This vegan zucchini bread is a moist and tender loaf that uses simple ingredients! Made in just one bowl, it’s a delicious quick bread recipe.
Vegan baked goods are delicious, but seasonal ones are even better.
If you love our famous vegan banana bread or lemon loaf, then this vegan zucchini bread has to be next on your menu!
Why you’ll love this vegan zucchini bread recipe
- It’s made in one bowl. So you don’t have to worry about a hefty cleanup afterward.
- No egg substitutes. Most vegan desserts or baking requires an egg substitute or flax eggs but not this one!
- Amazing texture. Like concha, this is moist and fluffy on the inside with a tender crumb, this nails the texture.
- Simple ingredients. Flour, spices, and leavening agents- all things you find in any simple pantry. No vegan butter either!
Looking for more zucchini desserts? Try zucchini muffins, cake, or brownies.
This recipe calls for simple pantry staple ingredients. Here is what you’ll need to make this oil free vegan zucchini bread.
- All-purpose flour. Either white flour or whole wheat flour work.
If you follow a gluten-free diet, you can use gluten-free flour. Opt for one that contains xanthan gum in the mix.
- Baking powder and baking soda. Gives the bread some rise and fluffiness.
- Sugar. White, brown, or coconut sugar all work.
- Cinnamon. Gives the bread a delicious flavor, and pairs beautifully with the zucchini.
- Dairy-free yogurt. My secret ingredient! Non-dairy yogurt replaces the need for any butter. Using non-dairy yogurt also means we don’t need to use any bananas!
- Grated zucchini. A must, obviously! Use a firm zucchini, and grate both the skin and the flesh.
- Oil of choice. Coconut oil, olive oil, or canola oil are all fantastic oils to use in this.
- Vanilla extract. Gives baked goods that extra flavor, and of course, perfect for a loaf of sweet bread.
- Chocolate Chips. Optional, but HIGHLY recommended.
How to make an easy vegan zucchini bread
Step 1- make the batter
Stir the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients, including the zucchini, until combined. Combine the wet and dry ingredients until incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, fold through the chocolate chips.
Step 2- bake the zucchini bread
Transfer the mix into a greased loaf pan and use a rubber spatula to even out the top. Bake the vegan zucchini bread for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Let the bread cool completely before slicing and serving.
Tips to make the best recipe
- If your zucchini is watery, lightly pat it with a paper towel. You don’t want to squeeze all the moisture out, as it helps the bread be moist.
- Do not over-mix the batter, as this can affect how nicely it rises. Gently mix until just combined before folding through the chocolate chips.
- Oven makes and models vary. Check your loaf around the 55-minute mark using the skewer test. If the skewer comes out still wet, continue baking.
- To avoid the tops of the loaf browning, I often place tin foil on top halfway through.
- Add mix-ins like walnuts, coconut flakes, or nutmeg.
To store: Leftovers can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. It will keep well for up to three days. To keep it longer, store it in the fridge for up to one week.
To freeze: Place slices of the bread in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Box grater. For that perfectly shredded zucchini.
- Food processor. The cheats way to grating the zucchini.
- Cooling rack. To let the bread cool completely.
More vegan quick bread recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t squeeze out excess moisture from the zucchini, you risk the inside of the loaf being heavy and wet.
If you over-mix the batter, you risk the bread overcooking quickly and yielding gummy slices.
I haven’t tested either of these flour options.
Unsweetened apple sauce or mashed banana can replace it, and you can add some almond milk if it is too thick.
Best Vegan Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour gluten-free, if needed * See notes
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoon oil
- 6 tablespoon yogurt coconut, soy, almond, etc
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup zucchini shredded, approximately 1 large zucchini
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips Optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a 9 x 4 loaf pan with parchment paper, allowing 1-2 inches overhanging. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix well. In a separate bowl, mix together your oil, yogurt, vanilla extract and shredded zucchini, and mix well. Add your wet and dry ingredients together and mix until just combined. Fold through your chocolate chips.
- Transfer your batter into the lined pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 20 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Wonderful zucchini. Bread 😋😋😋😋😋
Thank you so much! 🙂
Hi! If you wanted to use a banana instead of yogurt, how much would you recommend using?
I haven’t tried but you can experiment and see!
Thank you for the recipe! What can I substitute for vegan yogurt? Banana?
I haven’t tried- Feel free to experiment with banana!
Thanks for sharing! I’m going to attempt this in the morning, but I’m out of sugar. Can I use maple syrup or agave or will it be too wet?
I don’t usually comment on Internet Recipes but this one for Gluten-free Vegan Zucchini Bread is outstanding. It has the perfect texture along with a great flavor.
I used Maninis Flour, Coconut milk yogurt and Canola oil.
Our family has lots of food allergies and this recipe helps me feed everyone at once.
Thank you so much for the feedback 🙂
I used fresh ground oats for flour and applesauce for oil. Had no yogurt so I used some soy creamer with vinegar and it was awesome! Best!
So glad it worked with those substitutions 🙂
I’ve never baked zucchini bread before and omg it turned out perfect and was sooooo delicious. Thank you so much for sharing
So glad to hear it 🙂
Seriously the best zucchini bread EVER!
I love that 🙂
Used 1/4 cup of maple syrup instead of sugar, and golden raisins instead of dark chocolate chips.
So delicious! I’m new to GF, DF, Egg free cooking – love all the tips.
husband said this is the best recipe I’ve cooked by far in our 15+ yrs together!!!! THAT is HUGE!!!