These cottage cheese pancakes are thick, fluffy, and super soft in the middle. Made with just 6 ingredients, they come together in minutes!
Pancakes for breakfast are pretty standard around here.
Contrary to popular belief, there are tons of ways to make pancakes healthier, too. We regularly make healthy oatmeal pancakes, almond flour pancakes, and when we want a bigger protein boost, we love to make pancakes with cottage cheese.
Why this recipe works
- 6 ingredients. Cottage cheese, flour, eggs, and sugar, with a few leavening agents for good measure.
- Packed with protein. Unlike regular pancakes, cottage cheese pancakes are a good source of protein. A cup of cottage cheese has around 28 grams of protein.
- Savory or sweet. Serve these cottage cheese pancakes with fruits, whipped cream, and maple syrup. Or make them savory by leaving out the sugar and adding herbs and spices instead. Savory pancakes are great with some over-easy eggs and turkey bacon.
What I love about this pancake recipe is just how satisfying they are. Rich in protein, these pancakes will keep you going until it’s lunchtime.
This recipe is very simple and besides cottage cheese and some baking staples, there isn’t much else that goes into them. Here is what you’ll need:
- Cottage cheese. You can use any cottage cheese you like. From low-fat to full-fat, any kind works. I recommend you use small curd cottage cheese for the batter as it doesn’t leave any clumps and melts easily into it.
- Eggs. Use room-temperature eggs in the batter to make sure the pancakes rise properly.
- Sugar. Granulated sugar to sweeten them. You can adjust the amount of sugar depending on how sweet you like your pancakes or use maple syrup instead.
- Flour. All-purpose flour or wholewheat flour both work.
- Baking powder. To create bubbles in the batter and make the cottage cheese pancakes light and airy.
- Butter or oil. To cook the pancakes. Anything from ghee butter to avocado oil will work.
- Salt. A pinch of salt enhances all flavors and balances them out.
How to make cottage cheese pancakes
These pancakes follow a simple 2-step process that comes together in under 5 minutes!
Step 1- Make the batter
Crack the eggs into a blender. Add the cottage cheese and blend until smooth. Add the sugar, baking powder, flour, and salt, and blend once again until smooth.
Step 2 – Cook the pancakes
Heat oil or butter in a non-stick pan. Once hot, add ¼ cup portions of the batter and cover the pan with the lid. Cook for 2-3 minutes and flip. Cook the pancakes for another 2 minutes until golden and remove them from the heat. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Hand mix the batter if you don’t mind having pockets of creamy cottage cheese in your pancakes.
- Add a splash of vanilla extract to the batter to make these cottage cheese pancakes taste like French toast.
- Use whole wheat flour to make these pancakes even healthier. You can also use oat flour and almond flour to make them.
- Always cover the pan when cooking the pancakes as they trap the heat inside and in turn, yield extra thick pancakes.
To store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container and eat them within 3 days.
To freeze: Freeze these pancakes in an airtight container or bag. Put sheets of parchment paper in between the pancakes to prevent them from sticking to each other. Cottage cheese pancakes last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Reheating: Either microwave them for 20-30 seconds or reheat them in a non-stick pan until crispy.
More pancake recipes to try
- Oat flour pancakes
- Pumpkin protein pancakes
- Red velvet pancakes
- Coconut flour pancakes
- Keto pancakes
Frequently asked questions
Compared to diner-style or flour-based pancakes, these ones are the healthy choice. They are naturally higher in protein, which keeps you fuller for longer. If you use whole wheat flour, it also adds fiber.
If you use a gluten-free flour blend, these pancakes are suitable for those who are celiac or follow a gluten-free diet.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Cottage Cheese Pancakes recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Cottage Cheese Pancakes | Thick, Fluffy, And 6 Ingredients
- 1 1/2 lbs cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a blender, combine your cottage cheese and eggs and blend until a smooth batter remains. Add the sugar, baking powder, flour, and salt and blend once more, until smooth.
- Add oil to a non-stick pan. Once hot, add 1/4 cup portions of the pancake batter and cover the pan immediately. Let the pancakes cook for 2-3 minutes, before flipping and cooking for another two minutes.
- Once the pancakes are cooked, remove them from the heat and repeat the process until all the batter is used up.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Can I substitute Greek yogurt for the cottage cheese?
You are welcome to experiment and see!
Have you ever tried baking this in the oven? I’d love to try it but am unsure of pan size and oven temp!
You can experiment and see!