Make the best air fryer cinnamon rolls from scratch in just 8 minutes- No yeast needed, they are soft, fluffy, and loaded with a cream cheese frosting!
Can you ever have too many cinnamon rolls? I think not.
If I could award myself for how many unique ways to eat cinnamon rolls, I would. We’ve had a cinnamon roll for one, keto cinnamon rolls, and magic 2 ingredient dough ones. Now, we’ve adapted a bit of each one and made them in no time, thanks to the air fryer!
Why you’ll love to air fry cinnamon rolls
- No yeast needed. The dough is adapted from my magic 2 ingredient dough. What I love about it is that it has no yeast in it.
- Ready in just 8 minutes. Traditional cinnamon rolls usually take at least an hour to make. These ones take less than time than making a sandwich.
- Fluffy and sweet. While the exterior is tender and firm, the filling is smooth, fluffy, and the frosting is thick and luscious.
- Healthier and higher in protein.
What you’ll need to make this recipe
For the dough.
- Self rising flour– A mix of flour, baking powder, and salt. You can find it in the baking aisle of the grocery store or easily make your own.
- Vanilla yogurt– Any thick vanilla yogurt works, including Greek, coconut, or dairy free options.
For the filling.
- Butter– vegan or standard butter, melted.
- Brown sugar– Dark brown sugar is preferred, for its richer flavor.
- Cinnamon– What is a cinnamon roll without cinnamon?
For the cream cheese frosting.
- Cream cheese– softened to room temperature.
- Butter– Measured in its softened state.
- Powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar)– Sifted well, to ensure the frosting isn’t clumpy!
How to make cinnamon rolls in the air fryer
Start by mixing the flour and vanilla yogurt until a thick dough remains. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times until a smooth dough remains.
Next, roll the dough out into a large, rectangle shape. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon until combined. Using a spoon or spatula, spread the mixture on the dough, reserving 1/4 of an inch around the sides.
Now, beginning at the long end, tightly roll up the dough into a log shape. Using a sharp knife, slice the log into 8-9 equal pieces.
Finally, place the cinnamon rolls in an air fryer basket and air fry for 7-8 minutes, or until the dough is fully cooked. Remove them from the basket and place them on a plate or tray to cool down. Once cool, frost the tops of them and enjoy.
To make the frosting, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Slowly add in the powdered sugar until combined.
Can I use a pre-made dough?
Many similar recipes call for Pilsbury cinnamon roll dough, which can be made up in the air fryer too. If this is easier for you, this is how you’ll air fry them-
- Slice the cinnamon rolls into eight portions.
- Spray the air fryer basket and add them in there and air fry for 6-7 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer basket and spread the icing on top.
How long to air fry cinnamon rolls
There is not too much of a cooking time difference between cinnamon rolls from scratch and packaged cinnamon rolls. Here are the differences-
- Homemade cinnamon rolls– 7-8 minutes is the ideal time, depending on how big the rolls are. The rolls are done when they are slightly golden brown around the edges.
- Pillsbury Grands cinnamon rolls (or similar)– Pre-packaged cinnamon rolls typically need 6-7 minutes, but check up on them around the 5 minute mark, as they should brown around then.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions
- To store: Leftover air fried cinnamon rolls can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to three days.
- To freeze: Place the rolls in an airtight container and store them in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating: Microwave the rolls for 20 seconds or reheat in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes.
More air fryer desserts to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Using the air fryer to make cinnamon rolls significantly reduces the cooking time, which is ideal if you’d like to have them as quick and easy breakfast.
While unnecessary, I recommend lining the base of the air fryer basket with parchment paper to avoid excess crumbs or bits of batter seeping through. It also prevents it from sticking to the bottom of them.
Cinnamon rolls from scratch have just 113 calories each, without frosting. Whereas the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls have 150 calories each.
Air Fryer Cinnamon Rolls (2 Ingredients!)
For the dough
- 1 3/4 cups self rising flour
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt Greek, coconut, or soy
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour and yogurt and mix well, until combined. If the dough is too thick, add more yogurt. If the dough is too thin, add more flour.
- Lightly flour a kitchen surface and transfer the dough on top. Gently knead it several times, before rolling out into a large rectangular shape, around 1/2 an inch in thickness.
- In a small bowl, add the melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Using a spatula, spread the cinnamon mixture on top, reserving half an inch around the sides.
- Beginning at the long end of the dough, tightly roll up the dough into a log. Use a sharp knife to slice the log into eight portions.
- Place 3 or 4 of the cinnamon rolls into an air fryer basket lined with parchment paper. Air fry at 180C/350F for 7-8 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden brown.
- Remove the cinnamon rolls from the air fryer basket. Add remaining cinnamon rolls and repeat the process until they are all air fried.
- Let the cinnamon rolls cool slightly, before adding the frosting. To make the frosting, add the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl. Beat together until combined. Add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.