Learn how to make perfect air fryer French toast using simple ingredients. Crisp on the outside, and moist in the middle, this is a game-changing recipe!
Air fryers are NOT reserved for evening meals.
We literally cook anything and everything in them, including breakfast favorites like air fryer grilled cheese, air fryer donuts, and even air fryer cinnamon rolls. Adding French toast to the mix was a no-brainer!
This air fryer French toast recipe is one of the easiest, fastest, and most delicious ways to cook this breakfast favorite. I no longer can give my family my usual excuses for not making it because it’s so dang fast and hands-off!
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- Quick and easy. This entire breakfast comes together in less than 10 minutes, including prep time!
- Simple ingredients. Your usual French toast suspects and nothing more!
- Healthier. Whenever I cook this in a skillet or pan, I add extra butter or oil to ensure it doesn’t stick. Not with the air fryer, though! A simple spritz of cooking spray is all that is needed.
As mentioned earlier, cooking French toast in the air fryer requires your standard basics you use in the stovetop version. Here is what you’ll need:
- Bread. I prefer using thicker slices of fresh bread because they hold onto the custard filling much better than thinner slices. Texas toast or brioche bread are both fabulous options. If I ever have sourdough bread, I often use that too (similar to our sourdough French toast!).
- Eggs. Room temperature and large ones.
- Milk. I typically use whole milk but almond milk, oat milk, or non-dairy options all work.
- Sugar. Because I serve this with powdered sugar, fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries), and maple syrup, I don’t add much sugar to the batter. If you prefer overly sweet French toast, adjust accordingly.
- Vanilla extract. A must for any good French toast and adds some lovely flavor.
- Cinnamon. The non-negotiable spice.
How to make air fryer French toast
Prep the air fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 180C/350F and grease the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
Make the custard: Start by mixing the eggs, vanilla extract, and sugar in a shallow bowl.
Dip the bread in the mixture: Dip each slice of bread in the custard mixture and soak each side for 10 seconds.
Air fry the French toast: Place slices of the soaked bread into the basket. Cook for 5-7 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Serve: Finally, remove the cooked French toast and add powdered sugar, berries, and maple syrup on top before serving.
Can I make french toast sticks?
Easily make air fryer French toast sticks by slicing your bread into thick strips before dipping them in the custard mixture.
To make French toast sticks in the air fryer, simply reduce the air frying time by 2 minutes to compensate for the smaller area surface.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Don’t oversoak the bread in the egg mixture because it will start falling apart while cooking.
- If you use thinner slices of bread, insert a toothpick to hold everything in place, then discard it when you are ready to eat it.
- For even crispier French toast, spray some oil on the bread’s exterior and sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top.
- If I’m making a big batch for breakfast, I like to cook the French toast in batches to ensure they all cook evenly and completely.
- Make an air fryer French toast casserole by baking everything in a dish instead of individual slices. If you do choose to do this, I recommend using stale bread or challah bread, as they both soak up more of the custard, which is key for a casserole.
To store: Put the leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
To freeze: You can keep the leftovers in the freezer for up to 2 months by putting them in freezer-safe bags or containers.
Reheating: Place slices of the French toast in a toaster or toaster oven and heat up until warm.
More easy air fryer recipes for breakfast
Frequently asked questions
If you use gluten-free bread, this recipe will be suitable for celiacs.
Yes! If you have pre-made frozen French toast, simply add it to the air fryer basket and increase the cooking time by 3 minutes. I also like to line the base with parchment paper to avoid excess moisture building up.
Air Fryer French Toast
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, and sugar.
- Add the bread slices, one at a time, and soak for 10 seconds, flip, and soak for another 10 seconds.
- Grease an air fryer basket and place the french toast in one slice at a time, air fry at 180C/350F for 5-7 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Repeat the process until all the bread is cooked.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.