Chicken parmesan patties are a canned chicken breast, parmesan cheese, and baby spinach all mixed together and pan fried to perfection! Low in carbs and full of flavor, this quick and delicious recipe is the perfect use for canned chicken! 1 gram net carb per pattie.
My definition of a quick and easy dinner is one that can be whipped up in under 10 minutes, taste good, and leave me feeling satisfied after. This recipe came into play by accident.
I bought a can of what I thought was tuna, which turned out to be canned shredded chicken. I love sardines and love pretty much all tinned seafood, but chicken? Really?
After returning home from university one night, I was craving my curried tuna patties and reached for the can….of chicken.
This clearly wasn’t tuna and that is what I had set my heart on. Not one to ever waste food, I decided to adapt my curried tuna patties recipe and switch a few of the herbs, spices and added some cheese, and voila- what was a skeptical grocery item soon became my weekly staple.
These patties are so easy to make, and the chicken, once recooked, makes you forget it was earlier on, in a can. These patties are loaded with shredded vegetables which add texture and a nutritional punch. The parmesan cheese adds a golden, melted crust on the outside and a salty bite on the inside. The combination of spices is the final touch to make such a simple meal seem that much more.
Not only are these patties so easy to make, but they just happen to be keto, gluten free, and low carb, too!
How do you make chicken patties
- Canned chicken breast– Use the plain canned chicken breast, the kind that is in springwater. Using flavored canned chicken will affect the flavor and texture of the chicken patties. Be sure to drain the chicken breast completely.
- Parmesan cheese– Gives the patties a delicious punch of flavor, and pairs well with the chicken.
- Shredded zucchini– Adds a boost of veggies to the recipe, but also helps hold the patties together. Squeeze out all extra moisture.
- Baby spinach– Chopped finely, the spinach provides extra nutrients, but also a delicious flavor to the patties.
- Egg– Binds the patties together. Do not omit.
- Salt and pepper– Only a little bit, as the parmesan cheese provides plenty of saltiness already.
Start by mixing together all your ingredients, until completely combined. Heat up a frying pan with oil on medium heat. When hot, form 4-5 patties and place on the hot pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes, before carefully flipping the patties and cooking for a further 3 minutes, or until golden brown on either side. Remove from the pan and enjoy.
Can I use shredded chicken breast?
Yes, if the thought of canned chicken breast skeeves you out, you can certainly use shredded chicken breast.
For this recipe, I’d recommend half a pound (250 grams) of cooked chicken.
Can I make this in the air fryer?
If you’d like to make air fryer chicken patties, you can do so!
Simply prepare the patties as normal, but place them in the air fryer rack. Cook at 200C/400F for 12 minutes, carefully flipping halfway through.
Tips to make the best patties
- Be sure to remove as much excess liquid as possible, from both the chicken and the zucchini. These patties have no flour or grains to bind it together, instead, relying on the egg.
- Do not cook the patties on super high heat, as you risk the patties burning on the outside, but being super soft on the inside.
- If you’d prefer thicker and sturdier patties, you can add 1/4 cup coconut flour or almond flour.
- Chicken patties taste delicious hot or cold!
Storing and Freezing Patties
- To store: Leftover chicken patties can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Freeze leftovers by placing the patties in a shallow container and storing in the freezer for up to 6 months.
What to serve patties with?
- Bread– For a low carb meal, serve patties with keto bread, keto biscuits, and keto tortillas.
- Salad– Pair a few patties with some broccoli salad, couscous salad, or a crunchy noodle salad.
- Vegetables– Cauliflower mac and cheese, roasted brussels sprouts, and even some buffalo cauliflower bites
Chicken Parmesan Patties
- 2 12.5 oz cans chicken breast
- 1/2 medium zucchini grated and liquid squeezed out
- 1/2 cup baby spinach finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded chicken breast, grated zucchini, baby spinach, and parmesan cheese, and mix well. Slowly add in the egg. Form 4-5 patties.
- Coat a frying pan with oil and heat up on medium. When hot, add your chicken patties and cook for 4-5 minutes, before carefully flipping and cooking for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.