Soft, chewy and ready in 12 minutes, these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are a winner! No fancy mixers are needed- just one bowl and four ingredients.
Love chocolate and love peanut butter? I have you covered with these seriously moreish cookies!
In my opinion, there is NO combination as good as these two, as evidenced by some of our favorites on here (like no bake cookies and an actual cake!). These cookies are in their own league because of how simple and fast they are- even if you are a beginner cook, you’ll nail these from the get-go.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- Pantry staple ingredients. Made without flour, grains, and dairy, every single ingredient is EASY to find at supermarkets! Better still, you probably have every single ingredient right this second!
- Perfect texture and flavor. Texture-wise, it’s soft, chewy, and melts in your mouth (seriously!). In terms of taste, it’s sweet, flavored with peanut butter and mouthfuls of chocolate chips. If you love the sweet and salty flavor, you’ll be obsessed!
- Quick and easy. No chill time is needed, so you can have a plate of these cookies in just 12 minutes.
What we love about this recipe is that they are the kind of dessert you can make in a pinch when the peanut butter chocolate cravings strike!
As mentioned earlier, you only need four ingredients to make chocolate chip peanut butter cookies. Here’s everything that it calls for.
- Peanut Butter– Smooth and drippy peanut butter is necessary- don’t try and use crunchy, or it won’t mix well. I used salted peanut butter, as I love the sweet and salty combination, but you can use regular peanut butter if you aren’t a fan.
- Sugar– Brown sugar, white sugar, coconut palm sugar, and sugar-free sweeteners all work (like allulose). I like using dark brown sugar as it gives the cookies a soft texture in the middle.
- Egg– Helps bind the cookies together and prevents them from spreading too much.
- Chocolate– I like to use chocolate chips and a chopped-up chocolate bar, so there is plenty of chocolate in every bite.
How to make peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
Peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips are so simple: just use a good mixing spoon because it’s quite the arm workout!
- Make the cookie dough: In a large mixing bowl, add your peanut butter, sugar, and egg and mix well until just combined. Fold through your chocolate chips using a rubber spatula, reserving a few to top the cookies with.
- Shape the cookies: Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Lightly wet your hands, then form 12 balls of dough. Place the dough balls on the lined tray and lightly press each one into a thick cookie shape. Top with extra chocolate chips.
- Bake: Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes in a preheated oven (180C/350F). Remove the cookies once the edges begin to brown, and allow to cool on the tray completely.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Do not overmix the dough; otherwise, they become more fragile once they have cooled down.
- Use a mix of chocolate chips and chopped pieces to ensure every bite has some chocolate!
- If you prefer thicker/chunky cookies, refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours.
- To avoid your cookies spreading, add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and chill the dough.
- Do not overbake the cookies, even if they seem under-baked; the cookies continue to cook as they cool down.
- Feel free to replace the chocolate chips with something else, like chopped nuts, dried fruit, or coconut.
To store: Leftover cookies will keep well at room temperature in a sealed container for up to one week. If you want to keep them longer, store them in the fridge for up to two weeks.
To freeze: Place the cooled cookies in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More delicious Cookies you’ll love
- Cashew Butter Cookies
- Almond Butter Cookies (3 ingredients!)
- Brownie Cookies
- Strawberry cookies
- Blueberry cookies
Frequently asked questions
Yes! These cookies can easily be made vegan and eggless. While any egg substitute works, I find the best texture is from using ground chia seed. Combine 3 tablespoons of it to the dough and if it needs more, add an extra tablespoon.
Easily make these cookies nut-free by substituting the peanut butter with either smooth sunflower seed butter or smooth tahini. If you can’t tolerate peanuts, use almond butter.
If you want to make the cookie dough but don’t want to bake it immediately, wrap the bowl with plastic or saran wrap and place it in the fridge.
Chilled cookie dough can be kept refrigerated for up to 5 days. Be sure to let it sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before baking.
Unfortunately not. This dough has no flour or wheat, meaning it will crumble once it thaws.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your peanut butter, sugar, and egg and mix well, until just combined. Fold through your chocolate chips, reserving a few to top the cookies with.
- Using your hands, form 12 balls of dough and place them on the lined tray. Press each ball into a slight cookie shape, topping each one with extra chocolate chips.
- Bake your cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until just golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool on the tray completely.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.