Marshmallow cookies are soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies loaded with gooey marshmallows! Secretly vegan and dairy free, these chocolate chip marshmallow cookies are quick and easy to make.
Every year, I’m the cliche foodie that gives batches of cookies to all my friends. These marshmallow cookies are one of my favorites to make, as they are like an edible present. These cookies have a marshmallow filling and with plenty of chocolate chips.
Made without eggs or dairy, these cookies just happen to be vegan and gluten free, thanks to my favorite gelatin free marshmallows! In fact, if you love S’mores, these are pretty much S’mores in cookie form!
How do you make marshmallow cookies
- White sugar and brown sugar– The combination gives the cookies the crispy edges while keeping the centers soft and gooey.
- Coconut oil– Gives the cookies a buttery texture, without the need for any butter. Use refined coconut oil, for no coconut flavor at all.
- Milk of choice– Any vegan milk can be used. I used unsweetened almond milk.
- Vanilla extract– A must for any good cookie recipe!
- All purpose flour– White plain flour is best, but you can also use white wholewheat flour. If you’d like these to be gluten free, use gluten free flour.
- Baking soda and baking powder- Gives the cookies some rise and depth.
- Salt– Brings out the sweetness of the cookies.
- Chocolate Chips– Use a mix of mini chocolate chips and standard chocolate chips to ensure there are mouthfuls of chocolate chips in every bite. Again, be sure the chocolate used is vegan if needed.
- Marshmallows– I used vegan and gluten free mini marshmallows. If you don’t follow any specific diet, use your favorite marshmallows, chopped.
Start by preparing your cookie dough, by creaming together your sugars and coconut oil, until smooth. Whisk through your milk and vanilla extract. Gently add your flour, baking powder and soda, and salt, and mix until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold through your chocolate chips. Form 12 balls of cookie dough. Press down into the center of each ball and fill with 2-3 mini marshmallows. Place the cookies on a cookie sheet or baking sheet and bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes at 180C/350F, until the edges just begin to brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips for Marshmallow Cookies
- Do not overbake the cookies, as they continue to cook as they are cooling down. They also have marshmallows in the center, which can be prone to bursting if overcooked.
- If you prefer thicker cookies, chill the dough for 30 minutes before adding the marshmallow centers.
- Do not overstuff your cookies, otherwise, the burst marshmallows will seep out. Be sure they are completely covered in cookie dough.
- Reserve some marshmallows and chocolate chips to top the cookies with, for aesthetic purposes.
Marshmallow Cookies Storage Tips
- To store: Keep cookies in a sealable container at room temperature, for up to 2 weeks. They will keep longer if you refrigerate them.
- To freeze: Place cookies in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More Vegan Cookies to try
- Monster Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Flourless Cookies
- Blueberry Cookies
Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies (Vegan!)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil softened (not melted) * See notes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour gluten free, if necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips of choice
- 1 cup mini marshmallows I used gelatin free marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a cookie sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, add your white sugar, brown sugar, and softened coconut oil and whisk together, until creamy and glossy. Add in your milk and vanilla extract, and mix until combined.
- Add in your flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and gently fold into the mixture, until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold through your chocolate chips.
- Form 12 balls of cookie dough. Press down into the center of each ball and place 2-3 mini marshmallows in there, and cover completely with the dough. Place the marshmallow stuffed cookies onto the lined sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges have just begun to go golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on the sheet for 10 minutes, before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.