This strawberry almond milk is a homemade and sugar free take on the classic strawberry flavored milk! 3 main ingredients and perfect enjoyed both warm and chilled!
Strawberry almond milk
Growing up, my mom was never one to let my sister and I drink flavored milk and sodas. She was (rightfully so) under the impression that they were loaded with sugar and our household never had any on hand. The one exception to this was strawberry flavored milk, which mom thought (because of the strawberries) was healthy. Little did she know that it had just as much, if not more sugar than its counterparts.
Now, my sister and I used to go through so much strawberry flavored milk, it was borderline ridiculous. When we both reached our teens, my sister developed a mild dairy intolerance, so we stopped having it around the house. Since then, I’ve been yearning for a dairy free version, but no brand currently makes it. While we are both still awaiting the day for almond milk to have flavors outside of vanilla and chocolate, I’ve resorted to making my own!
I’ve been meaning to share a strawberry almond milk recipe for quite some time. It reminds me so much of my favorite childhood flavored milk, but healthier! It’s made with simple ingredients and takes minutes to prep.
No sugar and no dairy are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is smooth and silky, just like any good milk should be. It’s sweet and full of strawberry flavor, without being overpowering.
I saw my sister recently and gave her a bottle of this strawberry milk and she could NOT believe that it was low carb and sugar free- She thought it tasted just as good as our childhood favorite, if not better!
How do you make strawberry almond milk?
- Unsweetened almond milk– I used plain unsweetened milk but you can also use the vanilla one.
- Strawberries– Sliced strawberries. Fresh or frozen can be used.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– I used erythritol, but monk fruit sweetener or any granulated sweetener works.
- Water– Just a little to make the strawberry syrup.
- Red food coloring– Optional, but enhances the pink color.
Start by adding your strawberries, sweetener, and water to a small saucepan. Bring it to a simmer, while stirring regularly. Once it has reduced (around 15 minutes), remove it from the heat. Next, strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl, and discard any excess strawberry flesh. Let the syrup cool completely.
Now, add the almond milk into a large jug. Whisk in the strawberry syrup and whisk very well, until combined. Add food coloring, if desired, before refrigerating it until chilled.
Tips to make the best homemade strawberry milk
- This milk is pleasantly sweet. If you plan to use the strawberry milk in smoothies or other recipes, you can halve the amount of syrup you add to the milk. Do not reduce the sweetener amount, or else you’ll it hard for it to form a syrup.
- You must sieve the syrup before adding it to the milk, or else there will be clumps of strawberries throughout.
- For the ultimate drink, replace the coconut milk in this strawberry smoothie with the strawberry milk.
Storing and freezing strawberry milk
- To store: The milk should always be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place the milk in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator completely.
More keto drink recipes to try
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Strawberry Almond Milk recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Strawberry Almond Milk
- 2 cups almond milk unsweetened plain or vanilla
- 1/2 cup strawberries sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener of choice * See notes
- 1/4 cup water
- Transfer your almond milk into a large jug and set it aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring your strawberries, sweetener, and water to a boil. While stirring regularly, let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, until it thickens.
- Strain the mixture through a mesh strainer, into a small bowl. Let the mixture cool slightly. Once cooled, pour the syrup into the jug of almond milk and whisk together, until smooth and combined.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.