These air fryer brownies are the ultimate chocolate fix that takes just 4 minutes to make! No butter, no milk, and no eggs needed, they are super gooey and fudgy!
There’s nothing better than using my air fryer for baking hacks.
While there are plenty of savory recipes you can use it for (I love it for some buffalo cauliflower), there are also those of the sweet variety too.
Can you air fry brownies?
As the name suggests, air frying brownies are the new quick and easy way to make fudgy brownies. Although they don’t turn out exactly like something you’d get if made from a box, they are pretty darn close.
Why you will love these air fryer brownies recipe–
- They take just 6 minutes to make. Outside of a chocolate mug cake, you won’t find a quicker chocolate fix than this.
- There is no butter, no milk, no eggs needed. So pretty much, these brownies use easy pantry staple ingredients.
- It’s the perfect small batch dessert. This recipe makes just 2 large or 4 small brownies. The temptation to eat the whole batch is gone!
What I love about this recipe is that these brownies are made from scratch and you can enjoy them straight from the air fryer- No cooling down required! Top it with some ice cream for the ultimate dessert!
How to air fry brownies
- Flour– All purpose flour or plain flour. Be sure to sift the flour very well, to ensure there are no clumps throughout.
- Sugar– White sugar is preferred, but brown or coconut sugar work.
- Cocoa powder– Like the flour, be sure to sift it very well to ensure there aren’t any clumps throughout.
- Salt– A pinch to bring out the chocolate flavor and natural sweetness.
- Oil– Any neutral flavored oil.
- Unsweetened applesauce– Cuts down on the fat while keeping the brownies extra fudgy.
- Water OR milk– These brownies work fine with just water, but feel free to use your favorite milk (almond, soy, coconut, whole, etc).
- Vanilla extract– A must for any good brownie.
- Chocolate chips– To ensure there are pools of chocolate in every bite.
Start by whisking together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a small bowl. Add the oil, water, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth and thick. Fold through the chocolate chips.
Next, transfer the batter into two four small oven-safe ramekins and top with extra chocolate chips. Transfer the ramekins into an air fryer basket. Air fry the brownies for 4-5 minutes, or until the top of the brownies are firm.
Remove the brownies from the air fryer basket and let sit for a minute before enjoying.
Can I make these as standard brownies?
If you’d like to make batch brownies (instead of something similar to a mug cake) you can easily do that, but make the following changes-
- Use a 6-inch round pan instead of ramekins.
- Increase the air frying time to 10 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool completely, before slicing and serving.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Do not let the brownies cool in the air fryer basket, as they will become quite overcooked at the base.
- This recipe makes four small, individual brownies. If you’d like larger brownies, use two large ramekins instead.
- For a richer chocolate flavor, use dark cocoa powder.
Dietary swaps and substitutions
- Make it gluten free. Use a gluten free flour blend instead of all purpose flour. Be sure that the flour you use has xanthan gum added to it.
- Cut the sugar. Make this a sugar free brownie by using a brown sugar substitute or powdered sugar substitute instead of the white sugar.
- Add some mix-ins. Fold through some fresh berries (like raspberries), walnuts, or milk/white chocolate.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be kept at room temperature, covered, for up to three days. If you’d like them to keep longer, you can store them in refrigerator.
- To freeze: Remove the brownies from the pan or ramekin and place them in a ziplock bag. Store them in the freezer for up to two months.
More brownie recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe has no eggs or dairy in them, so is fine for vegans to enjoy.
As the brownies are in ramekins/a baking dish, the base of the air fryer basket does not need to be lined.
Air Fryer Brownies (No eggs, no milk, no butter!)
- Preheat the air fryer to 180C/350F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the wet ingredients and mix until a thick brownie batter remains. Fold through the chocolate chips.
- Grease 4 small oven-safe ramekins. Evenly distribute the brownie batter amongst them all. Place the ramekins in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the brownies for 4-5 minutes, or until the top of the brownies are mostly set.
- Remove the brownies from the air fryer and remove them from the air fryer basket. Let them cool slightly, before enjoying.