These air fryer fried pickles are perfectly crispy, seasoned, and highly addictive. Ready in less than 5 minutes, they are a great addition to any meal!
Fun appetizers made in the air fryer? Count me in.
Why this recipe works
- Easy to make. In less than 5 minutes, you’ll have a big bowl of fried pickles ready to dip in your favorite condiments.
- Full of flavors. The seasonings added to the batter take it to another level!
- Healthy. Deep-fried pickles are packed with calories and fat but the air-fried version has a fraction of it.
Can we lament about how perfect the texture is? Extra crispy on the outside and super juicy in the middle. These never last long!
Similar to fried pickles, the air-fried version uses all the same ingredients but without the oil. Here is what you need:
- Dill pickles. Use large whole pickles.
- Flour. Whole grain or regular flour.
For the batter
- Egg. Room temperature.
- Mustard. I used yellow mustard but any mild-flavored mustard works.
- Mayonnaise. The secret ingredient that gives the batter an extra crispy and flavorful texture.
- Water. As needed.
- Flour. To thicken the batter.
For the dry mix
- Bread crumbs.
- Panko bread crumbs.
- Smoked paprika.
How to make air fryer pickles
This recipe is very quick to make and like any air fryer recipe, this magic gadget takes care of all the hard work! Ready to fry some pickles?
Step 1: Prep the air fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 200C or 400F. Meanwhile, cut the pickles in ½ inch slices and toss them in the flour.
Step 2: Prepare batter and dry mix
In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, egg, and water and mix well. Fold this mixture in the flour and continue mixing until a smooth pancake-like batter forms.
Take another bowl and mix together the dry ingredients.
Step 3: Coat the pickles with batter and dry mix
First, dip the pickles in the batter and then coat them with the dry mix. Put the battered pickles on the plate lined with parchment paper.
Step 4: Cook the pickles in the air fryer
Grease an air fryer basket generously. Place the pickles in the air fryer basket in a single layer, and air fry them for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
Can I use frozen pickles?
Yes, you can use frozen pickles for air frying. To cook them in a short time, thaw them before adding them to the air fryer for cooking. Do not air fry frozen solid pickles as the batter will slip off.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Cut the pickles into large slices to stick more batter and dry mix to each slice which will add more flavor.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket with pickles, as they can get soggy this way.
- Ensure the pickles are as dry as possible before adding any batter. This will help the batter and seasonings hold onto them much easier.
To store. Place leftovers in a shallow container and store them in the refrigerator for up to three days.
To freeze. Place the cooled air fried pickles in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to two months.
Reheating. These pickles are supposed to be crispy, so do not reheat them in the microwave. Instead, use a preheated oven or back in the air fryer.
More air fryer recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Frozen dill pickles will need more time to cook, so air fry them for about 10-12 minutes. You can reduce the cooking time by thawing them.
These air-fried pickles have lower calories and fats than traditional fried pickles, hence healthier.
There are around 24 calories in an air fryer fried pickle.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Air Fryer Pickles recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Air Fryer Pickles
- 4 large dill pickles
- 1/4 cup flour
For the dry mix
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the air fryer to 200C/400F.
- Slice the pickles in ½ inch slices and toss them in the flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, mustard, mayonnaise, and water. Slowly fold in the flour, until a smooth pancake-like batter remains. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry mix.
- Dip the pickles in the first batter, then the dry mix. Place the battered pickles on a plate lined with parchment paper.
- Generously grease an air fryer basket. Place the pickles in a single layer and air fry for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove them from the air fryer and repeat the process until all the pickles are air fried.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.