For all those times you have leftover browned bananas on your counter, put them to use and make this healthy cranberry chocolate chip bread! This cranberry bread is incredibly tender and moist, thanks to the almond flour! It’s also made without eggs, perfect for those following a vegan diet! Whether you follow a diet or not, you will LOVE this grain-free quick bread!
This banana bread with dried cranberries and chocolate chips is the perfect breakfast, snack or healthy dessert. It is naturally sweetened with the banana, with hints of cinnamon, the tang of cranberries and lots of chocolate! It’s light, filling and moist, without being dense.
This cranberry chocolate chip bread is secretly healthy too! It’s made with almond flour, making it completely paleo and gluten free. It’s also made without eggs or dairy, so my vegan friends are OBSESSED with it!
When it comes to quick sweet bread recipes, you know I’m a fan. We’ve had the coconut chocolate chip bread, cinnamon streusel bread, and the OG best healthy banana bread. I have no doubt that this chocolate chip cranberry bread will be a new favorite!
How to make cranberry chocolate chip bread
Making this cranberry chocolate chip bread is ridiculously easy, and uses healthy, wholesome ingredients
- Almond flour. Almond flour ensures the recipe is grain-free and paleo-friendly. You can use either blanched almond flour or almond meal.
- Granulated sweetener of choice. Keep this quick bread 100% sugar-free, by using a sugar-free granulated sweetener. I used Swerve, but other sweeteners will work just as well.
- Baking powder. Needed for the bread to remain intact!
- Cinnamon. Adds a delicious, warming flavor with every bite!
- Salt. Brings out the natural sweetness of the banana.
- Overripe bananas. The riper the bananas, the sweeter the bread. I prefer to use bananas that are just ripe- sometimes bananas that are too brown tend to keep the banana bread a little too moist.
- Flax eggs. A fantastic vegan egg replacement. Two flax eggs are needed, which requires two tablespoons of ground flaxseed, mixed with 5 tablespoons of water.
- Coconut oil. I used melted unrefined coconut oil.
- Vanilla extract. A necessity for every delicious banana bread out there!
- Dried Cranberries. Unsweetened dried cranberries are best, as they have a natural tang and sweetness. Avoid varieties with added sugar.
- Chocolate Chips. Use a mix of chocolate chips and chocolate morsels for pools of delicious chocolate throughout!
You don’t need any fancy gadgets or kitchen tools to make this delicious cranberry chocolate chip bread!
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare your flax eggs by combining 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 5 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 10 minutes to form a gel.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine your mashed banana, flax eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla extract and mix well. Combine your wet and dry ingredients. Fold through your cranberries and chocolate chips, reserving a few to top the bread with.
- Transfer the batter to the lined pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out just clean from the center. Allow cooling in the pan completely before removing from the pan and slicing into pieces.
Cranberry Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Tips and Variations
- Do not overbake the sweet bread- The sweet bread continues to cook as it is cooling, as soon as a skewer comes out clean, it will be done.
- If you use a super overripe banana, the bread will be slightly more moist in the center- This is fine if you prefer a super moist bread, but it will not be overly sturdy.
- Use a mix of chocolate chips and chocolate chunks for the ultimate chocolate fix.
- If you don’t follow a strict vegan diet, swap the flax eggs for 2 large eggs.
- Banana Walnut Bread. Fold through 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts when you add the cranberries and chocolate chips.
- Cranberry Pecan Bread. Swap out the chocolate chips for equal amounts of roughly chopped pecans.
- Cranberry White Chocolate Bread. Switch out the chocolate chips or dairy-free white chocolate chips. Or, use a mix of both!
- Raisin Walnut Banana Bread. Swap out the cranberries for raisins and the chocolate chips for walnuts.
Storing and reheating cranberry chocolate bread
To store. Store cranberry chocolate chip banana bread in the fridge. It is incredibly moist, so it will spoil at room temperature. Wrap the bread in plastic wrap or keep it in a sealed container. When stored in the fridge, this bread will keep for 7 days.
To freeze. This cranberry banana bread is freezer friendly and will keep well in the freezer. Wrap slices or entire loaf in parchment paper and place in a ziplock bag or shallow container. Frozen bread will keep fresh for up to 6 months.
To reheat. To reheat bread from the fridge, either heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or in a toaster oven for 3-4 minutes. To thaw bread from the freezer, allow thawing at room temperature or in the fridge overnight.
More healthy quick bread recipes
Recommended tools for making the healthy cranberry chocolate chip bread
- Loaf pan. This is my go-to loaf pan for all quick bread and banana bread recipes.
- Mixing bowls. My favorite mixing bowls for all my recipes.
- Spatula. I use this spatula to fold in mix-ins to desserts.
For all lovers of banana bread, you will LOVE this cranberry and chocolate twist on it! Moist on the inside, tender on the outside, it’s a healthy snack or dessert you will make over and over again!
Perfect with a smear of butter, peanut butter or on its own, enjoy this recipe!
Cranberry Chocolate Chip Bread
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare your flax eggs by combining 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 5 tablespoons of water. Let sit for 10 minutes to form a gel.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well. In a separate bowl, melt your coconut oil. Add your mashed bananas and flax eggs/eggs and whisk together.
- Combine wet and dry mixture and mix until fully incorporated. Fold through your dried cranberries and chocolate chips, reserving a few to top the bread with. Pour into the greased pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes (square pan tends to be around the 40-minute mark, loaf pan 45-50 minute mark!), or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Let cool in the pan completely, before removing and slicing into 12 pieces.