This lemon cheesecake is rich, tangy, and made with just 6 ingredients! Minimal prep required, this no bake recipe is so easy to make!
I’m yet to find someone who does not love cheesecake.
Regardless of whichever diet you follow, cheesecake should have a starring role. You might remember that I’ve made a vegan one, a keto one, and a healthy one. The one, however, we make most often is a lemon cheesecake.
Why this recipe works
- 6 Ingredients. Unlike other desserts, this needs few ingredients and they are easy ones at that!
- No baking required. This could not be any more simple to make. The hard part is waiting for it to set.
- Healthier than other desserts. With a few swaps, you can easily cut out the sugar and/or make it keto friendly.
- Minimal prep required. The total hands on time is less than 5 minutes, so you have no excuses.
Can we appreciate just how delicious this recipe is? The texture of the cheesecake is smooth, rich, and creamy, and topped with thick lemon curd. It’s sweet, slightly tart, and with notes of citrus, without being overpowering!
As we mentioned earlier, this recipe needs just 6 ingredients. They are also simple ones too, that you can find at any grocery store or better yet, you already have them in your pantry. Here is what you’ll need:
- Pie crust. I used a homemade graham cracker crust, but any 9-inch pie crust can be used.
- Cream cheese. Softened cream cheese, from a block and not from a tub (spreadable cream cheese).
- Powdered sugar. Also known as confectioners sugar.
- Heavy cream. Gives the cheesecake extra creaminess, and balances out the tartness of the cream cheese.
- Lemon juice. Fresh or bottled can be used.
- Yellow food coloring. Optional, but gives the cheesecake the glorious yellow hue.
- Lemon curd. Optional, but gives an extra layer of sweet lemon on top. Either store bought or homemade curd.
How to make a lemon cheesecake
Simple is an understatement for this recipe. The total hands on time is under five minutes and the hard part is waiting for it to chill…but I promise you it is worth it!
Step 1- Make the crust
Start by preparing your crust and refrigerating it until the filling is made. I like to allow at least 20 minutes chilling time so the crust has time to firm up.
Step 2- Make the filling
Next, in a large mixing bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese and the powdered sugar, until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat together until smooth and thick.
Transfer into the prepared pie crust and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
Step 3- Add lemon curd
Once the cheesecake has set, spread with a lemon spread if desired. If you do this step, chill the cheesecake once more for 30 minutes for the curd to firm up slightly. Once set, slice and serve.
Tips to make the best recipe
- You must refrigerate the cheesecake for at least 6 hours, or preferably overnight. This not only thickens the cheesecake filling beautifully, but allows the lemon flavor to seep throughout the mixture.
- Please ensure all your ingredients are close to room temperature, to make mixing the filling easier and void of any clumps.
- For an even more pronounced lemon flavor, add some lemon zest to the filling.
- Serve lemon cheesecake with a scoop of coconut ice cream or ice cream, for the ultimate dessert.
Dietary swaps and substitutions
What we adore about this cheesecake is just how versatile it is. Want to make it keto? No problem. Have a dairy allergy? Got you covered. Here is everything we’ve tested:
- Cut the carbs. Easily make this keto friendly by swapping out the sugar for keto powdered sugar.
- Skip the dairy. With dairy free options of cream cheese and heavy cream at most grocery stores, this is a simple swap.
- Add more citrus. If you want this a little less tangy, swap out half the lemon with orange or blood orange juice.
- Make these into bars. For lemon cheesecake bars, simply prepare the crust in a square pan (8 x 8-inch), covered completely with parchment paper.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Cheesecake softens when left at room temperature. As such, you must keep the cheesecake stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will remain fresh for up to 2 weeks. If you do prefer a creamier cheesecake, let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, before enjoying it.
- To freeze: Place lemon cheesecake slices in a shallow container and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More cheesecake recipes to try
- Coconut cheesecake
- Strawberry cheesecake
- Blueberry Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake
Frequently Asked Questions
Always choose cream cheese over mascarpone in a cheesecake recipe. It not only lends a better flavor, but is much sturdier too, so you never have to worry about it falling apart.
Although lemons are naturally sour, they compliment the sweetness and tartness to have a lovely tang.
For a crustless lemon cheesecake, simply omit the crust.
Lemon Cheesecake With 6 Ingredients | No Baking RequiredPrint Rate
- Prepare your cheesecake crust and refrigerate until ready to fill.
- In a mixing bowl with a beater attached, add your softened cream cheese and powdered sugar, and beat until smooth. Add the double cream, lemon juice, and yellow food coloring and beat until smooth and thick.
- Transfer the mixture onto the prepared pie crust. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator and if desired, top with a thick layer of lemon curd.