This snickerdoodle cake is a simple yet elegant dessert recipe that comes together in less than 25 minutes! Full of sweet, cinnamon flavor, this cake has no eggs, no butter, no milk in it!
If you love a good snickerdoodle cookie, you are going to love this snickerdoodle cake recipe.
For those who don’t know what snickerdoodle is, it’s essentially a fancier name for cinnamon. Just like my lemon blueberry cake and vanilla cake, this is one of the easiest baked goods you’ll ever make!
Why this recipe works
- No eggs, no butter, no milk. Unlike a traditional bakery cake, this one needs none of those in it.
- Ready in 25 minutes. This is the kind of cake you can make with very little time.
- Vegan and gluten-free. With no dairy in it, this cake is naturally vegan and can easily be made gluten-free.
Can we lament about the texture? It is moist, fluffy, and with a light crumb. It’s sweet and full of cinnamon flavor, without being overpowering.
What is snickerdoodle cake made of
This recipe calls for simple and affordable pantry staple ingredients that you most likely already have on hand. Here is what you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour. Either white all-purpose flour or if you’d like this cake to also be gluten-free, you can use gluten-free flour. Be sure to use one that has added xanthan gum to it, or else your cake will be gummy.
- White and brown sugar. A combination of white and brown sugar gives the cake a tender crumb while keeping the cake itself moist and fluffy in the middle.
- Cinnamon, The key ingredient for a snickerdoodle cake! If you can get your hands on Saigon cinnamon, please use that- It has (in my opinion) the best cinnamon flavor I have come across.
- Baking soda. This leavening agent gives the cake some rise.
- Cream of tartar. Reacts with the vinegar to hold the cake together.
- Salt. Brings out the sweetness of all the ingredients.
- Oil. Use a neutral flavored oil, like canola, vegetable, or even refined coconut oil.
- Vanilla extract. A must for any cake or muffin recipe!
- Vinegar. White vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Water. To mix everything together. You can use milk if you prefer.
- Vanilla frosting.
How to make it
Besides a few minutes prep to make the cake batter, this recipe is pretty much hands off!
Step 1- Make the cake batter
Start by adding all your dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Whisk it all together until combined.
Next, add your wet ingredients, and mix until a thick batter remains.
Step 2- Bake the cakes
Carefully distribute the batter amongst three 8-inch cake pans and bake for around 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Step 3- frost the cake
While the cake is cooling, prepare your frosting. Once the cakes are cool, you can layer up the cake by spreading half the frosting on one of the cakes. Add the second cake on top, before covering the outside and tops of the layer cake with the remaining frosting. Sprinkle with cinnamon and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Can I use this recipe to make snickerdoodle muffins?
If you’d like to make snickerdoodle muffins or snickerdoodle cupcakes, you can easily use this exact cake batter for it!
Simply prepare the batter as instructed, then make the following changes-
- Distribute the batter amongst 24 greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out just clean.
- Let muffins cool completely, before frosting.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Use springform cake pans for easy removal. I like placing a circular piece of parchment paper on the bottom (I just measure the paper out and cut around it) to avoid any potential sticking.
- Your cakes must be cooled completely before frosting.
- If you’d like to make this a single-layer cake, simply halve the ingredients.
- To store: Leftover cake should be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 2 weeks. Let the cake sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, before enjoying it.
- To freeze: Place the cake in a freezer-friendly container and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
More easy cake recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Snickerdoodle is a sugar and cinnamon flavor and is often prominent during the holiday season.
This cake tastes delicious with or without frosting.
Snickerdoodle Cake (No eggs or dairy!)
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons oil canola, vegetable, or any neutral flavored oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vinegar white or apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups water or any milk of choice
- 2 cups cream cheese frosting
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease 3 8-inch cake pans and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. Next, add your wet ingredients and mix until combined and smooth.
- Distribute the cake batter amongst the three cake pans. Bake the cakes for 25-27 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the pans completely, before frosting in between each one and covering with extra frosting on top and on the sides. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes so the frosting can stick to the cake and firm up.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Looks 😋 How much Xantham Gum do you recommend with GF flour?
Choose one that has it mixed in already 🙂
can i use allulose or erythritol to replace the sugar? thank you
Definitely allulose 🙂