This microwave brownie will be your go-to brownie whenever the chocolate cravings strike! No dairy, no eggs, and no leavening agents needed, they are ultra fudgy and gooey!
Why these microwave brownies will be your go-to chocolate dessert fix-
- Two minutes! Seriously, these brownies take a whopping 2 minutes to make! Actually, it’s more like a minute and thirty seconds, but we are being generous here.
- One bowl. No dirty dishes after you whip these up, just the bowl you microwave them in!
- No eggs or dairy. Unlike traditional brownies, these don’t need any eggs or dairy in them.
- Small batch. You won’t be tempted with a plate of brownies staring at you, as these make eight brownies.
Can you make brownies in the microwave?
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN whip up a batch of brownies in the microwave. I’m not talking about a brownie mug cake or protein brownie in a mug– These are real deal fudgy brownies that are NOT single serving.
This microwave brownie recipe is just like any good brownie out there. A gooey and fudgy texture, and loaded with plenty of chocolate. The only difference between the two is these ones are made in the microwave AND take less than two minutes to make.
Now, I know some people aren’t a fan of using a microwave, so feel free to bake these instead- They still make delicious small-batch brownies! No more excuses of time to satisfying your chocolate fix- Set two minutes aside and make these delicious brownies!
How to make microwave brownies?
- Chocolate– Any vegan dark chocolate can be used, providing it has a cocoa content of at least 45%. I prefer using Lindt 70% dark chocolate.
- Vegan butter– While traditional butter works, I kept these brownies vegan by using a dairy free butter.
- Superfine sugar– Also known as caster sugar. It’s has a finer consistency than white sugar but not as light as powdered sugar.
- Milk of choice– I used unsweetened almond milk, but any milk of choice can be used. Your milk will need to be warm, so microwave it for 30-seconds before using.
- Flour– All purpose/plain flour. As these brownies take less than two minutes to come together, you need to ensure your flour is heat treated. If you’d like these brownies to be gluten free, use a gluten free all purpose flour blend that has added xanthan gum.
Start by microwaving your butter and chocolate together, until melted. Add in the superfine sugar and whisk together, until combined. Add the warm milk and flour and mix until combined. Fold through extra chocolate then transfer to a microwave-safe dish. Microwave the brownies for 1 1/2 minutes, until the tops are slightly firm. Remove the brownies from the microwave and let them cool in the dish completely, before slicing and serving.
How do you heat treat flour?
The flour used in these brownies is best to be heat treated first. This just alleviates any fears of uncooked flour in the recipe.
To heat treat flour, spread the flour on a lined baking sheet and bake in the oven at 180C/350F for 5 minutes. Remove the flour from the oven and let it cool completely, before using it.
Can I make these in the oven?
Yes, even though these are microwave brownies, feel free to bake them in the oven instead. Simply pour the batter into an oven-safe dish and bake for 18-20 minutes at 180C/350F, until a skewer comes out mostly clean.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Microwave makes and models vary. If your microwave has a lower wattage, your brownies may take up to 3 minutes to cook.
- For ultra gooey, pudding-like brownies, you can remove them from the microwave around the one minute mark. As the flour is heat treated and there are no eggs, there is no risk of salmonella. I love making them extra gooey and serving them with a scoop of ice cream.
- Feel free to fold through some chopped nuts or extra chocolate chips.
Storing and freezing microwave brownies
- To store: Cover the dish and store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More brownie recipes to try
- 3 Ingredient brownies
- Flourless brownies
- Peanut butter brownies
- Almond flour brownies
- Coconut flour brownies
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter I used vegan butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chopped and divided * See notes
- 3 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk of choice warm
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour heat treated ** See notes
- Line a 4 x 7-inch microwave safe dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the melted butter and half the chocolate and microwave until melted. Whisk in the superfine sugar until combined. Add the warm milk and flour and whisk together until smooth. Fold through the remaining chocolate.
- Transfer the brownie batter into the microwave safe dish and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, until the tops are mostly cooked.
- Remove the brownies from the microwave and let them cool completely, before slicing and serving.