An easy to put together dessert or sweet treat recipe combining your favorite crackers, caramelised apples and paleo-friendly salted caramel sauce! This healthy no bake salted caramel slice takes minutes to make and is naturally gluten-free, vegan and low in sugar!
Baby Spice- You’re crown is about to be ripped from you, masculine style.
Happy Tuesday folks!
I’m stoked to be partaking in a virtual baby shower (Big shout out to Chris for organising this!) for one of my great blogging mates today- Dave! Dave and his wife, Laura (who is the most genius person I’ve ever NOT met- She suggests throwing everything into a taco and calling it dinner. I see cake tacos happening tonight…) are expecting a little boy this November! To celebrate, a bunch of us have come together to share a recipe and lament about how Dave
has an apple fetish is a legend.
I actually owe Dave a huge thank you for everything he’s helped me with regarding blogging. Prior to moving to America, Dave was a huge help in well…everything.
From blogging, living situations and suggestions on where to reside in the Northern Hemisphere. He also was the one who encouraged me to take a stab of making this blog my career. Fast forward several months later and I’m able to do what I love, day in day out and without the support, advice and reality checks from Dave- It wouldn’t have happened.
Long term and newer readers of Dave’s blog would know this guy is a genius in the kitchen. Each week, I anticipate what three unique recipes he’ll be sharing with us. From waffles, to fresh cakes to PIZZAS MADE WITH BEER; It’s like those rare mixed bags of candy which every single item in it is a winner.
When it came to coming up with a recipe today, I was stumped. Initially, I was going to make no bake toffee-less apples which were apples on a stick. I then opted out of that because that’s too genius of a recipe. In the end I came up with this beauty- No bake salted Caramel apple spice which is even healthy-ish too!
This healthier no bake salted caramel slice is a twist on a festive staple in my household- The 3 ingredient no bake salted caramel slice. There are two ways to make this- The easiest and fastest (healthy for the soul) method or the easy but slightly longer (healthier for the heart AND soul) method. The easy method involves your favorite cracker + caramel sauce + apple pie filling and voila- Done. The reason I trialled it with the latter option is for my friends whom are vegan and gluten-free- The salted caramel sauce, crackers and apple pie filling are all compliant.
NOTE- Please follow the storage instructions carefully- Unlike my 3 ingredient salted caramel slice, this recipe is best eaten fresh or stored separately to avoid sogginess.
Make this delicious healthier no bake salted caramel apple slice and let’s raise our beers, babies and apples to Dave, Laura and Baby Spice.
Healthy No Bake Salted Caramel Apple Slice
- 1 x 125 gram package of crackers I used Ogran Organic
- Homemade caramel sauce see below
- Homemade apple pie filling see below
- sea salt
Homemade caramel sauce
- 1 cup coconut sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 water
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- sea salt
Apple pie filling
- 1 x package of your favorite plain crackers- e.g. Saltines Premium (125 grams)
- 1/2- 1 cup your favorite caramel sauce
- 1/2- 1 cup apple pie filling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare your salted caramel sauce as follows- heat a saucepan with the water and sugar until it begins to boil. Ensure you stir the mixture constantly. Add the sea salt and coconut oil (or butter) and continue stirring on medium heat until it thickens and remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Prepare your apple pie filling by combining all ingredients in a microwave safe bowl or stovetop and warming up until apples are soft and caramelised. Set aside to firm up slightly.
- Layer a large baking tray or cookie sheet with 1 layer of tin foil and 1 layer of baking paper. Cover evenly with the plain crackers and cover with a thin layer of caramel, but enough to cover all the crackers. Top with apple pie filling, extra caramel and serve immediately.
- Follow as above.
This can be prepped in advance and is freezer friendly- Simply pre-prepare your caramel and apple pie filling and freeze and cover and thaw completely before serving.
This CAN be baked all together but you'd need to cook the caramel and crackers seperately before adding the apple pie filling.
Big thanks once again to Chris for organising it and be sure to check out the other bloggers taking part below!
Chocolate Bacon Toffee by Bakerita
Philadelphia Cheesesteak – Southern Style by Beer Girl Cooks
Shredded BBQ Chicken Nachos by Blahnik Baker
Cider Braised Brisket by Foodness Gracious
Mini Croques Monsieur Sandwiches by Hip Foodie Mom
Wolfpack-Style Meatballs by The Iron You
Pecan Praline Popcorn by Jem Of The South
No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Pecan Tarts by Kevin Is Cooking
A genius creation by Real Food By Dad
Cinnamon Bacon Donuts by Runnin Srilankan
Buffalo Garlic Knots by Shared Appetite
Maple Bourbon Bacon Chocolate Donuts by URBAN BAKES
PS- Can we take a moment to cry some tears that Gweneth Paltrow stole the name ‘Apple’ already? Ok.