The BEST vegan zucchini bread recipe made in just one bowl! A moist and tender crumb, it’s a healthy and wholesome sweet bread made without eggs and without butter! Gluten-free, too.
Healthy Zucchini Bread Recipe
I am always thankful when zucchini season comes around.
And ALWAYS a loaf of my favorite vegan zucchini bread.
I can’t believe it has taken me this long to share it! This vegan zucchini bread is one of my all-time favorite healthy sweet bread recipes to make, especially when I’m trying to impress my non-vegan friends or friends who think it is odd to add zucchini to anything sweet.
WHY THIS IS THE BEST VEGAN ZUCCHINI BREAD
- It’s moist and fluffy on the inside, but tender on the outside. However, there are no eggs and no butter in it, but you’d never tell.
- One bowl is all you need- It’s an easy combine, mix, and bake!
- This eggless zucchini bread has been tried and tested by non-vegans, who are always the toughest critics. They were OBSESSED with it, and begged me for the recipe!
- Many vegan zucchini bread recipes call for a banana, but nope- this one has NO banana in it. Instead, it uses a secret ingredient to provide extra moisture.
- It’s healthy enough for breakfast and is super low in sugar. In fact, you can easily make this 100% sugar free.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN ZUCCHINI BREAD
- All-purpose flour. White flour, gluten-free flour, or white whole wheat flour all can be used. White whole wheat flour has more fiber, so use that for an extra health boost!
- Baking powder. Gives the bread some rise and fluffiness.
- Baking soda. The leavening agent to give the bread the rise when paired with the baking powder.
- Sugar or substitute. White sugar, brown sugar, or a sugar-free substitute all work. I’ve also tried this with coconut palm sugar and really enjoyed the flavor.
- Cinnamon. Gives the bread the delicious flavor, and pairs beautifully with the zucchini.
- Non-Dairy yogurt. My secret ingredient! Non-dairy yogurt replaces the need for any butter. Using non-dairy yogurt also means we don’t need to use any banana!
- Zucchini. A must, obviously! Use a firm zucchini, and grate both the skin and the flesh.
- Oil of choice. Coconut oil, vegetable oil, or sunflower oil are all fantastic oils to use in this.
- Vanilla extract. Gives baked goods that extra flavor, and of course, perfect for a loaf of sweet bread.
- Chocolate Chips. Optional, but HIGHLY recommended. I don’t know about y0u, but I LOVE adding chocolate chips to anything and everything.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients, including the zucchini, until combined.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, then fold through the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the zucchini bread batter into a lined loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean!
CAN I SUBSTITUTE THE OIL FOR APPLESAUCE?
I don’t recommend substituting the oil for applesauce or another fat-free starch. This zucchini bread is already low in fat, even with the oil. The oil provides the buttery, rich flavor. It also ensures that the loaf if fluffy and moist while being tender on the outside.
If you really must, reduce the oil by half, to ensure it doesn’t become gummy and hard.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR PERFECT ZUCCHINI BREAD
- If your zucchini is super moist and watery, lightly pat it with a paper towel. You don’t want to squeeze all the moisture out, as it helps the bread be moist.
- Do not overmix the batter, as this can impact how nicely it rises. Gently mix until just combined, before folding through the chocolate chips.
- Oven makes and models vary greatly. Check your loaf around the 55-minute mark, using the skewer test. If the skewer comes out still wet, continue baking.
- To avoid the tops of the loaf browning, I often place aluminum tin foil on top halfway through.
- When placing parchment paper in the loaf pan, ensure there is an inch or so overhanging from it- This ensures super easy removal once it is cooked!
- Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 20 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
HOW TO STORE AND FREEZE HEALTHY ZUCCHINI BREAD
- To store. Place slices of zucchini bread in a sealable container, and keep in the refrigerator. It will keep fresh for up to 7 days.
- To freeze. Once the zucchini bread is sliced, wrap each individual piece in parchment paper or a paper towel, and keep in a ziplock bag. They will keep well in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To thaw. Either refrigerate overnight or zap in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
More delicious vegan quick bread recipes
- Best Vegan Banana Bread (Fan favorite!)
- One Bowl Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Blueberry Banana Bread
- Vegan Lemon Loaf Cake
- Strawberry Banana Bread
Best Vegan Zucchini Bread (Gluten-Free!)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour gluten-free, if needed * See notes
- 1 cup sugar of choice ** See notes
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp oil of choice *** See notes
- 6 tbsp non-dairy yogurt coconut, soy, almond, etc
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini approximately 1 cup
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips Optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a 9 x 4 loaf pan with parchment paper, allowing 1-2 inches overhanging. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix well. In a seperate bowl, mix together your oil, yogurt, vanilla extract and shredded zucchini, and mix until combined.
- Combine your wet and dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold through your chocolate chips.
- Transfer your batter into the lined pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 20 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.