t oversoak the bread in the egg mixture because it will start falling apart while cooking.
- If you use thinner slices of bread, insert a toothpick to hold everything in place then discard it when you are ready to eat it.
- For even crispier French toast, spray some oil on the exterior of the bread and sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top.
To store: Put the leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
To freeze: You can keep the leftovers in the freezer for up to 2 months by putting them in freezer-safe bags or containers.
Reheating: Place slices of the French toast in a toaster or toaster oven and heat up until warm.
More air fryer breakfast recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can use low carb bread for this recipe. It will make this dish keto friendly.
As French toast sticks are thinner than a whole slice of bread, the cooking time is halved. Check on them around the 3-minute mark.
If you use gluten-free bread, this recipe will be suitable for celiacs.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Air Fryer French Toast recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Air Fryer French Toast
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and sugar.
- Add the bread slices, one at a time, and soak for 10 seconds, flip, and soak for another 10 seconds.
- Grease an air fryer basket and place the french toast in one slice at a time, air fry at 180C/350F for 5-7 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Repeat the process until all the bread is cooked.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.