Baked sweet potato tots are a healthy and grain free twist on traditional sweet potato tater tots. Made with just 3 ingredients and loaded with shredded zucchini, they make a fantastic appetizer or veggie side dish!
Growing up, potato tots, or as they are called here, potato gems were my favorite way to enjoy potatoes. Crispy and bite sized potatoes with the most irresistible crispy exterior. After trying out a sweet potato version of it, I was swayed and had a new favorite way of enjoying potatoes.
Making my own homemade version was a given, and I even gave it a healthy spin!
These sweet potato tots are baked, not fried, but you won’t miss the oil. They are seriously addictive, crispy, crunchy, but soft on the inside! They also have a secret veggie packed in it! Naturally gluten free and vegan, they are also completely paleo, too!
If there is a sneaky way to get your kids to eat their veggies or if you want a fun spin on classic potato snacks, these tater tots will be your new favorite!
How do you make sweet potato tots
- Sweet Potatoes– Pre-cooked and cooled completely. Mash the sweet potato until pureed (like mashed potatoes).
- Zucchini– Shredded zucchini with the moisture squeezed out. This gives an extra boost of veggies, but you won’t taste it whatsoever!
- Almond flour– To coat the sweet potato tots with, without any flour or grains.
- Salt and pepper- Adds some flavor. This is just the basic ones, feel free to add some cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or more.
Making these baked tots is so simple. Start by mixing together your mashed sweet potato with zucchini until combined. Add your spices. Using your hands, form bite sizes tots with it. Roll each of the tots in the almond flour, until coated in it. Bake the sweet potato tots at 200C/400F for 35 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Can I substitute the almond flour
If you don’t follow a grain free diet, you can replace the almond flour with either all purpose flour, bread crumbs, or panko bread crumbs!
I prefer the panko bread crumbs, as they have this addictive crispy exterior. Be sure to use gluten free panko crumbs, if needed.
Can I use an air fryer?
If you have an air fryer, save time by making air fryer sweet potato tots!
No need to preheat the oven- Simply prepare the sweet potato tots as directed, and place them on a single layer in the air fryer rack. Bake for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Although air fryers don’t need to be greased, I recommend a light spray on the sides to avoid them sticking.
Tips for the best sweet potato tots
- Be sure to squeeze out as much liquid from the zucchini as possible, so when you mix it with the sweet potato, it remains thick and sturdy.
- Spritz some oil over the tots before placing them in the oven, for the ultra crispy texture.
- Be sure to coat the potatoes with the almond flour completely, so they cook evenly.
- Add extra spices and flavorings to the tots- Fold through nutritional yeast, parmesan cheese, or even some green onion.
Storing and Freezing Tips
- To store: Store leftover baked tots in the refrigerator, in a sealed container. They will keep well for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place leftover tots in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To reheat: Reheat the tots in a pre-heated oven (180C/350F) for 8-10 minutes, or in the air fryer for 5 minutes.
More healthy snacks to try
- Baked Curly Fries
- 2 Ingredient Naan
- Tortilla Chips
- Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks
Watch how to make it
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Baked Sweet Potato Tots recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Baked Sweet Potato Tots
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini shredded, approximately 2 large zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Bake the sweet potatoes either in the microwave or oven. Once they are cool enough to handle, peel them. In a mixing bowl, mash the sweet potatoes with a fork.
- Shred the zucchini. Use a dishtowel or nut milk bag to squeeze out any extra liquid. Add the zucchini to the sweet potato along with the salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Break off small pieces of this mixture and roll/shape them into tater tots. One by one, toss the tater tots in the almond flour to lightly coat them on all sides. Arrange on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Cool briefly, then enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.