These healthy banana muffins are made without eggs or dairy, but you’d never tell! Moist and fluffy, these vegan and gluten free muffins use just ONE bowl!
Growing up, banana muffins were a staple in my household. Every week, my mum would make a batch of incredible banana muffins that rivaled any bakery out there.
I’ve revamped her classic recipe to give it a vegan and gluten free makeover!
Whenever I veganise or try a recipe without eggs, I’m often afraid that it won’t be as good as it’s ‘made with eggs’ counterpart.
However, I was VERY impressed with these ones.
Its texture is just what you want in a gorgeous banana muffin- Fluffy and moist on the inside, incredibly tender on the outside.
Taste-wise, it’s sweet, loaded with warm cinnamon spices, and perfect paired with coffee, tea, or a small smear of butter.
How do you make vegan gluten free banana muffins
While you can easily make these muffins in just one bowl, you can make it even easier, by using a stand mixer!
- Bananas– Mashed, overripe bananas work best. Use either 3 large bananas or 4 medium bananas.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Any granulated sweetener will work- White sugar, brown sugar or coconut sugar. To keep it sugar free, use granulated monk fruit sweetener.
- 1 flax egg– Replaces any need for eggs in the recipe! To make a flax egg, combine 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 2.5-3 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 10 minutes, for a gel to form.
- Dairy free butter– A vegan butter substitute, you can also use coconut oil, but it won’t be as tender.
- All-purpose flour– Use either all-purpose white flour or whole wheat flour. For gluten free banana muffins (as pictured), I used Gluten Free flour.
- Baking soda– To help the muffins rise.
- Baking powder– aids the baking soda!
- Salt– To bring out the sweetness!
- Vanilla extract– A must for all sweet baked goods!
- Step 1- Prepare the flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 2.5 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 10 minutes, for a gel to form.
- Step 2- Add the wet ingredients into a large mixing bowl, or stand mixer. Mix until combined. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well, until fully incorporated.
- Step 3- Distribute amongst 12 muffin tins, about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out just clean.
Can I use eggs If I am not vegan?
For those of you who don’t follow a vegan diet, you can replace the flax egg by using whole eggs.
Simply swap out the ground flaxseed and water combination (what is used to make a flax egg) with one whole egg. Be sure the egg is at room temperature too.
How many calories in a vegan banana muffin?
These healthy muffins are what I love to call the 150 calorie muffin. Per one muffin, you’ll find only 3 grams of fat and just 150 calories.
Store-bought banana muffins usually clock in 350 calories- You save 200 calories with this recipe! If you want a low carb version, try a low carb banana bread.
Healthy Banana Muffin storage tips
- To store: Vegan banana muffins must be stored in the fridge, to avoid them spoiling. Either wrap them individually in saran wrap or plastic wrap or place them all on a plate and cover that completely with the wrap. They will keep fresh for 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Vegan banana muffins are freezer friendly and are suitable to be frozen to enjoy later. Again, wrap them individually to avoid having to thaw them all out (these cannot be re-frozen once thawed!) and place them in ziplock bags. Frozen banana muffins will freeze well for 6 months.
- To thaw: Thaw frozen banana muffins at room temperature, or allow to sit overnight in the fridge. Do not microwave or heat in the oven from a frozen state, or else they will become soggy!
More easy vegan baking recipes
- Best Vegan Banana Bread
- 3 Ingredient Flourless Cookies
- Banana Bread Breakfast Bars (3 Ingredients!)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola
- 4 Ingredient No Bake Granola Bars
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Banana Muffins (Vegan + GF) recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Healthy Banana Muffins (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- 3 large bananas
- 1/2 cup sugar of choice brown, white, coconut, monk fruit
- 1 large egg OR egg substitute flax egg, chia egg etc * See notes
- 1/3 cup vegan butter can use butter if not vegan
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Flour of choice White, wholewheat OR all-purpose ** See notes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a 12-count muffin tin with muffin liners and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or mixing bowl, add your bananas (mashed), sugar, egg substitute (or egg) and butter and mix until combined. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Distribute the batter amongst the muffin liners, about 2/3 of the way full. If desired, top with chopped walnuts. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in the muffin tin for 20 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.