These vegan biscuits are buttery, flaky, and come together in no time! No yeast or dairy needed, these are made American style and made in one bowl. Gluten free option.
The best vegan biscuits
Comfort food is a must regardless of whatever diet you follow.
With a vegan diet, there are many ways to satisfy the cravings. Some classics we regularly make include vegan brownies and vegan chocolate chip cookies, but when we want something a little more simple (and savory- like pizza or chili) we love making biscuits.
What are American biscuits?
American biscuits are a type of quick bread. Fluffy and flaky in texture, they are often made with butter and buttermilk. They can be enjoyed both sweet and savory, with either jam or gravy. Although, I tend to prefer them with a smear of butter!
Why this vegan biscuit recipe will be a baking staple-
- 5 Ingredients. Seriously, count them yourself. These are also basic pantry ingredients too.
- Buttery and flaky. They tick all the boxes in terms of texture and flavor.
- Quick to make. From prep to plate, this entire recipe takes minutes to make.
- No yeast needed. We consider this a quick bread for a reason and there is no time wasted for it to rest or sit.
What we love about this recipe is just how much they taste like actual biscuits! There is a misconception that without using dairy ingredients, the flavor will be compromised, but that is not the case!
You will love the simple ingredient list to make this recipe. You’ve probably already got everything in your pantry as we speak! Here is what you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour. Also referred to as plain flour. If your flour is clumpy, be sure to sift it first. You can use gluten-free all-purpose flour too.
- Baking powder. A must to ensure the biscuits are leavened well. Do not substitute or omit.
- Salt. A must for any bread or baked good.
- Vegan butter OR vegan margarine. Either vegan butter or vegan margarine works. I recommend butter, as it is a firmer texture and provides an even fluffier and flaky texture.
- Milk of choice. I used unsweetened almond milk, but oat milk and other plant-based milks can also be used.
How to make vegan biscuits
Also referred to as baking powder biscuits or yeast-free scones, these homemade biscuits need just 5 ingredients and follow a simple 4-step process. Honestly, the oven takes care of all the hard work. Let’s make it!
Step 1- Prep the oven
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
Step 2- Make the biscuit dough
Next, prepare the dough by combining your dry ingredients, and mixing well. Then, add your chopped up vegan butter and mix into the dough until a crumbly, coarse texture remains. Pour in your milk and stir until just combined.
Step 3- Shape into biscuits
Now, lightly flour a kitchen surface and transfer your biscuit dough onto it. If it is a little sticky, add a tablespoon of flour on top of it. Roll the dough out, about an inch thick. Then, using a scone or cookie cutter, cut out the biscuits and place them on the lined pan.
Step 4- Bake them
Finally, bake the biscuits (scones) for 12-15 minutes, or until they go golden brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, brush with melted vegan butter, if desired.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Your vegan butter or margarine should be firm, and NOT melted or soft. You want the dough (before adding the milk) to be crumbly and course. If your butter is melted or too soft, your cooked biscuits will not be as fluffy or flaky.
- Do not over-mix the dough- you want it just combined. Over-mixing will flatten the biscuits and they will not rise as much.
- Remove from the oven when they are just golden brown- They may look undercooked, but they continue to cook as they cool down.
- You want the biscuits to be flaky and buttery, so be careful when you transfer them to the cooling rack- they will be fragile!
To store: Leftovers can be stored at room temperature in a sealable container, for up to 5 days. They can also be stored in the refrigerator, for up to 14 days (2 weeks).
To freeze: Freeze leftover biscuits in a ziplock bag, and keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. They can also be frozen individually for quick grab and go breakfasts or snacks.
Thawing: Biscuits must be thawed to room temperature before reheating. It is best to thaw overnight in the fridge. If not, you can also thaw it at room temperature, but do so early on!
To reheat: You can either reheat it in the microwave or in the oven. Heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, or in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
More vegan bread recipes to try
- Yeast-free Soda Bread
- 2 Ingredient Pizza Dough
- 2 Ingredient Bagels
- Soft Pretzels
- Garlic Knots
Frequently Asked Questions
Pillsbury brand of biscuit dough is not suitable for vegans as they contain dairy and egg products in them.
Biscuits are like British-style scones but are not the same. If you’d like to make scones, try almond flour ones.
Depending on whether you like sweet or savory dishes, you can serve these a plethora of ways.
For something sweet, try homemade Nutella or almond butter. If you’d like this as a dipping vehicle, pair it with some broccoli cheese soup, chicken soup, or a creamy korma.
Vegan biscuits With 5 Ingredients | Buttery And Flaky
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your flour, baking powder, and salt. Add your chopped butter, and use your hands to mix into the dough, until a crumbly, thick texture remains. Add your milk and mix until just combined.
- Lightly flour a kitchen surface. Transfer your dough onto it. Roll out the dough until it is an inch in thickness. Then, use a biscuit or scone cutter to cut the biscuits out, and place on the baking tray. If desired, brush some extra butter on top.
- Bake the biscuits for 12-15 minutes, until it just begins to brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.